LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 325 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
He's a poor man's Bear Pascoe

Yes! This second round pick is almost identical to the sixth round pick Pascoe. Other than the fact that McDonald is faster, stronger and has caught a lot more passes, they could be twins!

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
He's a poor man's Bear Pascoe

a poor man's bear pascoe is bare pascoe

Fixed!
i have a feeling the 9ers will use vance mcdonald in vernon davis's role from last year and utilize vernon like they did delanie walker

delanie's role might be too complicated for vance to pick up in year 1

we shall see. it'd be a nice wrinkle to use
After the season is over, he's going to be legally eligible to change his name from 'Vance' to 'Beast'.

Though no rookies have yet scored a touchdown or made a key block or tackle in a real NFL game, many already have caught the eyes of teammates, coaches and the media as players who might make an impact in 2013. Chris Wesseling, who writes for NFL.com's Around the League section, picked out nine rookies that have been particularly good so far in minicamps and organized team activities (OTAs) since being drafted in April.

Among those is Niners tight end Vance McDonald, a second-round pick from Rice (the 55th overall selection in the draft) who caught 120 passes for 1,513 yards and 15 scores in four years of college football.

Wesseling puts McDonald in a group that consists of Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, Jaguars safety Johnathan Cyprien, Chargers linebacker Manti Te'o, Texans safety D.J. Swearinger, Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert, Ravens safety Matt Elam, Raiders linebacker Sio Moore and Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu.

McDonald, says Wesseling, emerged as a favorite target of 49ers quarterbacks and is expected to fill the role vacated by Delanie Walker, who left as a free agent.

Matt Barrows, who covers the 49ers for the Sacramento Bee, also filed positive reports about McDonald's performance in OTAs and minicamps.

"McDonald may have been the biggest standout among the (49ers') 11-man draft class," wrote Barrows. "The 6-4, 270-pound tight end showed why Rice used him so heavily as a wideout. He was a favorite for all the quarterbacks this spring, and he showed a real knack for catching passes that weren't exactly quite on target.

"McDonald has a big wingspan (34½-inch arms) and a huge catching radius."

Barrows also noted his agility and ability to adjust while running his routes, to catch balls thrown behind him or too high or too low, noting it builds confident with quarterbacks.

Coach Jim Harbaugh also called McDonald "outstanding" after the final day of minicamp, when McDonald – on his birthday – made several fine catches.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Rookie-Tight-End-McDonald-Has-Earned-Accolades-211824591.html
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
After the season is over, he's going to be legally eligible to change his name from 'Vance' to 'Beast'.

Though no rookies have yet scored a touchdown or made a key block or tackle in a real NFL game, many already have caught the eyes of teammates, coaches and the media as players who might make an impact in 2013. Chris Wesseling, who writes for NFL.com's Around the League section, picked out nine rookies that have been particularly good so far in minicamps and organized team activities (OTAs) since being drafted in April.

Among those is Niners tight end Vance McDonald, a second-round pick from Rice (the 55th overall selection in the draft) who caught 120 passes for 1,513 yards and 15 scores in four years of college football.

Wesseling puts McDonald in a group that consists of Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, Jaguars safety Johnathan Cyprien, Chargers linebacker Manti Te'o, Texans safety D.J. Swearinger, Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert, Ravens safety Matt Elam, Raiders linebacker Sio Moore and Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu.

McDonald, says Wesseling, emerged as a favorite target of 49ers quarterbacks and is expected to fill the role vacated by Delanie Walker, who left as a free agent.

Matt Barrows, who covers the 49ers for the Sacramento Bee, also filed positive reports about McDonald's performance in OTAs and minicamps.

"McDonald may have been the biggest standout among the (49ers') 11-man draft class," wrote Barrows. "The 6-4, 270-pound tight end showed why Rice used him so heavily as a wideout. He was a favorite for all the quarterbacks this spring, and he showed a real knack for catching passes that weren't exactly quite on target.

"McDonald has a big wingspan (34½-inch arms) and a huge catching radius."

Barrows also noted his agility and ability to adjust while running his routes, to catch balls thrown behind him or too high or too low, noting it builds confident with quarterbacks.

Coach Jim Harbaugh also called McDonald "outstanding" after the final day of minicamp, when McDonald – on his birthday – made several fine catches.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Rookie-Tight-End-McDonald-Has-Earned-Accolades-211824591.html

Vernon who?
Vernons gonna be our #2 WR while McD lights it up at TE this year.
Have fun Kaep.
Originally posted by GNS1310:
Vernons gonna be our #2 WR while McD lights it up at TE this year.
Have fun Kaep.
You know I love it.
Nah. Two tight end sets will be the norm and there will be a #2 receiver other than Davis, although he will get a few shots wide in each game maybe.

This isn't Madden.
Excited to see what he can do.
  • thl408
I was not able to find this topic in this thread (might have missed it), but what do you guys think about Vance actually taking over for VD's role and VD taking over for Delanie Walker's role. That is, VD will now be the guy that lines up all over the place, is the lead blocker on some running plays, and the guy creating huge mismatches in coverage, while Vance is the inline blocker.

I know Vance has no experience being an inline blocker and would have to be coached up, but it seems Vance's body type is more suited to be exploding into LBs and DEs. VD, with his freakish quickness, can be a fantastic lead blocker on those quick hitting run plays. I'm not sure how well Vance can handle being a lead blocker on run plays, but he just seems too big to play that role. His 40 time (straight line speed) is good, but how agile is he? If the answer is not much, then I feel he is better suited to be the inline TE.

(if this has been discussed, please reference the thread page, thanks)

• Jiks
Originally posted by thl408:
I was not able to find this topic in this thread (might have missed it), but what do you guys think about Vance actually taking over for VD's role and VD taking over for Delanie Walker's role. That is, VD will now be the guy that lines up all over the place, is the lead blocker on some running plays, and the guy creating huge mismatches in coverage, while Vance is the inline blocker.

I know Vance has no experience being an inline blocker and would have to be coached up, but it seems Vance's body type is more suited to be exploding into LBs and DEs. VD, with his freakish quickness, can be a fantastic lead blocker on those quick hitting run plays. I'm not sure how well Vance can handle being a lead blocker on run plays, but he just seems too big to play that role. His 40 time (straight line speed) is good, but how agile is he? If the answer is not much, then I feel he is better suited to be the inline TE.

Good post but I just see no reason Vance wouldn't be able to do both. If a guy like Bruce Miller can move around and lead block, I don't see why a guy like Vance couldn't. I know it's 2 different stories/positions but as far as "getting out and making those blocks" i just don't feel you NEED to be overly quick.
Originally posted by thl408:

Nice post...already seeing VD out wide, I'm sure he'll line up out of the Q formation, wham blocks, reverses, screens, etc. If McDonald continues to develop, they could be used interchangeably but I think you are on to something here. You get your playmakers the ball in their hands any way you can. Hell, the Rams beat us with Amendola this way with one collar bone! They moved him ALL over the place and created mismatches. I think using VD as the new "swiss army knife" is brilliant! Getting to a point where you can use VD and McDonald interchangeably will be a nightmare for defenses!
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 5, 2013 at 2:57 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
read this dude has bad DNA in his hands
Originally posted by boast:

What does this mean?
Originally posted by boast:

If has a pancake has a potato its thereby known as a patato. True story.
Share 49ersWebzone