LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 138 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
What's worse.....our non use of McDonald in the passing game or Coughlin benching David Wilson for a few fumbles?

And there you have it. You can't have someone not get more than 2 looks during games and few reps at catching passes in practice to suddenly be all-world clutch in a big game. I'm telling you guys the offensive coaching staff needs an overhaul. The offensive talent is there - it's not being developed. Where has Kendall Hunter been all season?

Its called being a pro! Teams don't have time for players to figure it out during the season. Pros make the most of their opportunities. The skill at this level is ridiculous and you have to get it together if you want the rock.

This. And we aren't asking him to be super clutch or an all pro. Just not trip over yourself in a big game when you're wide open. Not drop a crossing route. And god forbid, making a big catch against Carolina. Oh, thats right, someone touched him so he couldn't make that catch.
Originally posted by sspiker:
What's most ironic is how people are missing Delanie Walker, who had the same exact problems with drops (and has carried those problems over to Tennessee). McDonald is well on his way to be doing all the things we asked Walker to do: blocking, decoys, versatility, and more blocking. He's still young, and another off-season with a JUGS machine, when he's not spending over half his time learning the playbook and all the roles he's asked to assume, might help. It's way too early to give up on his career, though I do think he should not be a receiving factor in the playoffs.
I don't remember Delanie falling down a lot though. That is most disconcerting.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Its called being a pro! Teams don't have time for players to figure it out during the season. Pros make the most of their opportunities. The skill at this level is ridiculous and you have to get it together if you want the rock.

This of course is ridiculous. Rookies will make mistakes, period. Nobody was a stronger advocate of allowing rookies to go through their growing pains than Bill Walsh was. I don't care who it is, if you give a guy 1-2 targets a game, he's not going to do very well, its hard to gain confidence and every mistake you make is magnified 1000 times. McDonald has shown the ability to get open consistently, he's done well as a blocker, its a matter of him being included in the gameplan and having consistent passes thrown his way. Ertz of the Eagles looked like crap early on this season but you know what, they kept throwing the ball his way, kept getting him targets and he has improved as a result.

Hard to criticize McDonald for being a rookie that gets little actual opportunity to make plays.
This guy is pissing me off. That out route pass by Kap was beautiful and he fell flat on his face.
Originally posted by sdcindy:
I don't remember Delanie falling down a lot though. That is most disconcerting.

Falling down a lot? Hyperbole much? Dude falls down once and all the poindexter's make it sound like he's Gerald Ford.
Originally posted by KegBert:
He has been good as a blocker. We just have to hope he greatly improves his route running and pass catching.

His route running has been pretty good, not sure where your beef with him is on that. He's been getting open, most of the time he doesn't even get a look, he's dropped a few passes but by and large, he's shown promise, would love to see him get more included in the gameplan, especially against Arizona who has struggled and continues to struggle with defending TE's. They'll have their hands full and will do everything they can to limit VD and Boldin. McDonald should be the beneficiary of that. Let those other guys be decoys, give him some targets against lesser coverage. If he gets going, the Cardinals are going to be screwed.
Its amazing how impatient we have become since 2011.

His blocking is what worried me when we drafted him but thats not a problem. He is getting open against NFL defenses so its only a matter of time before he gets on the same page as his QB.
He's been dissappointing his rookie season! He needs to step up!
Originally posted by Squidp:

His blocking is what worried me when we drafted him but thats not a problem. He is getting open against NFL defenses so its only a matter of time before he gets on the same page as his QB.

This. People need to chill out, seriously. I like what I'm seeing from McDonald. his blocking ability combined with his ability to get open, it'll all come together eventually and he'll be a very good player and all those who were bashing him will be suddenly singing his praises, happens over and over again.
Vance still has my support. I think he will develop into a very good TE soon. Just not ready this year to contribute much. He's still a very young rookie

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by KegBert:
He has been good as a blocker. We just have to hope he greatly improves his route running and pass catching.

Route running had been very good. I esp. like (rare) when we use him in the middle of the field...he has a nice feel for dropping down in the soft zones and that's not easy to teach.

Haha, maybe I should have left out the "route" part because he does seem to have some issues just plain running.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Squidp:

This. People need to chill out, seriously. I like what I'm seeing from McDonald. his blocking ability combined with his ability to get open, it'll all come together eventually and he'll be a very good player and all those who were bashing him will be suddenly singing his praises, happens over and over again.

He will be fine. I do believe this off-season will be huge for him. He will be so much more comfortable & smoother within the offense next season.
Anyone else notice how Kaep just shakes his head after a Vance duh play?
Baalke sucks at drafting pass catchers.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Anyone else notice how Kaep just shakes his head after a Vance duh play?

Yeah that's amateur s**t, that's why. AJ Junkins used to do similar crap.
Share 49ersWebzone