LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
He's very raw. Hopefully he improves next year with more experience.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Its called being a pro! Teams don't have time for players to figure it out during the season. Pros make the most of their opportunities. The skill at this level is ridiculous and you have to get it together if you want the rock.

This of course is ridiculous. Rookies will make mistakes, period. Nobody was a stronger advocate of allowing rookies to go through their growing pains than Bill Walsh was. I don't care who it is, if you give a guy 1-2 targets a game, he's not going to do very well, its hard to gain confidence and every mistake you make is magnified 1000 times. McDonald has shown the ability to get open consistently, he's done well as a blocker, its a matter of him being included in the gameplan and having consistent passes thrown his way. Ertz of the Eagles looked like crap early on this season but you know what, they kept throwing the ball his way, kept getting him targets and he has improved as a result.

Hard to criticize McDonald for being a rookie that gets little actual opportunity to make plays.

In this game unproven guys get CUT everyday for not making plays. You have to earn the opportunity to get balls thrown you way and he has not earned it. He is the 2nd /3rd TE on this team and he has not made the most of his opportunities. if he had caught the ball against Carolina and then just ONE of the two last night we wouldn't be having this conversation. He will get more targets next year and if he screws those up he'll get cut or traded after the season. Book it.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Keep giving him shots.dude trucks guys when he gets tbe ball.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
All jumping the gun on this dude

He will be good
Originally posted by Garcia:
All jumping the gun on this dude

He will be good

heard the same thing about AJ.
The real problem I have with having expectations for Vance is the track record of the front office in respect to recognizing good receivers.Sure some players need time to develop but with the picks this group has been making I would like to see them have at least one success before I give them the benefit of the doubt.
after how long it took delanie, remember what he did in his first year, i think the jury is still out, the guy has been very good in the blocking game and is pretty fast for his size, hopefully develops to catch a few passes
Originally posted by xela510:
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Here is a concept the zone struggles with it's called develop players. Guy never expects the ball. Why? Kap never throws it to him. Guess what Vernon dropped as many. He was wide open when he dropped his. Yes it was a poor throw. But he gets paid to catch any throw good or bad.

We know what Vernon has to offer. He gets a pass. "Guy never expects the ball" is not an excuse. If he's running a route, he better be ready to catch. He doesnt get the ball because he continues to mess up every time its thrown his way. If he doesnt mess up maybe he will get the ball thrown his way.

Yes he has messed up both times they threw him the ball. He has to be developed. Vernon was terrible his first year. Guy had the same exact issues that Vance has now. Actually keep throwing the ball to him. Delanie was terrible last year. How many passes did he drop.
Originally posted by willtalk:
The real problem I have with having expectations for Vance is the track record of the front office in respect to recognizing good receivers.Sure some players need time to develop but with the picks this group has been making I would like to see them have at least one success before I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Track record? These statements make zero sense. They missed on Jenkins big deal. Jimmy Johnson cut Jimmy Smith. Chris Carter was released from the Eagles. Wes Welker, Cruz, and Keenan McCardell didn't get drafted. Ok McCardell was taken in the twelve round which today doesn't exist. The point is teams can miss on any player.
Originally posted by willtalk:
where does the doubt come from? aj jenkins and big mac?
big mac is in his rookie year, you can count yourself lucky if your rookie is ready to start in his first year at all.

aj jenkins happens, happens to almost every team in the league.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
this f**ker better be on that jugs machine and running routes all week and all off season.
Yes this will help. The guy is learning the important aspect of the game blocking. Receiving can be taught. Look at at Davis.
Yes he has messed up both times they threw him the ball. He has to be developed. Vernon was terrible his first year. Guy had the same exact issues that Vance has now. Actually keep throwing the ball to him. Delanie was terrible last year. How many passes did he drop.

lol VD scored a TD in his first game and suffered a broken leg in his rookie season causing him to miss valuable time. vance is NOTHING like VD in his first year. vernon did (and DOES) have drop problems, but you could see the talent was there. vance has shown none of this. his routes are sloppy and he doesn't have good hands
Originally posted by crabman82:
the new whipping boy, hey someone has to be it

"fans" are pathetic over here...and it's usually the same posters that bash our players.

its ok to criticize our players. But when you hear nonsense about "BUST!/GET RID OF HIM" etc about a ROOKIE...one who gets limited opportunities... who does well in other aspects of his game (run blocking) while learning in his first year..... it's ridiculous.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

lol VD scored a TD in his first game and suffered a broken leg in his rookie season causing him to miss valuable time. vance is NOTHING like VD in his first year. vernon did (and DOES) have drop problems, but you could see the talent was there. vance has shown none of this. his routes are sloppy and he doesn't have good hands

McDonald hasn't been getting the same number of opportunities as Davis, when he was a rookie. Do you think he would get drop every pass thrown his way?

you can see the physical talent is there. But he's still a rookie in the mental aspect of the game.....but we are doing him no favors throwing him 1 -2 passes a game. Some in Big time situations. (late in the game 3rd and 2 bullet slant pass against the Rams).... (close game against the Panthers, key deep pass)

should've caught both passes yes, but I would hope we can see he is struggling and get him simple passes to help build get him in the rythem...

simple ones like these that he can quickly turn around and use his athleticism.

or heck like I mentioned earlier, quick screen pass to him in a formation opposite of Vernon.... or screen to him, off a playaction to Gore.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone