• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Inactive today.

Saw that. Is Carrier active?

yes Carrier and Celek will back up Davis.
Wow! Is there an injury I hadn't heard about?

ankle injury. probably a minor sprain and they want him healthy for the playoffs.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Delanie Walker had two receptions in his first year. McDonald is raw. He's had opportunities but he's dropped those. He'll keep developing.

See, i really kind of disagree with that. He had two tough catches that he did not make. Then he gets put on ice. What does that do for a players confidence, that you are in the doghouse with OC/HC. And those were really tough catches. This guy walks with his knuckles on the ground. We should be targeting him for medium yards all over the place, and keep throwing it to him until he starts to catch them. Within reason.
Delanie Walker had two receptions in his first year. McDonald is raw. He's had opportunities but he's dropped those. He'll keep developing.

Exactly!!!

Plus what a lot of fair weather's on here are missing his he is being honed on the blocking scheme of the NFL. Huge my fellow fans. This he needs to grasp first. He shows lots of upside.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

See, i really kind of disagree with that. He had two tough catches that he did not make. Then he gets put on ice. What does that do for a players confidence, that you are in the doghouse with OC/HC. And those were really tough catches. This guy walks with his knuckles on the ground. We should be targeting him for medium yards all over the place, and keep throwing it to him until he starts to catch them. Within reason.
pretty sure he is injured and not in the doghouse. no way carrier would push him out of his spot. I think McDonald is just being underutilized. it is hard to make plays when the TE ahead of you is the best in the league
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

One play a few games ago that sticks in my mind (and might be one of the two you refer) hit him right in the hands and was immediately stripped. Had no chance due to defender, but no separation from the defender. I didn't buy many saying our passing game was suffering due to all receivers not gaining separation, but there is a hint of truth in past games with our lesser WRs, and a little with McDonald. Also wasn't Delanie a WR in College?
I still have hopes for the kid
Delanie >>>>>
17 mil >>>>>> 4.x mil

Is Walker better of course he is but Walker wanted to get paid and we cant pay a backup TE 17 mil when our starting TE is making 42 million.

He will have to work on his hands but there is no reason we shouldn't be targeting him more and allowing him to do something other than blocking. He will be a great safety blanket down the road if we let him. For now we are relying on Miller. Walker took many years to become what he was.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 16, 2013 at 4:50 AM ]
watched the titans-cards for about 5 minutes yesterday, in 1 red zone series delaine walker had 2 drops LOL
Celek did pretty decent yesterday with Mcdonald out.

• Buchy
  • Veteran
i think the issue for McDonald is his blocking technique and assignments. When he played at college he was used as a slot receiver and rarely fulfilled a full TE role with blocking responsibilities. With us having Vernon Davis, it means Vance has to be the blocker and it's taking time for him to train up and get there. I think he'll be big next season.
Originally posted by Buchy:
i think the issue for McDonald is his blocking technique and assignments. When he played at college he was used as a slot receiver and rarely fulfilled a full TE role with blocking responsibilities. With us having Vernon Davis, it means Vance has to be the blocker and it's taking time for him to train up and get there. I think he'll be big next season.

same thing im thinking, vernon's rookie yr had him blocking and learning technique before he became the monster te we all see today
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Buchy:

same thing im thinking, vernon's rookie yr had him blocking and learning technique before he became the monster te we all see today

Vernon actually caught passes his rookie year unlike Vance. He didn't just "learn to block" his rookie year. He would have probably had 500 yards receiving had he stayed healthy (ended with 20 catches for 265 and 3 TDs in only 10 games). Everyone could tell the potential was there for Vernon. McDonald on the other hand hasn't shown much of anything except trucking Dick Sherman which was heck of a play.
Nice block on the Boldin screen!

But some crucial drops this doot
Still sucks.
Share 49ersWebzone