There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Mark Sanchez really that bad?

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Bet he goes to the Rams as a backup QB.

His old OC is there, so that'll probably happen.

The butt fumble has been replayed to death since the announcement, but man it never gets old
Strange as it may sound, I like Gabbert's chances for resurrecting his career better than Sanchez. I saw Blaine's interview the other day and he sounded so thrilled and grateful to be a Niner...I'll actually be surprised if he doesn't develop into a very solid b/u to Kap. As for Sanchez, maybe he gets a shot on another team...could be good for him. He was in a no-win situation w/Jets...
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Fun stats for the day:

Sanchez's 36.1 total QBR since 2009 is the worst in the league among those who qualify.

Gabbert had a QBR of 1.8 in 2013......1.8......LOL

Granted, Gabbert only played 3 games but that is shockingly awful. I guess the thinking here is that Gabbert isn't completely ruined. Only 3 years in the league, he might be worth saving.

Sanchez is just too far gone, there is no hope for him. Like David Carr, he's been traumatized.


How is Sanchez's situation any worse than Alex's pre-2011?

I'm guessing the big difference is the NY media market exposing the hell out of him in a bad way much worse than could be done in SF.

Pre 2011 Sanchez had some success, more than Smith. Now that it's flipped it's easy to forget that.

Not comparing the two in skillset, but the situations are comparable.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Fun stats for the day:

Sanchez's 36.1 total QBR since 2009 is the worst in the league among those who qualify.

Gabbert had a QBR of 1.8 in 2013......1.8......LOL

Granted, Gabbert only played 3 games but that is shockingly awful. I guess the thinking here is that Gabbert isn't completely ruined. Only 3 years in the league, he might be worth saving.

Sanchez is just too far gone, there is no hope for him. Like David Carr, he's been traumatized.


How is Sanchez's situation any worse than Alex's pre-2011?

I'm guessing the big difference is the NY media market exposing the hell out of him in a bad way much worse than could be done in SF.

Pre 2011 Sanchez had some success, more than Smith. Now that it's flipped it's easy to forget that.

Not comparing the two in skillset, but the situations are comparable.

Most partially blame Smith's problems for the instability that was around him in terms of the HC and especially the OC. Moreover Smith's trajectory has gone up from year to year, while Sanchez peaked in his first two years and has seemingly gotten worse each year he's been in the league.
Sanchez Sucks. Period. Coming out of college he should have been a 4th or 5th round pick at best. He had a chance to develop into a solid back up. They tried to make him a franchise QB and he didn't have it in him. The team carried him the 1st few years and when they weren't good enough to carry him anymore he became the butt fumble.

The worst part is he never took responsibility for his poor play. What's he going to do now? Sign for the min and try to be a back up somewhere? He cashed in big time with the Jets. Time to retire. Wish I could make tens of millions for sucking at my job.
he'd be a great backup but his contract will keep him in NY. Nobody is willing to take on that contract.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,379
The guy is a horrible starting Qb, but should fit in well as a backup. He stole money from the Jets.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,368
USC quarterbacks usually don't fair well in the NFL, Carson Palmer is the best in the last 30 years. I think it is because they always have a great o-line, tailback, and receivers. It doesn't take a lot of skill to put up big numbers in that situation. When Sanchez was at USC he always had all day to throw to guys who were open by two yards or more.
[ Edited by BobS on Mar 22, 2014 at 6:01 AM ]
  • RKab
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,398
Sanchez was overdrafted and had inflated expectations in NY.

The right QB coach. The right situation. He could develop into a starting QB again. But he was never going to be the star he was expected to be in NY.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
he'd be a great backup but his contract will keep him in NY. Nobody is willing to take on that contract.

Wut? He was cut......
No receivers, offensively stupid coach, bad franchise. I don't think he's terrible, but he's not good either.
Definitely WAYYYYYY over rated. Could possible be a good back-up BUT definitely not for a long haul.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,469
He's a wanna be model
Who would you take Mark Sanchez or Alex Smith??
Originally posted by RKab:
Sanchez was overdrafted and had inflated expectations in NY.

The right QB coach. The right situation. He could develop into a starting QB again. But he was never going to be the star he was expected to be in NY.

Correct. He walked onto a team with a monster running game and stellar defense. He basically just had to not eff it up and that formula nearly took the Jets to the Super Bowl. If he manages to land on a team built the same way, he'd be ok.

But God help us all if he's needed to make a play.