LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
where has this guy been? Why aren't any passes going his way? I would assume the focus on Vernon Davis would open up some looks for this guy?
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
where has this guy been? Why aren't any passes going his way? I would assume the focus on Vernon Davis would open up some looks for this guy?

I'd assume some combination of:

1. He has no hands,
  2. Kaep not trusting him,
  3. Kaep doesn't make it through his progressions very well under fire
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I really can't figure why he isn't used more. I'm gonna hope they're hiding his ass for the playoffs, but as we know our receivers coaches probably aren't very good.

He's a matchup nightmare and a second round pick. Stop drafting athletic skill players with your second round picks if you're not gonna use them. I know his hands are rough but get his ass some reps. Let's go to him on a third down and see if he makes plays. Get him some f**kin confidence.

I'm seeing 5th round Luke Wilson from the same school catch 40 yard TDs against the best D in the league yesterday, but V McD can't get nothing? Makes no f**kin sense.
Originally posted by Antix:
I really can't figure why he isn't used more. I'm gonna hope they're hiding his ass for the playoffs, but as we know our receivers coaches probably aren't very good.

He's a matchup nightmare and a second round pick. Stop drafting athletic skill players with your second round picks if you're not gonna use them. I know his hands are rough but get his ass some reps. Let's go to him on a third down and see if he makes plays. Get him some f**kin confidence.

I'm seeing 5th round Luke Wilson from the same school catch 40 yard TDs against the best D in the league yesterday, but V McD can't get nothing? Makes no f**kin sense.

Was luke wilson Big Mac's backup at Rice? LMAO
Was luke wilson Big Mac's backup at Rice? LMAO

Yup. I look at Luke Willson and he's basically the same guy McDonald is. No reason why we can't use Vance the same way. But the coaches don't seem to flex him out wide and give him an opportunity to play like he did in college. At Rice he was used as a big slot WR. Here we're trying hard to turn him into an in-line TE and blocker. His strength is running routes and catching passes. Wish we played him more to his strength.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Yup. I look at Luke Willson and he's basically the same guy McDonald is. No reason why we can't use Vance the same way. But the coaches don't seem to flex him out wide and give him an opportunity to play like he did in college. At Rice he was used as a big slot WR. Here we're trying hard to turn him into an in-line TE and blocker. His strength is running routes and catching passes. Wish we played him more to his strength.

yup
or wish they would have him do BOTH

block

and spread out

consistently

makes it harder to defend
Originally posted by 1swift:

I'd assume some combination of:

1. He has no hands,
  2. Kaep not trusting him,
  3. Kaep doesn't make it through his progressions very well under fire

Cuz only VD and Q catch touchdowns. That's the only thing you need to know.
Delanie Walker had two receptions in his first year. McDonald is raw. He's had opportunities but he's dropped those. He'll keep developing.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Delanie Walker had two receptions in his first year. McDonald is raw. He's had opportunities but he's dropped those. He'll keep developing.

he needs to go work on his hands like vernon did. now vernon is one of our most sure handed targets, when he came in i thought he would be nothing but a more athletic lineman after all the drops he had. mcdonald needs work but he can be legit, his size is really good
Inactive today.

Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Inactive today.

like a boss!
Inactive today.

Saw that. Is Carrier active?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Inactive today.

yes Carrier and Celek will back up Davis.
Inactive today.

lame
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Inactive today.

yes Carrier and Celek will back up Davis.
Wow! Is there an injury I hadn't heard about?
Share 49ersWebzone