LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
After Tank this is my favorite pick of this draft. Very excited about this guy. I believe he ends up being light years better than Delanie Walker and when his progression is complete we'll have the best 2 TE set in the game! Go Niners! Our TE's are going to have a much bigger role in the offense this season and with Crabs going down we'll need them to help pick up the slack. Jenkins, and Patton will also have to step up and contribute more as well.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by LVJay:
I like Celek a lot, but Gray does not look bad at all... any chance we keep all 4?

Maybe initially with crabtree on the mend then release one when he returns

Originally posted by frozen49er:
A 4 TE set, now that would be interesting to see.

Yeah, I wonder how creative Roman can get with that...

If it were to happen, and it worked really well for them, would they still release one when Crabs returned?
I like Celek a lot, but Gray does not look bad at all... any chance we keep all 4?

If it were to happen, and it worked really well for them, would they still release one when Crabs returned?

So many lulz and nonsense
What I think is going to happen is that Vance lines up in the slot and then becomes our go to guy on 3rd downs...ie, I think he goes across the middle, against guys his size(270 or less), reaches the open spot and sits down with a completed pass for first down. I am probably wrong on that, but I would love to see us try it....a 270 lb Wes welker across the middle on 3rd and long or 3rd and two. I just don't see a D being able to stop that play. Note: Vance DOES have to catch the ball first, but i fully expect him to do that.
Did I read correctly that they're trying him at LB, DE and Long snapper, or was that referring specifically to High School?
Originally posted by bdub2588:
Did I read correctly that they're trying him at LB, DE and Long snapper, or was that referring specifically to High School?

That was high school. McDonald will be primarily a TE with backup longsnapper duties.

Nah, just convert Crab to a TE too. Why have 4 TE's when you can have 5.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ritchie:

Nah, just convert Crab to a TE too. Why have 4 TE's when you can have 5.

Use TEs as decoys while Kaep passes it to himself--heard he's been working on his speed
It's always so easy to predict failure early on. Some of us were just so damn sure McDonald wasn't an answer at TE.

Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Yes his 4 touchdowns his senior year shows how he dominates the 5 9 cb's he faces in a mid major conference Oh wait 4 touchdowns aint that much. Hmmm maybe we just wanting him to be better than he has been. I know one thing he is good at, he is good at dropping passes and stalk blocking. Stop reading combine numbers and watching highlights to evaluate if a guy can play. Watch one game and you won't be so koolaid about a guy that was a 4th option on a bad team.

After this last mini-camp, maybe some of you would like to re-examine your opinions about Vance McDonald:

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee singled out McDonald's play as one of the key takeaways from veteran minicamp."Vance McDonald may have been the biggest standout among the 11-man (rookie) draft class," Barrows wrote. "He was a favorite for all the quarterbacks this spring, and he showed a real knack for catching passes that weren't exactly on target… He also is quite agile for his size, and on several occasions was able to twist his body and reach back for passes that were thrown behind him. Quarterbacks love to see that, and it builds confidence that he is a safe and reliable target."
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
It's always so easy to predict failure early on. Some of us were just so damn sure McDonald wasn't an answer at TE.

Yes his 4 touchdowns his senior year shows how he dominates the 5 9 cb's he faces in a mid major conference Oh wait 4 touchdowns aint that much. Hmmm maybe we just wanting him to be better than he has been. I know one thing he is good at, he is good at dropping passes and stalk blocking. Stop reading combine numbers and watching highlights to evaluate if a guy can play. Watch one game and you won't be so koolaid about a guy that was a 4th option on a bad team.

After this last mini-camp, maybe some of you would like to re-examine your opinions about Vance McDonald:

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee singled out McDonald's play as one of the key takeaways from veteran minicamp."Vance McDonald may have been the biggest standout among the 11-man (rookie) draft class," Barrows wrote. "He was a favorite for all the quarterbacks this spring, and he showed a real knack for catching passes that weren't exactly on target… He also is quite agile for his size, and on several occasions was able to twist his body and reach back for passes that were thrown behind him. Quarterbacks love to see that, and it builds confidence that he is a safe and reliable target."
very very happy about this pick. Gee a second string tight end who can actually catch the ball. I am giddy. The blocking can be worked on and he will improve in that area. Last year I just thought it was insane that walker was spending so much time with the jugs machine catching balls, like that helped him. You either got hands or you do not and walker does not. On a side note,, I think all teams who signed our free agents starting with walker over payed for players who were over rated by some on the webzone. Very happy to see good things from this kid. and i am also a little tired of people looking down their nose at a smaller school or smaller conference.

at 6'4"..he's not quite as tall as gronk but if he can out muscle and out leap smaller db's/lb's at or around the goal line he should be a real force

while we do lose crabtree i think we'll be more than ok w/ boldin coming in, manningham and kyle williams returning and adding mcdonald
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iLL49er:
at 6'4"..he's not quite as tall as gronk but if he can out muscle and out leap smaller db's/lb's at or around the goal line he should be a real force

while we do lose crabtree i think we'll be more than ok w/ boldin coming in, manningham and kyle williams returning and adding mcdonald

of course this is the truth and what ever we get out of the kids and jenkins will be gravy
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/6/17/4438344/vance-mcdonald-on-new-49ers-language-and-jim-harbaugh
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Very happy to read that. The only thing that stands out to me when watching McDonald is that his hands aren't very good, but we'll find out.
Stud horse! He's going to be fun to watch for years to come!! I'm beyond excited about seeing this kid in action and when all is said and done I think we'll have the best TE tandem in football! This will be one of the best under the radar picks of this draft IMO. Mayock was the only guy I heard even mention liking this pick on draft day and at the time of the pick it got so little attention that Mayock even had to ask who the 49ers just drafted. They wouldn't even talk about it.
Share 49ersWebzone