LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Defender made a great play on that pass. Give him 50% blame.

f**k that. He is an NFL tight end. Perfect pass and he had it in his hands. Have to hold on. You don't give Kap any passes, don't give him one. In that situation, you gotta make that play

The LB started ripping his arm down once the ball made contact. Its a strength vs strength scenario. It it was a DB I think he holds on, against whoever it was its a toss up. That guy had great coverage, Panthers have a player in that guy.

Yes, that LB ripped his arms down. Guess what? That happens a lot in the NFL and everyone is strong. Even DBs. Have to make that play. That's how you win games and get the coaches to give you more plays. You seem to give Kap no passes and you're giving this kid one in the biggest drop of the game. That was huge. Hold on to the ball. He needs to step up in NO. No excuses.

perfect position to rip his arm back, its a hard catch with his arm in that position
He will have plenty of opportunities this week and several plays where he'll be the first read. Lets see how he does. At this point, the coaches don't know what they have with him. When he gets a chance, he NEEDS to make a play. Maybe if he made that grab, we would have won the game and the coaches would have more confidence in him. That drop was inexcusable in that situation.

maybe but how many times does it have to come down to 1 chance a game though and you're judged off of that 1 chance. to me that isn't fair.

is there any reason he hasn't been a target in the redzone... i asked how many td's would he have with the patriots right now off redzone alone?
and is there any viable reason we can't use him the same way with vernon..
Defender made a great play on that pass. Give him 50% blame.

f**k that. He is an NFL tight end. Perfect pass and he had it in his hands. Have to hold on. You don't give Kap any passes, don't give him one. In that situation, you gotta make that play

The LB started ripping his arm down once the ball made contact. Its a strength vs strength scenario. It it was a DB I think he holds on, against whoever it was its a toss up. That guy had great coverage, Panthers have a player in that guy.

Yes, that LB ripped his arms down. Guess what? That happens a lot in the NFL and everyone is strong. Even DBs. Have to make that play. That's how you win games and get the coaches to give you more plays. You seem to give Kap no passes and you're giving this kid one in the biggest drop of the game. That was huge. Hold on to the ball. He needs to step up in NO. No excuses.

perfect position to rip his arm back, its a hard catch with his arm in that position

I don't mean to be subjective, but I was at the game and had a view of the back end of this play.

Whether it was miscommunication or by design, Vance Mcdonald -- for some reason -- veered outside, as opposed to running a linear streak down the field as he was untouched. In my opinion, it's for that reason that he was forced to catch it low and away from his body (making it susceptible to a rip move) than comfortably high-pointing the ball. Rookie woes, I guess.
[ Edited by Imfasterthanur on Nov 11, 2013 at 2:01 PM ]
If Vance did a Vernon jump-catch on the one he dropped, he would have protected the ball better and possibly made the reception.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
I'm sick of the whiners here.

McDonald has made some really great grabs this rookie season.

Someone please post a vid of that play to McDonald.

Lets see if it was indeed that he is so terrible as claimed by some here, or if indeed the defender made strong play.

Lets see THE TRUTH PLEASE.

LOL. He has made how many "great" grabs? Two? I was worried about his lack of athleticism at this level. With that said, he could be "Witten type" (not saying he will be that good, but same possession type guy) because his hands are supposed to be good. The kid cannot drop the ball. Point blank. He f**ked up big time yesterday and his rookie season has not been impressive. He needs to step up. And step up NOW

seriously. these fool is callin people out when he doesnt even remember the play. the defender didnt get to his arms til after he already dropped it. hit him right in the hands and he couldnt handle it. i think for every catch hes made hes dropped two or three

Again, he needs to hold on. You have to make a play in that situation. Other QBs have guys make tough plays. We needed that play. Bottom line.

Again, he needs to hold on. You have to make a play in that situation. Other QBs have guys make tough plays. We needed that play. Bottom line.

This.

He needs to catch it but Im not blaming the loss on that play. At this point for a guy who has been used like a lineman all year, Im not going to kill him for it.

He needs to catch it but Im not blaming the loss on that play. At this point for a guy who has been used like a lineman all year, Im not going to kill him for it.

Not killing him. His job as an NFL TE: block and catch the ball. He was a WR in college and his hands are what got him to the NFL. Of course there are many other factors to the loss, but offensively, that was arguably the biggest. Late in the game. To get us in the redzone. When we have been struggling all game. The best pass from Kap BY FAR all game. HAVE to make that play. If not, well, we saw what happened. We lost. That play alone, literally, could have won us the game. At the minimum it would have setup a relatively easy FG attempt. The kid needs to step up. NOW. This is the NFL, not Rice University. He needs to bring it in NO.
Butterfingers!!

Apart from this play he hasn't done squat all season. He's had plenty of snaps to make an impact and has simply has not. Remember Vernon has missed quite a bit of playing time so far so spare me with the all the "he hasn't been given enough chances to play" talk. I said it on draft day. I wanted Ertz or Gavin Escobar. More so Escobar.
[ Edited by 951NINER on Nov 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM ]
Jreff, the NFL Films guy basically quoted a few things I said in this thread regarding this play. He HAD to make that play. In that situation.

Everybody wanted to dump Walker to make THESE catches.

Vance is young and I see the potential, but at this early point of his career.... He hasn't been an upgrade over Delanie. He will soon I hope
I say Kaep should throw it to him in games until either A) Vance proves he is the guy to replace and be an upgrade over Delanie Walker or B) Vance proves he isn't as good as Delanie Walker. He needs more targets. Lots more. McDonald will never reach his potential until he is involved more in this offense. One of the main reasons we know that Kyle has reached his "potential" is because he has had ample opportunities to show us who he is.

In McDonald's defense, I wouldn't call this a Delanie Walker type of drop however (see the Rams game from last year). The defender did have his arm. But in that situation, McDonald does have to make that play.
vance mcnuggets
Share 49ersWebzone