LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Something fans need to understand...coming out of college Vance was almost strictly a receiver. He had to learn to block when he came to the Niners...and he made good progress throughout the season. Let's not forget Vernon only had 20 catches his first season...same deal, he had to learn how to block at the pro level. I'd expect Vance to a much bigger part of the offense next year...he can block...now it's time to receive.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Something fans need to understand...coming out of college Vance was almost strictly a receiver. He had to learn to block when he came to the Niners...and he made good progress throughout the season. Let's not forget Vernon only had 20 catches his first season...same deal, he had to learn how to block at the pro level. I'd expect Vance to a much bigger part of the offense next year...he can block...now it's time to receive.

i think ppl's problem stem from the fact that he mostly was a receiver in college and came here and his blocking was better than his ability to catch the ball. thats what has pissed ppl off.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

This. It seemed like the coaching staff's entire emphasis was to develop him as a blocker. Compare that to Seattle who drafted Luke Willson and said "lulz, blocking, we don't need any blocking" and basically played him as a wide receiver. McDonald definitely improved a lot over his rookie season, it'll be interesting to see how he progresses in the future.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i think ppl's problem stem from the fact that he mostly was a receiver in college and came here and his blocking was better than his ability to catch the ball. thats what has pissed ppl off.

How do you reach this conclusion? He had 19 targets total for the whole season. He wasn't utilized in the passing game much at all. In the NFC Championship Game, they threw one pass to him early for 13 yards and that was it, no more targets the rest of the way.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

How do you reach this conclusion? He had 19 targets total for the whole season. He wasn't utilized in the passing game much at all. In the NFC Championship Game, they threw one pass to him early for 13 yards and that was it, no more targets the rest of the way.

should they have thrown it to him more and worked him in a bit more to the O? yes i totally think so. i'm not debating that. i can only go on what i saw, which was some very impressive blocks at times considering he wasnt much of a blocker coming in, and quite a few drops on limited targets. aj jenkins was roasted for 1 drop on 1 target last season.

Not exactly "playing to his strengths." IMHO
  • thl408
Just gonna leave this here.

""Other than an outlier or two, tight ends simply haven't produced in their rookie seasons.""

McDonald was a college slot receiver that transitioned to a TE in the NFL, anyone who thought he was going to come in and tear s**t up from the get-go was out of their minds. Your average TE already has a steep hill to climb, a guy who basically has to learn the position has it even tougher. I think his improvement as a blocker was huge and that he'll be a good weapon for this offense in the future.

I think I understand that chart, even though it's for fantasy football. Basically it's offensive production. Coming into the year, it wasn't that I thought he'd tear s**t up (was not expecting 35-40 catches), it's more the role I thought he would have. VD as the deep threat and Vance working the middle of the field short to intermediate. Getting 6-8 yard catches. I actually lay more of Vance's lack of production on Kap and Kap's narrow field of vision. But I'm not trying to swerve this thread towards Kap.

That chart makes a lot of sense. TEs are asked to run routes and block, so that's two things they have to adjust to coming into the NFL. Blocking against the biggest competition they've ever faced, and running routes against the fastest safties they've ever faced.

There were a handful of times Vance was open, but Kap never got to Vance. The few times Vance was targeted in key situations, he dropped the ball and I'm not just referring to the drop versus CAR where Keuchly defended that pass. No way I'm giving up on this guy. He was actually the rookie I was most excited for (over Reid) coming into the year. I thought that with Harbaalke trading up a few slots to nab Vance, that they had some big things in store for him. I hope Vance doesn't get discouraged in any way by being used primarily as a blocker. The staff just wants him to be well rounded imo.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:18 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Which is fine if the reasoning was that they wanted him to develop as a blocker. They know he can run routes already and get open downfield, the issue was him being able to fit as a TE and hold his own as a blocker. Now that he has developed as a blocker, I think you'll see him incorporated more into the passing offense as well.

