LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Vance with a great block on pat peterson

This. If you go through some of the biggest plays last year, McDonald regularly seems to make appearances with a key block here and there, for someone for whom blocking was seen as a major weakness entering the season, he did more than alright.
General Patton

Kid is smart, tough, talented, and ultra motivated. I love the way he runs with the ball in his hands. Strong runner and he charges downhill.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
General Patton

Kid is smart, tough, talented, and ultra motivated. I love the way he runs with the ball in his hands. Strong runner and he charges downhill.

I like Ellington and get that he's the new sexy preseason pick but I do think some are underrating Patton in the process. Patton had just as outstanding of a preseason last year but injuries mostly decimated his rookie season.

Both of them are exceptionally talented and tremendous values for where they were picked. I hope both get a chance to contribute and improve what has been a rather pedestrian passing attack. I think these guys are getting some great hands-on training, working with Boldin, Crabtree, Lloyd...etc. Even Osgood apparently has made quite the impression on them, with all these guys being experienced vets, I see their influence having a strong positive effect on both of these young receivers.
General Patton

I just hope he can stay healthy. He might need to play ST this season
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Patton gonna shine, maybe not as much now that we got SJ, Ellington and Lloyd (I don't think he's getting whacked)... still gonna shine.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I just hope he can stay healthy. He might need to play ST this season

ST is likely his ticket to getting activated on gamedays, especially if Osgood is cut. Might need him to be a gunner.

Meanwhile, he needs to keep pushing the vets for playing time. I don't think SJ was ever in danger of losing the #3 WR job, but I do believe Patton is putting in good work and legitimately challenging him. Ultimately, SJ's track record and the team's investment in him wins out.
ST is likely his ticket to getting activated on gamedays, especially if Osgood is cut. Might need him to be a gunner.

Meanwhile, he needs to keep pushing the vets for playing time. I don't think SJ was ever in danger of losing the #3 WR job, but I do believe Patton is putting in good work and legitimately challenging him. Ultimately, SJ's track record and the team's investment in him wins out.

I actually expect Patton to get a few more looks early on as Johnson continues to adapt and learn the offense. Once Johnson gets locked in, especially with Seattle coming up later in the season, I would think having Johnson on the outside with Crabtree opposite him and Boldin in the slot would be pretty effective.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I actually expect Patton to get a few more looks early on as Johnson continues to adapt and learn the offense. Once Johnson gets locked in, especially with Seattle coming up later in the season, I would think having Johnson on the outside with Crabtree opposite him and Boldin in the slot would be pretty effective.

Would love to see Patton get some looks. I'd hate to see him play through his rookie contract before we find out what he can do on the field. Same with Ellington. We have to carve out a role for these kids somehow.

Once Johnson and Kap get their timing down, it's going to be real hard to find a better WR trio than Crab, Boldin, SJ.
I like how he slows and cuts in just enough to get the AZ LB to free Boldin. He knew what he needed to do without jacking up Daryl Washington and/or potentially jacking himself up.
[ Edited by 74offsuit on Aug 28, 2014 at 2:39 PM ]
he is so overrated & he gets no separation
why is there so much love for him ..

Ellington is already looking better.
who cares if ellington looks better they are both going to be good..people give up on a player way too soon
Not to mention that catch he made on the sideline in the postseason...
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
who cares if ellington looks better they are both going to be good..people give up on a player way too soon

Not sure why people are making this some sort of competition between the two as if the 49ers would only keep one. Both are promising young players that finally give the 49ers some real young, quality depth at receiver.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Patton could get caught in a numbers game...to many good players to few positions.
Share 49ersWebzone