LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by GEEK:
A 4 man rush consisting of a combination of McDonald (DT), Smith (DT), Brooks (DE), A. Smith (DE), Carradine (DE/DT), and Lemonier (DE). That's 3 DTs and 4 DEs rotating along the defensive line...increasing the effectiveness throughout the game.

Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing Dial in there playing the role of Justin Smith - taking on a double team to set up a stunt for Aldon/Brooks/Lemonier.

I just had that epiphany as well

Just the fact that we'd get Tank and Aldon back would be insane.

And the most important part, assuming that all goes to plan: FRESH LEGS!

A fresh Aldon up against beaten up tackles doesn't seem fair not to mention Tank.... too bad for the other teams I guess.
Originally posted by GEEK:
A 4 man rush consisting of a combination of McDonald (DT), Smith (DT), Brooks (DE), A. Smith (DE), Carradine (DE/DT), and Lemonier (DE). That's 3 DTs and 4 DEs rotating along the defensive line...increasing the effectiveness throughout the game.

Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing Dial in there playing the role of Justin Smith - taking on a double team to set up a stunt for Aldon/Brooks/Lemonier.

Dial is the only really big guy on this list and he isn't huge by NFL DT standards! It's all about strength and leverage though, which Justin Smith has over almost any DLman in the league. This is a bit of a problem unless they start rotating guys a bit more, as you suggest. Going up against 330 pound offensive linemen every week for a season is wearing. And if they can't rest an injury like a torn bicep then it's an even more difficult situation.

One reason the 9er defense faltered last year in the super bowl were the injuries to Justin and Aldon Smith. They played well, just not to the level of excellence they are capable of reaching.

Another thing I'll be watching is how creative the line becomes moving these guys around to create confusion for the offensive lines they face. They've moved Aldon from side to side at times and he really had success. I'd love to see Justin moved inside and out with his strength and ability to push anyone out of his position. A few snaps at NT would even be fun as well.

Carradine was rated as a first round talent by many last April.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:59 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Dial is the only really big guy on this list and he isn't huge by NFL DT standards! It's all about strength and leverage though, which Justin Smith has over almost any DLman in the league. This is a bit of a problem unless they start rotating guys a bit more, as you suggest. Going up against 330 pound offensive linemen every week for a season is wearing. And if they can't rest an injury like a torn bicep then it's an even more difficult situation.

One reason the 9er defense faltered last year in the super bowl were the injuries to Justin and Aldon Smith. They played well, just not to the level of excellence they are capable of reaching.

Another thing I'll be watching is how creative the line becomes moving these guys around to create confusion for the offensive lines they face. They've moved Aldon from side to side at times and he really had success. I'd love to see Justin moved inside and out with his strength and ability to push anyone out of his position. A few snaps at NT would even be fun as well.

Carradine was rated as a first round talent by many last April.

Uh what??????

Have you never looked at Dial?

He is 6-5 and is up to 350 pounds, if that isn't huge than I don't know what is.
This podcast has a lot of good things to say about the 49ers defense - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI0QPHWqaA4&feature=share&list=UUlDJ6qEptwt40HcdQ3VYl7Q
If we can use a DLine rotation and keep Justin fresh would be excellent.

And at the same time move our chess pieces around to confuse teams would be an added plus.

Like seeing Justin in a DE role. Who would be best to fit in his position if he does?
Originally posted by sfout:
Uh what??????

Have you never looked at Dial?

He is 6-5 and is up to 350 pounds, if that isn't huge than I don't know what is.

Someone explained that Harbaugh stated he was 350ish so I stood corrected...you're late to the party. His official size is sub 320. Even now, compared to Wilt Chamberlain he's a midget.
Wank for Tank, baby! Wank for tank!
Originally posted by theduke85:

um..
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by theduke85:

um..

Currently wanking, next time for Tank!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Someone explained that Harbaugh stated he was 350ish so I stood corrected...you're late to the party. His official size is sub 320. Even now, compared to Wilt Chamberlain he's a midget.

Originally posted by xcfan:
the tank of last season was a tweener as a nfl prospect. he needs to be either 265 or 295 for the nfl. for us, 295. gaining 20 lbs over last season is doable. livin' in the weight room and pushing heavy iron will make it happen. just gotta do it.

Which is nonsense. McDonald is around 283...284. Justin Smith is around 285. Supposedly Carradine is around 280ish right now which is right on target. Unlike some other 3-4 teams, the 49ers don't have supersized DE's.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
the tank of last season was a tweener as a nfl prospect. he needs to be either 265 or 295 for the nfl. for us, 295. gaining 20 lbs over last season is doable. livin' in the weight room and pushing heavy iron will make it happen. just gotta do it.

Which is nonsense. McDonald is around 283...284. Justin Smith is around 285. Supposedly Carradine is around 280ish right now which is right on target. Unlike some other 3-4 teams, the 49ers don't have supersized DE's.

This means he is near JJ Watt size and he may have that type versatility as well. This guy is going to beast once he gets acclimated

Originally posted by BrianGO:

LOL! Big is a relative term!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This means he is near JJ Watt size and he may have that type versatility as well. This guy is going to beast once he gets acclimated

Really looking forward to him getting a few crumbs over the next few weeks!
Share 49ersWebzone