LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Time for the kid to play. Manningham just doesn't have it right now. Yesterday, only bad things happened when Kap threw to him.

Patton may not be as good of a blocker as Manningham is now even with Mann seeming to struggle. For a third receiver, good blocking may be almost as important as running crisp routes and catching catchable balls. That said, I would like to see what Patton can do.
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Patton may not be as good of a blocker as Manningham is now even with Mann seeming to struggle. For a third receiver, good blocking may be almost as important as running crisp routes and catching catchable balls. That said, I would like to see what Patton can do.

it shouldn't

the 3rd wr should be in the game to run routes and get open

i like that our guys can block
but its becoming ridiculous that they're out there blocking most of the time. like vance or a 3rd wr.

get out there in the field, get open and make plays
Time for the kid to play. Manningham just doesn't have it right now. Yesterday, only bad things happened when Kap threw to him.

Lol I hope that isn't true. Only confirms my suspicion that this team is borderline retarded and backwards when it comes to WRs. Holding back a young, talented HEALTHY WR back because he's not an elite blocker. Christ! Blocking shouldn't be anywhere near a WRs main strengths, good route running, catching ability, and getting open/separation need to be their primary strengths, NOT blocking.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

Lol I hope that isn't true. Only confirms my suspicion that this team is borderline retarded and backwards when it comes to WRs. Holding back a young, talented HEALTHY WR back because he's not an elite blocker. Christ! Blocking shouldn't be anywhere near a WRs main strengths, good route running, catching ability, and getting open/separation need to be their primary strengths, NOT blocking.

Except that we are a running team. Anyways, this team seems to value experience over talent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Personally I would rather see the team incorporate VM allot more into the game plan over either receiver. But Patton will break out next year along with all the rookies barely playing this year. Its gonna be like having two drafts in one.
Really disappointed with Manningham so far. I know he's coming back from a gruesome injury but if he can't perform any better than he has so far then maybe he shouldn't be out there. Not meaning to disrespect Mario, but I just don't think he's ready and I don't know how Patton could be any less effective than Manningham at this stage. The coaches get to see both guys in practice though so we'll have to trust the coaches and hope for either improvement from Mario or hope we'll see the youngster sooner than later. The bad part of all this is that there is no way to activate both WR's. After watching Osgood knock his special teams role out of the park week after week there is no way he can be inactive for a player with no special teams value. Otherwise it would be nice to go with 5 WR's on game day.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Except that we are a running team. Anyways, this team seems to value experience over talent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Personally I would rather see the team incorporate VM allot more into the game plan over either receiver. But Patton will break out next year along with all the rookies barely playing this year. Its gonna be like having two drafts in one.

if we're in 3wr and 4wr sets we ain't running the ball. he isn't competing for the top 2 wr positions. that's sewed up and those 2 are excellent blockers.

keeping him off the field because he can't block as the 3rd or 4th wr can be added to a long list of dumb personnel decisions.

and dumb philosophies that need to change

the offense could be so much better if the coaching staff grew a pair.
sorry but the blocking argument is indeed a valid one. even if we send out 3 wr, it doesnt mean that we will throw the ball. it could also be a help for the running game as,well b/c the opponent have to account for the additional wr, e.g. by sending in another DB and pull a LB instead.

if patton really isnt able to block properly and the opponent notices this fact, he knows what kind of play we will dial up.
we cannot afford to let this happen. we had our Problems with the running game b/c everyone knew that our passing game is crap. we dont need the same issue in the passing game.
I agree about Manningham. Lets see if Patton can play any better than Manningham and at least get him some reps.

He was a good and enthusiastic blocker in college, doubt that he all of a sudden forgot how to do it or can't figure it out in the pro's. It just seems like a continuation of this coaching staff's bias against younger players on offense.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He was a good and enthusiastic blocker in college, doubt that he all of a sudden forgot how to do it or can't figure it out in the pro's. It just seems like a continuation of this coaching staff's bias against younger players on offense.

I was just speculating on a reason why they might stay with Manningham over Patton. It's not just having blocking ability, the receivers need to understand the blocking scheme for the particular play and possibly that could give Manningham, with his greater experience in the offense, an advantage.

As far as we know, maybe they are already planning to play Patton next Sunday.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM ]

Originally posted by communist:
sorry but the blocking argument is indeed a valid one. even if we send out 3 wr, it doesnt mean that we will throw the ball. it could also be a help for the running game as,well b/c the opponent have to account for the additional wr, e.g. by sending in another DB and pull a LB instead.

if patton really isnt able to block properly and the opponent notices this fact, he knows what kind of play we will dial up.
we cannot afford to let this happen. we had our Problems with the running game b/c everyone knew that our passing game is crap. we dont need the same issue in the passing game.

he couldn't be any worse than kyle williams who was out there for half a season as the #2 wr could he?
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
he couldn't be any worse than kyle williams who was out there for half a season as the #2 wr could he?
In the NFL anything can happen, incl. KW's soul switching the bodies and so on
Originally posted by communist:
In the NFL anything can happen, incl. KW's soul switching the bodies and so on

His gold teeth protects his soul. I have some myself.

The coaches just don't like playing young players on either side of the ball

its sad.
Just been re-reading the draft reports on Patton and am so anxious to see this guy get some playing time. His strengths are just what the doctor ordered: gets up to full speed in two steps, which helps him beat CBs for slants and outs; he is a natural hands catcher, good route runner and can plant and turn on a dime. Sounds like a better version of KW...I hope!

Here's the NFL write up: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/quinton-patton?id=2539250
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Just been re-reading the draft reports on Patton and am so anxious to see this guy get some playing time. His strengths are just what the doctor ordered: gets up to full speed in two steps, which helps him beat CBs for slants and outs; he is a natural hands catcher, good route runner and can plant and turn on a dime. Sounds like a better version of KW...I hope!

Here's the NFL write up: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/quinton-patton?id=2539250

Yeah, no. Patton is much more physical, a much better route runner, not super fast but he hits top speed quick and stays there, moves smoothly in and out of his cuts, very good after the catch with the ball in his hands. He's got similar traits as Crabtree, he won't beat you with his athleticism, he'll just outwork you for it.
Share 49ersWebzone