LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 198 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
I agree with most of your post, but no way we used a second-round pick on a blocking tight end.

But he's not a blocking tight end, he's shown the ability to get open. As times goes on, that connection will develop and he'll start making plays downfield. People really need to stop being so hard on the guy. He's a rookie, coming from a lesser conference, this team in general already has a hard enough time incorporating younger players and McDonald has had a limited amount of targets this season. He had what...2 targets today? One got knocked down on a great defensive play and on the other he slipped but so what? s**t happens. The potential is there, the size, the ability to be a monster in the open field. He had an outstanding block to allow Boldin to waltz into the endzone.

Its amazing how people have this crazy expectation that guys will be up to speed fully in their rookie season. It took Walker a few seasons to develop and improve, I think McDonald is going to be a very good NFL TE, people just need to have patience.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Then again eagles throw the ball all over the field and ertz has many opportunities.

This is true. Vance has made mistakes, but gets very few opportunities to produce. Just from watching the coaches film on NFL Rewind, as well as the images posted on this forum, McDonald is frequently open but doesn't get the ball thrown his way. We only pass the ball 25 times / game anyways. Most of those targets should go to Crab, Boldin, VD.
Originally posted by susweel:
all this while Zach Ertz is ballin.

No wonder harbs hates baalke

Put Ertz on the 49ers and he basically has the same numbers as McDonald or worse. Ertz looked like s**t until Foles came in as the starter and they started flinging the ball all over the place. What the heck is McDonald supposed to do with 1-2 targets a game? They don't get the ball to him consistently, he makes a mistake and that is it, door gets slammed in his face. Young players make mistakes, other teams let their young players work through them, Bill Walsh believed in letting young players work through them, on this offense, if you're a young player, the deck is already stacked against you due to the preference for veterans, if you screw up once, sorry, that's all she wrote for you buddy. It doesn't make any sense.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
This is true. Vance has made mistakes, but gets very few opportunities to produce. Just from watching the coaches film on NFL Rewind, as well as the images posted on this forum, McDonald is frequently open but doesn't get the ball thrown his way. We only pass the ball 25 times / game anyways. Most of those targets should go to Crab, Boldin, VD.

yup
everything is magnified if you get your opportunities 2 times every 4 games
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
LOL. You guys are too hard on him. He blocks outstanding. He was a monster blocking tonight. Did you miss all those plays? Probably don't even notice. Just wait for pass plays like most fans. Ok so what he tripped. I've seen other players do that. So what. This is a learning year for him. I remember Crabtree as a rookie dropping the ball and Rice as a rookie was dropping passes all over the field. I think he will get it. Besides I think we picked him mostly to block. 6'4" 270 lbs. wasn't a receiving TE. We picked him to be a big, mean, nasty TE extra blocker in the run game. And he is. He's already good at that. I think his pass receiving will improve. He hasn't had huge amounts of opportunities this season. We throw him like one pass a game. If it's not a perfect result the WZ throws a hissy fit. I could see if you threw him 10 passes and he dropped 8. Then I would worry. But not with this.

It tells you just how ridiculous the debate has become when SD by far makes the most reasonable and rational post.
  • Jiks
I though Celek could do everything Vance has done thus far. Don't feel we needed another TE with our 2nd pick.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
yup
everything is magnified if you get your opportunities 2 times every 4 games

This. People are hilarious. Dude gets one target, doesn't catch the ball. "HE SUCKS." Seriously? I'd love to see them just feed the ball to him, give him seven or eight targets in a game, if he drops seven or eight passes or has a multitude of miscues, but to me this seems like people looking for any excuse to b***h about something without understanding what they are talking about.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It tells you just how ridiculous the debate has become when SD by far makes the most reasonable and rational post.

I remember Jason Witten as a rookie, dropped a whole bunch of passes, struggled all over the place, the next season he had about 900 yards receiving. Good thing the Cowboys didn't freak out and lose their s**t over a rookie struggling to adapt to the pro game and working his way through it.

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I though Celek could do everything Vance has done thus far. Don't feel we needed another TE with our 2nd pick.

You obviously haven't compared Celek and McDonald blocking or haven't been watching the games. Because it's not close.

I remember Jason Witten as a rookie, dropped a whole bunch of passes, struggled all over the place, the next season he had about 900 yards receiving. Good thing the Cowboys didn't freak out and lose their s**t over a rookie struggling to adapt to the pro game and working his way through it.

he should get the death penalty
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You obviously haven't compared Celek and McDonald blocking or haven't been watching the games. Because it's not close.

I like Celek, he's a decent quality backup TE but anyone who thinks that he and McDonald possess the same level of talent and potential?......................

This. People are hilarious. Dude gets one target, doesn't catch the ball. "HE SUCKS." Seriously? I'd love to see them just feed the ball to him, give him seven or eight targets in a game, if he drops seven or eight passes or has a multitude of miscues, but to me this seems like people looking for any excuse to b***h about something without understanding what they are talking about.

he's shown the ability to get open. he needs to know he can get the ball multiple times a game and it won't be pressure

he fell and he looked up and knew that he wasn't going to get the ball again.
that's too much.

i was saying in the miller thread that this could be good for the team. it will force roman to use everyone else. tonight he didn't use vernon but he did use crab and boldin

if one day we ever get to use EVERYONE i mean use crab and boldin call plays for vd and macdonald let hunter get in there. we're going to be unstoppable.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
he's shown the ability to get open. he needs to know he can get the ball multiple times a game and it won't be pressure

he fell and he looked up and knew that he wasn't going to get the ball again.
that's too much.

i was saying in the miller thread that this could be good for the team. it will force roman to use everyone else. tonight he didn't use vernon but he did use crab and boldin

if one day we ever get to use EVERYONE i mean use crab and boldin call plays for vd and macdonald let hunter get in there. we're going to be unstoppable.

Worst thing possible for a young player. You know you get one chance and if it doesn't happen for whatever reason, you're getting the hook. Like I said before, not the way to develop young players. They'll make mistakes, its inevitable, you let them play through it. As long as McDonald gets 1-2 targets a game, its hard for him to have any confidence or rhythm to his game.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM ]
Worst thing possible for a young player. You know you get one chance and if it doesn't happen for whatever reason, you're getting the hook. Like I said before, not the way to develop young players. They'll make mistakes, its inevitable, you let them play through it. As long as McDonald gets 1-2 targets a game, its hard for him to have any confidence or rhythm to his game.

exactly

call 4 plays where he's a real option at least.

he can't be reversed. he came in as a pass catcher and a so so blocker

now he's an excellent blocker who can't catch a pass

does he work with the line coach or the te coach?
Share 49ersWebzone