LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Big strong inline blocker who can catch 2-4 passes/game. VD is now the move guy/h back.

Love it

no. he can't inline block -- or at least doesn't
lol @ people still doubting Harbaugh and Baalke's picks.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Let's Compare

Vance McDonald-6'4", 267 pounds, 10 1/8" hands, 34 3/8" arm length

Zach Ertz-6'5", 249 pounds, 9 5/8" hands, 31 5.8" arm length

Vance McDonald-4.69 40, 31 reps on bench press, 33.5 inch vertical, 119 inch broad jump, 7.08 seconds in 3 cone drill

Zach Ertz-4.76 40, 24 reps on bench press, 30.5 inch vertical leap, 111 inch broad jump, 7.08 seconds in 3 cone drill

Sold

he's stronger and faster than Ertz with much, much longer arms
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Big strong inline blocker who can catch 2-4 passes/game. VD is now the move guy/h back.

Love it

Nothing says he can't learn or won't in the future
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Love it

Nothing says he can't learn or won't in the future

Hey if we can turn a defensive end into a Fullback, I think will be alright teaching this kid how to inline block!
I never realized how good McDonald's measurables are. faster, stronger, more explosive (jumping), much longer arms, bigger hands, good route runner -- he can play in the slot!

Crazy man, crazy.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
jordan reed was a better fit or the te from stanford

Apparently the Niners FO doesn't agree with you.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Hey if we can turn a defensive end into a Fullback, I think will be alright teaching this kid how to inline block!

Right. I'm just saying its listed as one of his flaws in the scouting reports...
Think this guy will be very versatile. From what I have seen he has a case of the dropsies from time to time, but we are used to that from Delanie.

Highest upside TE in the draft in my opinion. Perfect pick to replace Delanie really. Another Baalke-style selection.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Think this guy will be very versatile. From what I have seen he has a case of the dropsies from time to time, but we are used to that from Delanie.

i hear he has good hands, is a very nice red zone target and there is nothing wrong with his blocking that can not be fixed. No on has worse hands than over rated walker. a very wise much needed pick by the niners. who cares he does not have the glittering resume of others. Our players are chosen for a reason and I am more than fine with what has been happening
Getting back to V McDonald... The guy is a terrific athlete and one of the fastest TEs in the draft. He also can change direction quickly. Plus, I heard him interviewed right after he was picked and he weighs 272 lbs. and runs a 4.6 40 yd. dash. He was running out of the slot at Rice because he was such a great athlete. Plus, he can jump. He is going to make an excellent red zone target. Yes, he will drop a ball on occasion. I seem to remember that a guy named Jerry Rice did the same thing his first year in the league. McDonald will compliment V Davis very very well. Again, the Niners did their HW on this guy.

McDonald was rising up draft boards before he was picked because coaches were impressed with him at the Senior Bowl. You zoners are gonna love this guy. Just give him a full training camp and he will contribute his first year. Great pick...

Cheers!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Highest upside TE in the draft in my opinion. Perfect pick to replace Delanie really. Another Baalke-style selection.

Exactly, this pick is really starting to grow on me

4.68 and 31 reps, incredibly tall, long arms,

Raw, but Vernon will take him under his wing
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Stinker.

Nothing against Vance, but we need more beef on the DLine. Had various options on the board at the time....ignored them all for maybe a #2-#4 tight end?

Whuuuut?

A Baalke bobble. Even if he does work out, we have some serious fixin to do on D.
We have Ray Mac, Justin Smith, Ian Smith, and Glenn Dorsey. I'm not sure if Tank is going to be used like Aldon Smith in 2011 or as a 3-4 DE, but if his position is 3-4 DE, that's 5 guys. Not too mention Dobbs and Tufuaku (if they are the 6th and 7th guys in the rotation, i can live with that). I'm not saying we don't need more players on the D-Line, but you can't knock picking a guy who will be a #2 TE in this offense. That's probably 40 catches a year and a couple of TDs.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone