LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 415 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I dont mind the pick, i just dont like the trade up and lose #178. Hopefully he catches & blocks better than Delanie. Dude looks like he can play.

We aren't drafting 13 players, so giving up one of our sixth rounders to move up is not a terrible move.

Bottom line - I trust Harbaugh to evaluate TE talent. I trust him more with that position than with any other, except maybe QB. This is his offense and he knows the players that fit this offense and if he really wanted Ertz or Kelce they would have gotten that TE. He loves this guy because he fits Harbaugh's offensive system better than the others.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
McDonald is a better athlete and has a larger catch radius than Zach Ertz because of his much longer arms. He's 6'4 but he has long arms for his height compared to the other TE's in the draft. Toilolo is the only guy who is a much bigger target at TE (maybe Eifert - McDonald's arms are more than an inch longer, but Eifert is damn good at high-pointing balls).

also has a 5inch leap advantage over Ertz
We finally have a replacement for Jennings!!!
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Originally posted by BayArea:
He looks like he could fill Walker's role easily. Let's face it we aren't in rebuild mode anymore we have to fill holes because we are in superbowl trophy RIGHT f**kING NOW mode.

Have a feeling Vernon will play Delaney's H-back role when Vance is in. Will allow Vermon to have more opportunity.

VD will line up normal. This kid was mainly line up at slot so he's a good blocker in space, we will line him up in the backfield and slot to keep him blocking in space. Vd's In line blocking is to good, so they mix well togather.
I like the pick, only cost us a 6th to move up.
Lovin the pick. We needed a blocking TE and we got him.
I really hoped we get Chris Gregg in the 3rd, but I trust HarBaalk. I'm good with this pick
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Son of Tim McDonald. Former 49er. Watch your tongue

I think you are incorrect unless Tim McDonald is now white

Just saw his pic. Literally lold. I swear they said it on radio. Or I'm stoned
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I like the pick, only cost us a 6th to move up.

yeah, that's a nice deal considering we picked up a 2014 3rd for moving back 6 spots earlier.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I dont mind the pick, i just dont like the trade up and lose #178. Hopefully he catches & blocks better than Delanie. Dude looks like he can play.

It's pick 178. There is no way we can use all of these. I expected some trade ups, trades for 2014 draft picks, or bundling those late picks that aren't comp picks for another 3rd or 4th. There are not 12-13 rookies that are going to make this team. I'm thinking trading up was probably a result of Escobar being taken. If Ertz and Eifert were the only tight ends off the board, it's likely that either Escobar or McDonald would've still been available at 61. But it wasn't out of the question for Green Bay and Atlanta to be looking at tight end.

McDonald is bigger and faster than Ertz, Eifert and Kelce.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
McDonald is bigger and faster than Ertz, Eifert and Kelce.

McD is 6'4 Ertz is 6'5

but McD is faster, bigger vertical and longer arms
Wow, gotta say, the first two I expected and although I expected a TE, this one did catch me by surprise. Was thinking the niners might have to move up cause two te had just been selected and they did, but thought it would have ne kelce, I guess maybe they were not keen on some supposed issues. Anyway it did say that he was expected to go in the 2nd to 3rd round.

I do see that he has long snapper skills, so special teams player to. In a way just like Walker, but bigger and I hope better catcher. Says he has long arms, hint that is how you can figure some baalkes picks in the future-must have long arms. Also playedpositioned more like a wr which walker was before being converted to te. Not worried about expending a sixth, not a biggie price.

So you thought you had Baalke figured out after the first two picks did you? Surprise! Hahaha. Now what next?
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i wanted a TE who was 6'6" or taller but whatev

McDonald is a better athlete and has a larger catch radius than Zach Ertz because of his much longer arms. He's 6'4 but he has long arms for his height compared to the other TE's in the draft. Toilolo is the only guy who is a much bigger target at TE (maybe Eifert - McDonald's arms are more than an inch longer, but Eifert is damn good at high-pointing balls).

Yeah, McDonald could turn out to be a solid #2 so we'll see. Heard him on KNBR, seems like a good ugy
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Why are people loving this pick? He's big and fast in a straight line, that's about it. His hands are VERY suspect, and I don't see clean routes. I don't know, maybe this one of those "we'll coach him up" picks. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone