There are 166 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Patton did line up outside some last season and he got abused. Constantly getting tossed especially against Seattle. Having him try to block against that defense was suicide.

I'm not saying he's he's not going to be a good player, and personally think he's going to surprise a lot of people next season. Non 49ers fans at least. I just think he's entirely way too small to paly outside.

He's 6'0" and 205. That's a far cry from Kyle Williams who goes 5'10" and 180ish.

Its not really a matter of his size, but his technique, getting his hands to the inside to get better leverage. I think people way overexaggerate the size thing. I think after a long offseason of training and preparation he'll be far better suited to be a consistent contributor.

Stuff like this is why I think Patton will have a very successful and long-lasting NFL career.

Patton's passion for football was evident right from the start of his NFL career. The young wide receiver's enthusiasm was also co-signed by his college coach. Sonny Dykes, the current head coach at Cal and former leader of Louisiana Tech's football program, spoke with 49ers.com about his team's upcoming home game at Levi's® Stadium. Dykes said the Friday night game against Oregon will bring the Golden Bears get closer to its South Bay fans and help the program's recruiting efforts in showcasing opportunities to play in NFL stadiums.Dykes also raved about his former pupil and credited Patton for helping him change the culture of Louisiana Tech's football program. "He practices with great enthusiasm and showed our team that it was fun to practice hard and compete every day," Dykes said. "He wants to please. Whatever coach Harbaugh wants him to do, he's going to do with a smile on his face. That's why he'll have a great career in the NFL. He's a mix of talent and determination."

http://www.49ers.com/news/blog/article-2/Sonny-Dykes-Praises-Quinton-Patton-Harbaugh-to-Golf-with-Anquan-Boldin-Kaepernick%E2%80%99s-Mechanics/8fdf6ca2-bae2-47ac-bcd2-1d2fd9e60fcc
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM ]
  • thl408
^^ That's a nice testimonial from Dykes. Work ethic can be contagious. Couple it with good coaching and good things can happen. Not sure the 49ers have good coaching when it comes to the WRs though.
Originally posted by thl408:
^^ That's a nice testimonial from Dykes. Work ethic can be contagious. Couple it with good coaching and good things can happen. Not sure the 49ers have good coaching when it comes to the WRs though.

The good thing about a guy like Patton is he's basically a self-starter, if he isn't getting the right coaching from the staff, he'll go and learn all he can from guys like Boldin and Crabtree.
I love Patton's attitude. He made some nice plays for us last year and showed some flashes. I also found him to be a surprisingly tough and eager blocker. Look at him take on Daryl Washington (I think), a Linebacker.

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Patton did line up outside some last season and he got abused. Constantly getting tossed especially against Seattle. Having him try to block against that defense was suicide.

I'm not saying he's he's not going to be a good player, and personally think he's going to surprise a lot of people next season. Non 49ers fans at least. I just think he's entirely way too small to paly outside.

He's 6'0" and 205. That's a far cry from Kyle Williams who goes 5'10" and 180ish.

Its not really a matter of his size, but his technique, getting his hands to the inside to get better leverage. I think people way overexaggerate the size thing. I think after a long offseason of training and preparation he'll be far better suited to be a consistent contributor.

Stuff like this is why I think Patton will have a very successful and long-lasting NFL career.

Patton's passion for football was evident right from the start of his NFL career. The young wide receiver's enthusiasm was also co-signed by his college coach. Sonny Dykes, the current head coach at Cal and former leader of Louisiana Tech's football program, spoke with 49ers.com about his team's upcoming home game at Levi's� Stadium. Dykes said the Friday night game against Oregon will bring the Golden Bears get closer to its South Bay fans and help the program's recruiting efforts in showcasing opportunities to play in NFL stadiums.Dykes also raved about his former pupil and credited Patton for helping him change the culture of Louisiana Tech's football program. "He practices with great enthusiasm and showed our team that it was fun to practice hard and compete every day," Dykes said. "He wants to please. Whatever coach Harbaugh wants him to do, he's going to do with a smile on his face. That's why he'll have a great career in the NFL. He's a mix of talent and determination."

