LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 195 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
this

wasted on dudes with gimpy knees.

thanx a lot baalke
this is to funny so many of yall was all over tanks nuts before tha draft now alot of yall are haten tha pick cuz he aint playing LMFAO !!!!!!!
Originally posted by xcfan:
hunter's a shooting guard playing football; completely non-physical. he is long, though, so he will get some jump balls. but, he's gonna block like a girl.

Kendall Marshall-PG for the Phoenix Suns-6'4", 195

Justin Hunter-NFL WR-6'4", 200

Crazy.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
this is to funny so many of yall was all over tanks nuts before tha draft now alot of yall are haten tha pick cuz he aint playing LMFAO !!!!!!!

Yeah pretty much. We presumed he would be ready to go before week 10, otherwise why would we use a high second rounder on em? I think we underestimated his recovery.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Yeah pretty much. We presumed he would be ready to go before week 10, otherwise why would we use a high second rounder on em? I think we underestimated his recovery.

I think many people are too near-sighted. This guy is a 1st round talent. He has the potential to be a steal for many years not just now.
Originally posted by diablo:

I think many people are too near-sighted. This guy is a 1st round talent. He has the potential to be a steal for many years not just now.

That is the problem. We are primed for a superbowl run now. Plus, its a big risk that might not even pan out anyway.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM ]

That is the problem. We are primed for a superbowl run now. Plus, its a big risk that might not even pan out anyway.

There is precedent for it though A similar thing happened in 1986. Walsh took a few players who he knew were coming off injury and wouldn't be able to play right away, despite the team being Super Bowl ready. Kevin f*gan missed his entire rookie year, but it was worth it. He was a key contributor for many years. That draft is considered one of the best of all-time. You never know until you see what each draftee can do.
We didn't underestimate his recovery time. We purposely slowed Tank down so as to optimize his recovery quality as opposed to decreasing his recovery time. Hr was 1st round talent hurt only by injury and we were in a position of strength with Justin extended for cheap.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

There is precedent for it though A similar thing happened in 1986. Walsh took a few players who he knew were coming off injury and wouldn't be able to play right away, despite the team being Super Bowl ready. Kevin f*gan missed his entire rookie year, but it was worth it. He was a key contributor for many years. That draft is considered one of the best of all-time. You never know until you see what each draftee can do.

I get that. But i'm sure f*gan is just the exception and not the rule. Odds are in every draft, even without the injury, the pick won't pan out.

With the injury, i would imagine the odds of him becoming great are even less.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I get that. But i'm sure f*gan is just the exception and not the rule. Odds are in every draft, even without the injury, the pick won't pan out.

Why? Players are rehabilitating from ACL tears better than ever now.

Yeah, its a risk/reward type of deal. When you're a good team with some depth you have the luxury of taking a few risks like Carradine. He was a sure fire 1st rounder without that injury. We kind of picked McDonald under similar circumstances. He was a late-1st, early-2nd prospect but dropped to late 3rd because of injury.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you're saying. It hurts the team in the short term to have high draft choices not contributing. Hopefully it pays off long term.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I guarantee Tank and Dial will NOT start practicing in two weeks. We'll have a clear timeline well in advance on when they'll be close. And right now they are not close. Manningham will start to practice within the month but dont expect him back at week 7 either.

I have the feeling that Tank will be available around the time of Crabtrees comeback, because he has no clue of running with the defense on the field. Vic is not going to elevate Tank over Jerod-Eddie with only a couple weeks of practice. Dont look for Dial until next season. I think its utter disappointment to not have available drafted players to spell Justin Smith and Dorsey. TJE is not going to get the job done in the playoffs.

i agree that carradine and dial wont just be stepping in after a week or two of practice. people need to temper expectations a little bit, they're rookies coming off of major injuries who havent taken part in a practice yet as a professional football player. they're not just jumping in mid stream and leap frogging fools on the depth chart.

I don't expect them to start after a week of practice.

The fact of the matter is for them to begin seeing snaps they have to practice and for them to practice they have to be activated.

So the sooner they're activated the sooner they get into the game.

In my mind that means if they intend on using Dial,Carradine, Wright, and Manningham this season they need to be activate them as soon possible so they can begin physically and mentally preparing.

This means week 7.

i agree with basically all of what you said. my comment was more going towards the crowd who does believe they'll be contributing rather quickly. the "dont worry dial and tank are coming back " crowd. yes they'll get activated at some point but we really have no idea what they are. that was kind of my point.

I get the feeling they'll be activated weeks 8 or 9. That's close to the bye week, so there will be extra time to practice. By Week 10, if they're not active on gameday, that'd be extremely disappointing. We need at least one contributing by then.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Yeah, its a risk/reward type of deal. When you're a good team with some depth you have the luxury of taking a few risks like Carradine. He was a sure fire 1st rounder without that injury. We kind of picked McDonald under similar circumstances. He was a late-1st, early-2nd prospect but dropped to late 3rd because of injury.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you're saying. It hurts the team in the short term to have high draft choices not contributing. Hopefully it pays off long term.

Yeah but i'm not so sure our depth on the Dline was that great. With RJF and Soap departing, and now Ian out, we could of used some big bodies right about now. The only thing we did to bolster the Dline for this year after RJF and Soap left was to sign Dorsey. That wasn't enough, clearly. We are forced into playing Jerod-Eddie now.
Just going by vague memory, didn't the last team we played have under 40 yards rushing in the first half? Wasn't it something like 14yards? And we won 34 to 11? Just trying to remember what a horrible Dline we have. I could be wrong of course. Maybe I'm thinking of another team. I take in a lot of information on a daily basis.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Just going by vague memory, didn't the last team we played have under 40 yards rushing in the first half? Wasn't it something like 14yards? And we won 34 to 11? Just trying to remember what a horrible Dline we have. I could be wrong of course. Maybe I'm thinking of another team. I take in a lot of information on a daily basis.

They had like 18 yards rushing for the game I think.
Share 49ersWebzone