LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The Niners traded McDonald and a 2018 5th round pick to the Steelers for a 2018 4th round pick. If that isn't highway robbery I don't know what is.

For who? I find it kinda embarrassing we had to trade a pick with a former 2nd rounder just to get a 4th rounder. Hes not even an upcoming ufa.

True but we got rid of that contract and Kittle is already outperforming him and a better fit for our offense. And now wr very another high 4th because the Steelers stink.

Same concept with Torrey Smith where Goodwin is a fraction of his cost while he's producing x3 more already.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
We could have had Kelce instead of this bum.
Originally posted by Furlow:

We literally passed on every TE I wanted for YEARS and then went with Jaws instead. I don't know what's funnier (now); the pick itself or the original comparison to Mike Ditka.
Originally posted by NCommand:

We literally passed on every TE I wanted for YEARS and then went with Jaws instead. I don't know what's funnier (now); the pick itself or the original comparison to Mike Ditka.

What's funnier is everyone who defended Baalke giving him top 5 TE money
[ Edited by blizzuntz on Oct 10, 2017 at 7:45 PM ]
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Yeah, I'm not one to get caught up on contacts much esp. when we had $100-gazillion to work with (and Paraag writing them) but I thought the timing was odd.

Or people touting how he was the best blocking TE in the league to justify the fact that he couldn't catch a football to save his life.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Oct 11, 2017 at 8:04 AM ]
I am glad McDonald is gone, I just wish Baalke wouldn't have been able to extend both Bowman and McDonald before he got fired. York had to have known he was going to make that move, so why let Baalke spend money at that point when it wasn't needed? This new regime is making strides of improvement, but they did waste a little money in the off season on guys we ended up just letting go for nothing, and eating up some of our money (Yes I know we have tons, but you still don't want to just throw it away on players not here anymore). The Kerley signing to me was odd, in that everyone knew we were going to bring in a lot of WR's, and with tons of picks in the draft it was all but certain we were going to draft 1 or more. That move was like 3 million wasted, then you count Paulsen+Hightower and others and the money starts racking up a little on dead money. That's not even including the Malcolm Smith deal that we over paid on, and now looks like a contract we want gone by having Foster and Ray Ray here.

I just hope this off season we focus on a couple positions of need in FA, like a #1 WR (Watkins?) A Leo is an elite one a FA? A QB (Cousins?) Singing Cousins+Watkins would improve our O quite a bit, and perhaps if a good Center or Guard is available we sign one of them. Then in the draft if a Leo is worthy of a top 5 pick, then we go that route, and all of a sudden our team is starting to look more formidable.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Or people touting how he was the best blocking TE in the league to justify the fact that he couldn't catch a football to save his life.

Blocking TE's are kind of a big deal in the HaRoman & Kelly offenses. He was always a poor fit for a WCO (Geep & Kyle).

Too bad...dude had a ton of talent...he wasted it.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I am glad McDonald is gone, I just wish Baalke wouldn't have been able to extend both Bowman and McDonald before he got fired. York had to have known he was going to make that move, so why let Baalke spend money at that point when it wasn't needed? This new regime is making strides of improvement, but they did waste a little money in the off season on guys we ended up just letting go for nothing, and eating up some of our money (Yes I know we have tons, but you still don't want to just throw it away on players not here anymore). The Kerley signing to me was odd, in that everyone knew we were going to bring in a lot of WR's, and with tons of picks in the draft it was all but certain we were going to draft 1 or more. That move was like 3 million wasted, then you count Paulsen+Hightower and others and the money starts racking up a little on dead money. That's not even including the Malcolm Smith deal that we over paid on, and now looks like a contract we want gone by having Foster and Ray Ray here.

I just hope this off season we focus on a couple positions of need in FA, like a #1 WR (Watkins?) A Leo is an elite one a FA? A QB (Cousins?) Singing Cousins+Watkins would improve our O quite a bit, and perhaps if a good Center or Guard is available we sign one of them. Then in the draft if a Leo is worthy of a top 5 pick, then we go that route, and all of a sudden our team is starting to look more formidable.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

Blocking TE's are kind of a big deal in the HaRoman & Kelly offenses. He was always a poor fit for a WCO (Geep & Kyle).

But Baalke extended him after it was clear Kelly was on the way out .

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I know. I said it was really odd timing. And so was the extension as he hadn't proved to be consistent enough in the passing game at that point.

I know. I said it was really odd timing. And so was the extension as he hadn't proved to be consistent enough in the passing game at that point.

Hmm...I could be wrong but weren't you one of the biggest proponents of the VM extension? You took some stats from the previous year and put then together with stats from the current year and said that justified him getting top 10 (roughly) TE $?
Hmm...I could be wrong but weren't you one of the biggest proponents of the VM extension? You took some stats from the previous year and put then together with stats from the current year and said that justified him getting top 10 (roughly) TE $?

Like a lot of things the FO did, you can understand why they did what they did at the time (needed a 3-4 DE = Armstead / VMD was showing marked improvements in the passing game over that span we posted and he was up for FA) but I didn't always agree or agree with every aspect of a move. Once a move was made though, there's nothing you can do but hope that the original premise for the move turns out to be a good move. In some cases it did, in others it clearly didn't. If you want to see what "I" wanted to do as a pseudo GM, read through my annual Team Needs and mock drafts threads.

I'm stoked now. I got the HC I wanted and the the FO is restructured the way I've wanted since the 80's. Plus they followed my off season plan to a tee!
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 11, 2017 at 3:33 PM ]

Yeah, I'm not one to get caught up on contacts much esp. when we had $100-gazillion to work with (and Paraag writing them) but I thought the timing was odd.

It was obviously a dumb move pointed out by many, defended by few.
It was obviously a dumb move pointed out by many, defended by few.

Every move is a dumb move pointed out by many and sometimes those moves do in fact, turn out to be dumb moves. Conversely, many are too pussified to state good moves they like for fear they may end up being wrong and called out on it later. Many need clique threads to vent about it and others. Is this the "many" you were talking about? Many refer to their clique as "many."
Share 49ersWebzone