LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Originally posted by Antix:
I was annoyed on the drops because, to me, catching is just so easy and i hate dropped passes. But like NC said, you couldn't even tell a rookie was out there in terms of his blocking.

His drops are gonna be an issue. Blocking and physicality is awesome and we need it, but drops are glaring mistakes. Hopefully he gets better because it seems he's gonna be open a lot and we need those plays.

Yeah he drops two 'easy' ones and catches the two harder ones. This can lead to frustration for us fans when the drop comes on a 3rd down and Kap puts the ball right in his stomach. Hands and concentration can be improved though, unlike some of the physical traits that he possesses.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
VMAC missed catchable ball at 7:08 and 4:56 in the first half. Play makers like Gronkowski would make that catch. I know he is a rookie and not Gronkowski, yet.

He did well for his first NFL game.

I think he will be fine as the season progresses

I think McDonald's performance can be graded as "good, but not perfect" which is mostly what you'd expect from a rookie. He looked like he was doing a fine job blocking and running his routes. It will be nice to see what he looks like mid-season.

The point I am making is that he has more work to do. Which is your point.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
He caught four out of six passes. How many of those passes would Delanie Walker have caught? Just askin.

He's definitely going to be a better receiver and if he gets his blocking down, he'll be a better all-around TE. He's going to be the kind of guy who misses one once in a while but usually snags it. And, at this point, I'm not worried about alligator arms at all. That game was his first introduction to NFL contact. He'll get used to it.

I agree. He did very well for his first NFL game. A good start without a doubt.

mind blown
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
McDonald has never really played TE, he was a slot reciever in college.

D. Walker was a reciever in college as well.

This will be interesting!

Thats a misnomer, he was used everywhere. Early on he played allot more in the slot but in his senior year he played more at TE than slot.

And he's 6'5" 267 with long arms and from what we hear, looks as if he has solid hands.

Dude's gonna be a stud.

I like Vance, but the kid needs to work on his hands. The knock on him coming outta college was he drops too many catch-able balls. and thats showing a bit in the pros. I am looking forward to watching this kid develop.

in fairness, shouldnt we get to his 1st preseason game before we say bad hands have followed him to the pros? he literally hasnt even played one of those meaningless games yet, let alone the real ones.

I said showing "a bit" and reports out of practices will prove that statement correct. One just doesn't go from dropping too many catchable balls to sure handed, when facing tougher conditions (tougher defense, harder thrown balls, scheme uncertainty) over night. It will take some time, as it did for Davis, but I have no doubts he will over come. I just hope we as fans are willing to allow him that time and not expecting Carter like mitts out of the box and then bashing the poor kid when he doesn't.

TC is the time of the year for over reactions. during the season if a given player drops 5 passes in a practice, you never hear about it. my point is we need to see it in games before we start cracking on the kid.

Again don't need to see anything, it's a known. Im not over reacting, if he had sticky hands he'd not be a Niner

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I like Vance, but the kid needs to work on his hands. The knock on him coming outta college was he drops too many catch-able balls. and thats showing a bit in the pros. I am looking forward to watching this kid develop.

LOL....wut? How about we get through a few games, even preseason games, before making any bold proclamations, yeah?

Bold proclamations? ROFL, to say an issue that a kid had displayed all through college is likely to be a bit of a problem continuing into the NFL where everything is harder, until he is able to refine that skill, is a bold proclamation? LOL you're effin kidding me riiight?

Are we not allowed even the slightest of criticisms about a player, especially a rookie, without our fellow fans over reacting to said criticisms?

Look guys, I like this kid. He was my choice for favorite draft pick right here on these forums shortly after the draft, but to think he's a perfect product coming outta college, and issue that he displayed all through college are going to magically disappear after some OTA's and a training camp is a bit naive don't yah think?
[ Edited by WINiner on Aug 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

Most, if not all, NFL players have more work to do.

Apart from that fact, McDonald did well, not perfect, in his first game as a pro.

Be happy and enjoy it.
Originally posted by buck:

Most, if not all, NFL players have more work to do.

Apart from that fact, McDonald did well, not perfect, in his first game as a pro.

Be happy and enjoy it.

qft
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:
I was annoyed on the drops because, to me, catching is just so easy and i hate dropped passes. But like NC said, you couldn't even tell a rookie was out there in terms of his blocking.

His drops are gonna be an issue. Blocking and physicality is awesome and we need it, but drops are glaring mistakes. Hopefully he gets better because it seems he's gonna be open a lot and we need those plays.

I agree. His hands has always been his issue coming out of college. I watched those easy drops closely, you could see his arms and hands were slow. Let's see what training can do to help, hope he can improve.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
you can block like VD, but if you drop easy balls every game you'll never be the guy.
dude is a stud

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 37s Vance McDonald will be out 7 to 10 days with undisclosed injury, Harbaugh said. #49ers
Originally posted by valrod33:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 37s Vance McDonald will be out 7 to 10 days with undisclosed injury, Harbaugh said. #49ers

hmm hopefully not a lingering problem

Dont like that. I would rather there not be any delays in his progression and get as much game experience as possible. I guess it could be worse.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
bust

looks like Gray will get alot more playing time. KC game is going to be Celek vs Gray competing for that 3rd TE spot, imo.
Share 49ersWebzone