LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 203 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by KegBert:
He has been good as a blocker. We just have to hope he greatly improves his route running and pass catching.

Route running had been very good. I esp. like (rare) when we use him in the middle of the field...he has a nice feel for dropping down in the soft zones and that's not easy to teach.

Haha, maybe I should have left out the "route" part because he does seem to have some issues just plain running.

LOL! :)
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Baalke sucks at drafting pass catchers.

What do you mean?

AJ Jenkins: 5 catched for 63, 12.6 average and a long of 26. Ha
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Falling down a lot? Hyperbole much? Dude falls down once and all the poindexter's make it sound like he's Gerald Ford.

+1 for everyone who is over 35. Hilarious.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Chill.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yeah that's amateur s**t, that's why. AJ Junkins used to do similar crap.

your right. very aj jenkinsesque
Players are supposed to make plays. He had the big play opportunity, and blew it... and probably lost Kaep's trust in the process. At this point, we cannot count on him as a reliable pass catcher. From what I've seen Celek is a better pass catcher, but just isn't as strong as McDonald.

On a positive note, Tukuafu looked good (at least no perceivable drop-off)
Put me down with Phoenix. Had Coach Walsh refused to have another pass thrown to jerry rice, we never would have seen the GOAT WR for all his yrs here. Not saying I would confuse vance with jerry, but I full well remember, for first half of season, with many opportunities, Jerry couldn't catch jack. Well, vance has gotten about oh 1/1000 of the chances that jerry got, so until you see a bigger body of work from him, I can't see how anyone can see he is bust or whatever. He has turned out to be a great blocker, initially and at 2nd level both, and in fact, that is the way Vernon came up. He had to block 80 times for every one pass thrown his way. So give the guy a break already, since there is just crumbs to look at. Hey, if he is no good, then get rid of him. But same goes for hunter, LMJ, and Baldwin....and in every case, they just haven't gotten enough playing time and been targeted to call them busts. Merry Christmas to scrooges.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Its called being a pro! Teams don't have time for players to figure it out during the season. Pros make the most of their opportunities. The skill at this level is ridiculous and you have to get it together if you want the rock.

This of course is ridiculous. Rookies will make mistakes, period. Nobody was a stronger advocate of allowing rookies to go through their growing pains than Bill Walsh was. I don't care who it is, if you give a guy 1-2 targets a game, he's not going to do very well, its hard to gain confidence and every mistake you make is magnified 1000 times. McDonald has shown the ability to get open consistently, he's done well as a blocker, its a matter of him being included in the gameplan and having consistent passes thrown his way. Ertz of the Eagles looked like crap early on this season but you know what, they kept throwing the ball his way, kept getting him targets and he has improved as a result.

Hard to criticize McDonald for being a rookie that gets little actual opportunity to make plays.

You realize if some of these guys were the OC or were Steve Young in 1998 they would NOT have gone to Terrell Owens? "He didn't take advantage of his opportunities."
Can't forget about hands of stone Vernon Davis early in his career and Jerry Rice's rookie year has already been mentioned.
He has been a bust so far but he needs more chances because defenses don't respect him either. If we do well in the playoffs he will play a larger role and does well.

Originally posted by bigwads:
He has been a bust so far but he needs more chances because defenses don't respect him either. If we do well in the playoffs he will play a larger role and does well.

He has NOT been a bust, at all. He is not yet good enough in one area of his game (receiving), but he's doing pretty well among the most important areas for our #2 TE to be doing.
you suck. get off my team.
Jenkins is a better comparison that HOF rice and possible future HOFs TO and VD.

Trill n***a
Originally posted by sspiker:

He has NOT been a bust, at all. He is not yet good enough in one area of his game (receiving), but he's doing pretty well among the most important areas for our #2 TE to be doing.

Dude was drafted in the second round. If all you wanted was a glorified OL there are many of those in the seventh round. I really liked him coming out but he really needs to step up.
Dude was drafted in the second round. If all you wanted was a glorified OL there are many of those in the seventh round. I really liked him coming out but he really needs to step up.

He'll be fine, he's turned his biggest weakness into a strength, he runs good routes, as he gets more opportunities he'll make some big plays for this team and become a more reliable and consistent player.
Share 49ersWebzone