LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by niners_guy:
I wasn't a fan of McDonald in the Packers game, saw him get blown up while blocking on multiple occasions. Especially while motioning into the backfield and leading to the outside. He's got great measureables, hope he continues to grow into them in the offseason.

He has always been a receiver since his college days so the blocking will come with time. Took Gore and Davis some time to develop following their rookie seasons.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by niners_guy:
I wasn't a fan of McDonald in the Packers game, saw him get blown up while blocking on multiple occasions. Especially while motioning into the backfield and leading to the outside. He's got great measureables, hope he continues to grow into them in the offseason.

He has always been a receiver since his college days so the blocking will come with time. Took Gore and Davis some time to develop following their rookie seasons.

Questionable hands as a receiver too, guy needs to develop more/faster.
Redemption game for McDonald coming up.

Wonder if the team gives him some extra chances or put him in the dog house and just use him as a blocker
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Redemption game for McDonald coming up.

Wonder if the team gives him some extra chances or put him in the dog house and just use him as a blocker

hopefully not he sucks at that as well
It's obvious that he hasn't adjusted to the NFL yet but he's not the first rookie who has struggled. Bet he gets benched for Celek the rest of the way out.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Ertz or Fleener would've caught that.
  • thl408
Little article on Vance from the 49ers main site.

"It's a completely different game," McDonald said.

From blocking small school cornerbacks to blocking NFL LBs. I thought he was going to be a weapon in the receiving game this season. Just didn't get many targets.
Originally posted by thl408:

From blocking small school cornerbacks to blocking NFL LBs. I thought he was going to be a weapon in the receiving game this season. Just didn't get many targets.

Decent read. Hopefully he gets targeted a few times a game next year. I still think he can be a huge weapon.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Decent read. Hopefully he gets targeted a few times a game next year. I still think he can be a huge weapon.

Same. He rarely got targeted, and had a couple bad drops, but flashed some nice playmaking ability. He can really move for a guy his size. I'm hoping we spread the field more next year with 2 TE sets. We'd have a lot of scheme versatility with both VD and Vance able to line up anywhere.
Don't see the downfield speed in McDonald and when they do throw him the ball, he Roberto Duran hands, "Hands of Stone."

More importantly, Vance is too big of a guy. How many 270 lb tight ends run fast? Not many. Most are blocking tight ends.

Personally think the 49ers such bring in TE Fred Davis and give him a look. Market will be soft for him due to his injuries and 6 game suspension.

• Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Don't see the downfield speed in McDonald and when they do throw him the ball, he Roberto Duran hands, "Hands of Stone."

More importantly, Vance is too big of a guy. How many 270 lb tight ends run fast? Not many. Most are blocking tight ends.

Personally think the 49ers such bring in TE Fred Davis and give him a look. Market will be soft for him due to his injuries and 6 game suspension.

He does. He moves well at that size. His 40 time was pretty impressive if I remember correctly. I expect him to be a John Frank type tight end.
Originally posted by Nuns:
He does. He moves well at that size. His 40 time was pretty impressive if I remember correctly. I expect him to be a John Frank type tight end.

He ran a 4.7 forty yard dash. Big frickin deal. He doesn't play to his speed. He didn't run a fast 40, but a fast forty for a guy his size. Which means overall he's not a fast tight end. More importantly he didn't get separation when he ran his routes, which is fine if he would just use his size and outmuscle guys for the ball when it's in the air ala Anquan Boldin, but he just doesn't have that killer in him to fight for balls. Just what I see.

Celek has some nice hands and it runs in his family as his brother Brent is a nice TE for the Eagles. Not giving up on McDonald, but Celek is a young guy as well and may the best man play.

"McDonald, like the departed Walker, doesn't have the greatest ball skills. He's capable of catching any pass but can have trouble adjusting to the defense mid-route and to the ball in flight. With Colin Kaepernick's howitzer of a right arm, McDonald won't have much time to think when catching passes from No. 7." (Niners Nation 4/6/2013).
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
harbaugh and baalke can spin it however they like--but they drafted the wrong guy.
this dude blows. he better be on that juggs machine all offseason like Vernon did when he had stone hands
Originally posted by thl408:

100% agree...and I wanted Ertz or Fleener as well. But your point is spot on...how many targets did he get the past three games against Seattle? He got 2 targets. 1 he RAC's and trucks Sherman for 19. The other was in the NFCCG and goes for 13.

And then we never go back to him again...
Share 49ersWebzone