Which is fine if the reasoning was that they wanted him to develop as a blocker. They know he can run routes already and get open downfield, the issue was him being able to fit as a TE and hold his own as a blocker. Now that he has developed as a blocker, I think you'll see him incorporated more into the passing offense as well.

Like thl408 notes, he could be HUGE in the soft zones (he seems to have that feel in his game) and in the middle of the field (but rarely ever used). Also, he was big on clearly designed plays for him as well. But my favorite is probably when he flares out as an outlet (usually delayed routes) for CK...he is wide open and after he catches the ball and turns the corner, he is a monster to tackle. Ask Sherman.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Like thl408 notes, he could be HUGE in the soft zones (he seems to have that feel in his game) and in the middle of the field (but rarely ever used). Also, he was big on clearly designed plays for him as well. But my favorite is probably when he flares out as an outlet (usually delayed routes) for CK...he is wide open and after he catches the ball and turns the corner, he is a monster to tackle. Ask Sherman.

I agree. Dude is a bowling ball when he gets the ball. I'd like to see him get more of the routes as an outlet that Miller was getting. Just get the ball in his hand and let him run.

• thl408

I swear in the preseason I saw him run routes where he ran right into the LB, pushed off, then turn and catch a pass. Easy 7 yards using his big frame to shield the defender from the pass. That's what had me so excited for this guy coming into the season. Such an easy bullet throw for Kap right over the middle where defenders don't have much time to react. Didn't really see that much.

Here's Vance's longest catch of the season (25 yards). Week 1 on the second offensive drive for the 49ers. Doesn't get much earlier in the season than this.

Just finding a quiet area in the middle of the field. Love how he catches the pass and turns upfield right away, no wasted movement. So this play got me even more excited for the guy. Then, not much the rest of the way.
I think a lot of people have issues with McDonald because a) he was drafted well ahead of his projection, b) there were a number of other receiving threats available at that point, c) he had a reputation of being a ball-dropper in college, and d) he came in to replace Walker, whose biggest (only) issue was drops. A pass-catching TE who has struggled in college to catch the ball is the kind of guy you look for in rounds 5-7, not round 2. I had a 5th round grade for Vance, and couldn't believe where they took him. Especially since Ertz was available at the pick they traded away (#34), it was a frustrating day.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
I think a lot of people have issues with McDonald because a) he was drafted well ahead of his projection

He was projected as a 2'nd/3'rd round guy in basically everything I've read, which is exactly where he went; late 2'nd.
[ Edited by Disp on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:36 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

I swear in the preseason I saw him run routes where he ran right into the LB, pushed off, then turn and catch a pass. Easy 7 yards using his big frame to shield the defender from the pass. That's what had me so excited for this guy coming into the season. Such an easy bullet throw for Kap right over the middle where defenders don't have much time to react. Didn't really see that much.

Here's Vance's longest catch of the season (25 yards). Week 1 on the second offensive drive for the 49ers. Doesn't get much earlier in the season than this.

Just finding a quiet area in the middle of the field. Love how he catches the pass and turns upfield right away, no wasted movement. So this play got me even more excited for the guy. Then, not much the rest of the way.

My man, THIS is exactly why I was so excited to get him as well. This is exactly how I envisioned we'd use him too along with some Delanie Walker roles as well. I wasn't just excited b/c he was bigger than DW and could potentially help the run game with blocking but b/c he potentially could give us a lot of production on 1st downs and be a tremendous outlet for CK in the passing game AND in the RZ/EZ for plays just like these.
Originally posted by Disp:
He was projected as a 2'nd/3'rd round guy in basically everything I've read, which is exactly where he went; late 2'nd.

This. He was a projected 2nd rounder pretty much all the way. Not sure where people are getting this rhetoric from, maybe if you were looking back in December of 2012 or something like that.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1695512/vance-mcdonald

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=103205&draftyear=2013&genpos=TE
Share 49ersWebzone