LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 145 users in the forums

New 49er Corey Lemonier

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pfizz:
that left tackle had horrible footwork on that sack by lemonier.

Indeed. I don't know who the RT is but he does a great job. Look at how he maintains the arc in his back while absorbing the rush with his feet.
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 23, 2014 at 11:38 PM ]

Lemonier beat a second year undrafted tackle, Bradley Sowell (first year was with TB). Their current depth chart has him starting again over Nate Potter, who is injured and a 7th rounder. But they've just picked up Veldheer from Oakland, so they might just see a problem there! LOL!

But I love Lemonier and hope he can be the third guy in a rotation with A Smith and Brooks. Give them some rest to be ready in the playoffs!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
that does not take away the nice sack nor the fine potential by this kid
Originally posted by cciowa:
that does not take away the nice sack nor the fine potential by this kid

Actually the footwork is reeeeaally bad.

The thing about the sack is it's a great team effort, and Lemonier shows a glimpse of what he can offer.
  • thl408
Originally posted by eonblue:
Brooks didn't do anything wrong. He's supposed to get low in his stance because he has to create enough leverage with his legs to really explode into that RT. Notice the RT get popped back into the pocket. You can't get that kind of push if you're too high in your stance. Brooks is #1 job here was to compress the pocket. Smith is doing the same thing. They're not trying to shed their blocker off the snap as much as they're trying to drive him back into the pocket, and prevent the QB from stepping up and out of the lane of the edge rush by Lemonier.

I bet that if the center was to slide over to the left to create a 3v2 situation with Smith/Lemonier that it would've triggered Bowmans rush. At that point the center is opening the A gap for Bowman and it would have to be RBs responsibility to block. Bowman versus a RB is a very favorable match up. Bowman is so great in this play because he's holding down that A gap, tracing the RB, and from the snap he's forced the center shade to his right and close down that right A gap. It prevented the protection from sliding over to Smith and Lemonier and let them know pre-snap they were going to be one on one with their man.

I feel good about Lemonier though. I think we're really going to see his value down the road.

Lol, I didn't reallize the breakdown was posted 2 weeks ago. I hope you post more defensive snaps thl. I love breaking that stuff down.

Good stuff man. Like I said, I don't have full confidence breaking down the play in the trenches so it's nice to have another analysis of the play, especially from someone who likes trench play. I thought Brooks being so tilted in his body position was not an ideal posture for generating power. That it's better to have his feet directly underneath his torso (hips) for pushing off. I do see the RT pop back into the pocket due to Brooks exploding into the RT. But after that initial pop, perhaps Brooks could have done a better job regaining his feet under his body to continue generating power(?). What do you mean by the bolded, "You can't get that kind of push if you're too high in your stance." Are you referring to height of shoulder pads relative to the OL's shoulder pads? Not trying to turn this into a discussion about Brooks, more about general pass rush technique.

Nice take on Bow's responsibilities on this play.

The more acute the angle the lower the center of gravity. When a player is low in his stance it allows him to really use his legs to generate power. The legs are what generate a good power rush. Brooks lowers his center of gravity and really lets his legs get underneath him and he generates an incredible amount of power with his initial push. Ofcourse it's not always ideal to get that low because the arms essentially become an extension of the legs during the initial push. Brooks generates alot of power but his upper body is also so far out in front of him he can't rip off the block. This is why you like a player with long arms. It's just much easier for them to keep the taller tackles off their body while they're generating power with their legs. I don't think Brooks was meant to be the pass rush on this snap though. I think he's just supposed to drive the RT back, compress the pocket, and prevent the QB from stepping into it. This is why he's so valuable. He does the grunt work. The rush was coming from Smith/Lemonier vs the LT/LG. Not to speak negatively about Lemons but I really don't know how he got this sack. He doesn't generate much power. He doesn't even have put his hands on the tackle before the tackle puts him hands on him. The tackles tries to control him and then just stops moving his feet.
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
Don't forget his age. I believe he is the youngest player on that list by at least 1 year.
quote=Buchy]
Originally posted by jimrat:

Nice list

I still don't understand why he was available in the 3rd round.
Very excited about this kid. Totally happy with Skuta as well but can't wait to see Lemonier's jump in year 2!
Originally posted by Scoots:
I still don't understand why he was available in the 3rd round.

he didn't have a name.

we used to do that too, draft because of name and not actual talent. I'm glad that's changed.
I expect him to be better. Has the Strength and athleticism and was a good pass rusher in college. Needs to learn to use his hands better, but he has lots of potential to be a really good player and take over for Brooks eventually.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Very excited about this kid. Totally happy with Skuta as well but can't wait to see Lemonier's jump in year 2!

We have deep deep olb's, even more so if that's where they intend to play Lynch, assuming they can mold him as last man on the totem pole.

Skuta played very well for us last year, and Lemon man has the makings of being a stud pass rusher. If we can get them all involved this year our pass rush may be deadly.
Share 49ersWebzone