http://www.49ers.com/news/blog/article-2/Sonny-Dykes-Praises-Quinton-Patton-Harbaugh-to-Golf-with-Anquan-Boldin-Kaepernick%E2%80%99s-Mechanics/8fdf6ca2-bae2-47ac-bcd2-1d2fd9e60fcc

Did anyone notice how T.Y. Hilton stacked up against Seattle's corners in the running game? He's tiny.

Maybe Patton just needs to cultivate his mean streak. Who better to learn from than Boldin?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Patton's passion for football was evident right from the start of his NFL career. The young wide receiver's enthusiasm was also co-signed by his college coach. Sonny Dykes, the current head coach at Cal and former leader of Louisiana Tech's football program, spoke with 49ers.com about his team's upcoming home game at Levi's® Stadium. Dykes said the Friday night game against Oregon will bring the Golden Bears get closer to its South Bay fans and help the program's recruiting efforts in showcasing opportunities to play in NFL stadiums.Dykes also raved about his former pupil and credited Patton for helping him change the culture of Louisiana Tech's football program. "He practices with great enthusiasm and showed our team that it was fun to practice hard and compete every day," Dykes said. "He wants to please. Whatever coach Harbaugh wants him to do, he's going to do with a smile on his face. That's why he'll have a great career in the NFL. He's a mix of talent and determination."

But it is the same size as AJ Jenkins, Ted Ginn Jr. and Mario Manningham who we also saw outside often (and got destroyed). Size isn't everything like you noted though...good leverage and technique is critical in sealing/walling off defenders in the run and pass game and that certainly can be taught and perfected...esp. out in space and on the run. Size/strength helps us a lot in our power system and b/c of all the press CB's we face but it's not everything. There is no question Patton has the heart and determination to be tremendous. I'm more worried about who's "developing" him and where we decide to use him mostly (if much at all as McDonald may take up many of those snaps this year).
  • thl408
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I love Patton's attitude. He made some nice plays for us last year and showed some flashes. I also found him to be a surprisingly tough and eager blocker. Look at him take on Daryl Washington (I think), a Linebacker.

Yup, and that gif doesn't do his hustle justice. He came from all the way across the field to get that block.

Yup, and that gif doesn't do his hustle justice. He came from all the way across the field to get that block.

Plus that second gif shows his speed, he had to slow down at the end not to run into Boldin... He will take Crabtree's spot on the roster when we dont resign his Dallas loving ass! Let him get paid and lazy by another team, I love his ability to catch the ball... I do, but he is a great example of "this is just a job" player
Originally posted by irishluder:
Plus that second gif shows his speed, he had to slow down at the end not to run into Boldin... He will take Crabtree's spot on the roster when we dont resign his Dallas loving ass! Let him get paid and lazy by another team, I love his ability to catch the ball... I do, but he is a great example of "this is just a job" player

what a stupid post
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

So true...dude plays his zz off once on the field.

If he can learn to shake like Boldin then he'll be an outstanding receiver for us. Just another guy to watch this year. It's going to be so awesome
Great play. I missed it the first time around.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think Patton would be a fine slot receiver, but I don't think that's his ceiling. I do believe he has starter potential and comes in the mold of a guy like Robert Woods, one of last year's top rookies. I think Patton actually has quicker foot speed than Woods, but might be a tad (and it's by very little) slower, although both are 4.4 players.

This.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
This kid's time to shine is coming soon....
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LVJay:
This kid's time to shine is coming soon....

agreed.

it appeared to me that he often suffered from the quick timing of kap. (Kap is improving in going through progressions but after bolding, crabtree and davis there wasn't much time to get to a patton look - if patton was even in the formation.)
Share 49ersWebzone