There are 219 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Just been re-reading the draft reports on Patton and am so anxious to see this guy get some playing time. His strengths are just what the doctor ordered: gets up to full speed in two steps, which helps him beat CBs for slants and outs; he is a natural hands catcher, good route runner and can plant and turn on a dime. Sounds like a better version of KW...I hope!

Here's the NFL write up: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/quinton-patton?id=2539250

lol how do you say better version of kyle williams when his nfl comparison in the article is reggie wayne.

let's get reggie out there on damn field
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yeah, no. Patton is much more physical, a much better route runner, not super fast but he hits top speed quick and stays there, moves smoothly in and out of his cuts, very good after the catch with the ball in his hands. He's got similar traits as Crabtree, he won't beat you with his athleticism, he'll just outwork you for it.

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
lol how do you say better version of kyle williams when his nfl comparison in the article is reggie wayne.

let's get reggie out there on damn field

My comparison to KW is based on similar movement...speedy and shifty, and will be used in a similar fashion. It is also based on the fact that, for all intents and purposes, Patton will be taking the roster spot KW has vacated...behind Crabtree, Boldin and Manningham. He will likely be the fourth WR if activated...but he might not be as they tend to use one spot for STs.

And Jones--when did Wayne play for the niners? Try using a bit of imagination before responding.
My comparison to KW is based on similar movement...speedy and shifty, and will be used in a similar fashion. It is also based on the fact that, for all intents and purposes, Patton will be taking the roster spot KW has vacated...behind Crabtree, Boldin and Manningham. He will likely be the fourth WR if activated...but he might not be as they tend to use one spot for STs.

And Jones--when did Wayne play for the niners? Try using a bit of imagination before responding.

I am using imagination. I'm using that comparison and having him in the slot with no defense able to focus on him would mean deadly threat that would make it impossible to stop us.

Kyle williams wasn't really used. he was just out there. Patton can actually be used and he showed in limited action more chemistry with Kap than Williams had.

So I don't even want to begin to compare him to Williams, Williams isn't even in his league
I am using imagination. I'm using that comparison and having him in the slot with no defense able to focus on him would mean deadly threat that would make it impossible to stop us.

Kyle williams wasn't really used. he was just out there. Patton can actually be used and he showed in limited action more chemistry with Kap than Williams had.

So I don't even want to begin to compare him to Williams, Williams isn't even in his league

And that was my understated point. Didn't think I needed a drum to get it across...
needs to get PT over manningham.

dude almost cost us the game with his inability to maintain his block

if you cant block or be an effective WR, you have to let someone else do it
And that was my understated point. Didn't think I needed a drum to get it across...

No, I just like expressing.

But...they're really nothing alike. You can't just compare one guy to another because he formerly occupied a roster spot on the team. Patton can play in the slot, he can also play on the outside, Williams is a slot guy who wasn't a very good route runner, built smaller, a different type of receiver, more a deep threat than Patton but not as complete of a receiver. The Reggie Wayne comparison is a good one in terms of how Patton looked in college, now I can only hope that he gets a chance to show it out on the field and make plays for this team.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
needs to get PT over manningham.

dude almost cost us the game with his inability to maintain his block

if you cant block or be an effective WR, you have to let someone else do it

This^......let the youngin play!!!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

But...they're really nothing alike. You can't just compare one guy to another because he formerly occupied a roster spot on the team. Patton can play in the slot, he can also play on the outside, Williams is a slot guy who wasn't a very good route runner, built smaller, a different type of receiver, more a deep threat than Patton but not as complete of a receiver. The Reggie Wayne comparison is a good one in terms of how Patton looked in college, now I can only hope that he gets a chance to show it out on the field and make plays for this team.

Actually you can! We compare Gore to Hunter to James with the greatest of ease...why? Because they play the same position. My point is that Patton is a better version of a crafty, quick receiver. He's not 6'4" nor is he a 4.2 40 guy...they are both similar in that regard and I believe Patton will play a very similar role...although KW was used very seldom...or he was able to be effective seldom.

But...if you try to compare Patton to Boldin, Crabtree or KW it seems fairly obvious he is most like KW in his smooth stride and medium size. Both Boldin and Crabtree are bigger than Patton. As far as the rest is concerned, he will have to demonstrate he is actually better than KW and he hasn't had the chance to do so yet.

Edit--Patton will be the 3rd receiver at best this year and likely the fourth behind Manningham.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM ]
The Quinton Patton Cloak Of Invisibility.

Worn by Many 49ers Rookies this year.

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
The Quinton Patton Cloak Of Invisibility.

Worn by Many 49ers Rookies this year.

this. get this kid some snaps! gonna need him, our WR depth goin into next year is non existent, get him some snaps so were not just crabs and a bunch of rookies next year
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this. get this kid some snaps! gonna need him, our WR depth goin into next year is non existent, get him some snaps so were not just crabs and a bunch of rookies next year

they don't play them they have depth and don't use them
vic just refuses to on defense.

and roman has no idea what to do with them

i know baalke shakes his head almost every game

they don't play them they have depth and don't use them
vic just refuses to on defense.

and roman has no idea what to do with them

i know baalke shakes his head almost every game

on defense we are super deep but theres no reason not to use patton. hes only gonna be the 3rd WR/extra blocker on any given play. get his feet wet and get his confidence up after an injury slowed his development. theyre gonna need him
on defense we are super deep but theres no reason not to use patton. hes only gonna be the 3rd WR/extra blocker on any given play. get his feet wet and get his confidence up after an injury slowed his development. theyre gonna need him

yea we need to use the depth though. not have it on reserve..

on offense there's no excuse. we don't use a whole lot of weapons. that we should

the offense should be dominating as much as the defense is

yea we need to use the depth though. not have it on reserve..

on offense there's no excuse. we don't use a whole lot of weapons. that we should

the offense should be dominating as much as the defense is

seriously, i still dont get why roman never uses james on offense. they drafted him to be a weapon. mcdonald should be farther along in his development and patton should be playing now
Share 49ersWebzone