LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Thank you! Before the draft we'd lost Goldson, RJF and Soap and extended Williams and signed Dorsey. So going in we knew we needed an impact FS and fresh meat for the DL. Had Crabtree been injured on April 21 instead of May 21 the priorities would have been different. Possibly CB would have been another area where we COULD have gotten an impact player that would contribute this year. But other than that there weren't a lot of holes to plug in an IMPACT player. We needed an IMMEDIATE IMPACT at FS and that's what we got.

I think this time NEXT YEAR this draft class is going to be looking damn good . . . and that's OK.

Exactly.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
man, i hope tank didn't screw up his knee with his pre-draft workouts and such so soon after surgery. you terrorize a healing ligament, and you get a piece of loose rope in there.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
This isn't a worry. Dobbs and TJE have been very productive, especially TJE, when they've had snaps and they are contributing and allowing RayMac and Justin to reduce their snap count.

Tank has had no training camp and only a few weeks of practice time to learn the defense whilst the two above have fully participated and have proven they can assist us. I think this is the right decision, the FO has decided to preserve him for next year and continue his rehab properly rather than risk having him active and practicing when he's unlikely to see the field.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by irief:
Looks like suspicions of his knee not being fully recovered were right. The kid's on IR. Post Validated.

not really. He was coming off a major injury, not expected to contribute in anything beyond 10 snaps a game and the player that took his roster spot is a Guard where we are currently dealing with a far more prevalent injury and lack of depth. This could also mean that Looney or Kilgore suffered some sort of minor injury during Sundays game or warmups.

Rather have depth at a position that has 2 non starting backups than a position that has as many bodies as DL/OLB.
Regardless of anything else this move is disturbing. You know if the coaching staff thought he could contribute and make a difference now this move would not have happened.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Nice problem to have.

Tomsula is a gem and I hope they're paying him very well for his results. Hate to lose this guy.

Maybe the only DL we take will be Eberley and sit him for a season like we did w/Tank?

Tank will be ready to rumble next season.

I think the 49ers whiffed on Carradine. Don't think he can play.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigwads:
Regardless of anything else this move is disturbing. You know if the coaching staff thought he could contribute and make a difference now this move would not have happened.

who would they have waived/IRed from the non-actives on Sunday besides Carradine?

WR Quinton Patton
CB Tarell Brown
DT Quinton Dial
G Mike Iupati
WR Jon Baldwin
TE Garrett Celek

Only player that a case can even be made for is Jon Baldwin -- every other player is too important.

Iupati -- is the reason why were in this mess and it could mean that he had a setback or another lineman was injured in the game on Sunday
Patton -- If they didn't IR him when he fractured it 3 months ago they wouldn't do it now.
Brown -- Starting corner and they would've shut him down right away if his "internal rib injury" was serious enough
Dial -- Rookie who is our best depth at NT and his injury that he is recovering from is a torn toe ligament, again a lot less serious than an ACL
Celek -- #3 TE in an offense that is obsessed with TEs? also means we want Celek on our roster for playoffs rather than Derek Carrier
Baldwin -- Bust or not, bad game planning or not, Kaepernick not targeting him or not he should have shown something to make plays on the field and he hasn't.

We now have 3 DL backups and 1 on the PS and if we somehow lost multiple DLs in a game we would simply put Aldon and Ahmad as DEs and play our subpackages. Tank was never going to see more than 10 snaps a game which is about the average that our backup DLs play -- why risk playing him if we don't need him?
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 11, 2013 at 6:45 AM ]

Not if it risked the long term health of his knee.
Originally posted by sfout:

who would they have waived/IRed from the non-actives on Sunday besides Carradine?

WR Quinton Patton
CB Tarell Brown
DT Quinton Dial
G Mike Iupati
WR Jon Baldwin
TE Garrett Celek

Only player that a case can even be made for is Jon Baldwin -- every other player is too important.

Iupati -- is the reason why were in this mess and it could mean that he had a setback or another lineman was injured in the game on Sunday
Patton -- If they didn't IR him when he fractured it 3 months ago they wouldn't do it now.
Brown -- Starting corner and they would've shut him down right away if his "internal rib injury" was serious enough
Dial -- Rookie who is our best depth at NT and his injury that he is recovering from is a torn toe ligament, again a lot less serious than an ACL
Celek -- #3 TE in an offense that is obsessed with TEs? also means we want Celek on our roster for playoffs rather than Derek Carrier
Baldwin -- Bust or not, bad game planning or not, Kaepernick not targeting him or not he should have shown something to make plays on the field and he hasn't.

We now have 3 DL backups and 1 on the PS and if we somehow lost multiple DLs in a game we would simply put Aldon and Ahmad as DEs and play our subpackages. Tank was never going to see more than 10 snaps a game which is about the average that our backup DLs play -- why risk playing him if we don't need him?

Good points! It has always been difficult to guess who you will need most late in the season, so you need to try and balance your non-starters. Having Dobbs, Dial and Jerod-Eddy as back ups you have some security in that spot. WR is a much more iffy position with three of your top five WRs having recently returned from injury. I could see an argument about dropping Ventrone or Osgood but those guys are so valuable on STs that it would still be a huge risk...as they learned last year.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 11, 2013 at 7:12 AM ]
Hated this pick. God I hated this pick. Very frusterated about this pick. So he was good enough to run for his pro workouts in April 13' but NOT healthy enough to play in November and December 13'??? whiff.com

• cciowa
  • Veteran
i am the king of over reaction here but i look at this move as the guy still has a knee issue and they have no reason to put him on the field , unlike last year we have a nice rotation and depth on the d line. let him rehab and he can compete next year. and you never have enough depth on the offensive line,. non story to me
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Hated this pick. God I hated this pick. Very frusterated about this pick. So he was good enough to run for his pro workouts in April 13' but NOT healthy enough to play in November and December 13'??? whiff.com

Overreact much?
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am the king of over reaction here but i look at this move as the guy still has a knee issue and they have no reason to put him on the field , unlike last year we have a nice rotation and depth on the d line. let him rehab and he can compete next year. and you never have enough depth on the offensive line,. non story to me

This.

TJE and Dobbs are playing well when they go in, Dial is back up to Dorsey. No need to risk a projected top 15 pick in Tank when he's had no training camp and missed half the season of practice. Especially not when we're fighting for the wild card spot and the play offs. If there was a genuine knee issue he'd be going for more surgery or potentially released. This is a good long term move for us and could prolong Tank's career by 2 or 3 seasons more than if we rushed him back and he picked up a Seattle style cut block.

Same story with Lattimore, it's good long term planning.
[ Edited by Buchy on Dec 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

Over reaction, wait for Tank to at least play a snap before you label him a whiff. I was happy with this pick. We are building for the future. As much as I like Cowboy, he cannot play forever. Lighten up dude!
you guys are caring too hard about a player who won't see the field this season

deal with it
Share 49ersWebzone