There are 171 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mayo49:
He reminds me of a bulked up Brent Jones.

If this opinion is anywhere need true, VMcD at the least will be a good TE. BJ was the $#!t, my favorite TE.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
First-round pick, safety Eric Reid, covered second-rounder, tight end Vance McDonald, often. Reid knocked away one throw, and McDonald beat him deep once. On two other throws, McDonald got loose, but he dropped the passes.

Just like Delanie Walker he will drop a few balls here and there, but his potential is intriguing.
reminds me of greg olsen
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
reminds me of greg olsen

Then great, Greg Olsen would be a very solid #2 TE
Hope this guy pans out
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Hope this guy pans out

Absolutely no worries about Vance McDonald. This kid has all the tools to be a big time TE in the NFL. If he catches the ball consistently he will have a big impact this season.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
reminds me of greg olsen

Then great, Greg Olsen would be a very solid #2 TE
Us Inner fans are always such idealists..
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Guys , in case no one noticed, I believe Vance (272)outweighs at least 3 of Our LBs. Also if you go back to the Baylor game against Longhorns...you will see one DB missing from the picture. You guessed it ....Vaccaro. That was a great pick NOT to make on the "best" FS.

Back to Vance, if he has long arms, was 2nd in TEs in the 40, blocks well,and the sucker is smart....unnnhh....how in the world is this not a huge improvement over Delanie?

Pasodoc9er is in good company. Gil Brandt picked 9, second day selections that would make an impact as a rookie.

Vance McDonald, TE, RiceSan Francisco 49ers, Round 2, No. 55 overall

McDonald is a great steal. He should step right in and contribute from Week 1 as the Niners' second tight end, out-producing the departed Delanie Walker in that capacity. He has the speed and coordination to play the position and possesses very good hands, though he must learn to block better.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167903/article/tyrann-mathieu-montee-ball-among-key-picks-beyond-round-1
The more I read and look into this guy, I like the pick more and more. A knock on Davis coming in was his blocking. He worked extremely hard at his blocking skill and now he is one if not the best in the league at it. McDonald will need time with the jug machine thou, his drop count does concern me. We have the best coaches and vets to help him perfect his "skills".
[ Edited by Albinorhino49 on May 13, 2013 at 8:19 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
this joto is burning our starting safety?? We're in for a long season.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Or we stumbled onto the next Gronk / Jimmy Graham. Always two sides to that coin.
Rice is a private school especially for ultra smart kids. Back a million yrs ago in high school in Houston, they were part of the SWC, now extinct, but it included all the big schools, Tex A& M, Longhorns, Baylor, SMU (before the death penalty), Oklahoma, OK State, etc. Rice routinely got shellacked but we followed them anyway. I assure you that picture of Vance looking like a take off off of paler Vernon, is NOT what those Rice footballers used to look like. This guy looks like you wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley. My guess is he is 4X smarter than i am(ok, that isn't saying much), and I don't think we have to worry about our #2 TE not knowing his plays. I was a fan of Delanie, and when we passed on Ertz, I was surprised. Now i am excited as all get out to see what vance can do. This could be one of the real steals of the draft, not quite like Kap at #2 when we drafted him, but certainly in that group. He is not going to outplay our all pro #85, but i think he will compliment vernon and actually make vernon have a better yr when the D realizes this kid can catch, run, block, and move the chains. Worst thing that could happen to vernon is they start single covering him...which will be a bad idea for opponent's D. Best thing that could happen is we have two really great TEs. Not saying vance is anywhere near vernon, but he could end up that way and we could ground and pound or let 'er rip against Ds, just with our two TEs. That is where I think Vance is heading.

From Rice, no less....who would've thunk it?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Should a drafted Rhodes instead...
And I'm new to the forum, but homosexual remarks aren't very respectable. I for one am not one, but if there were any on this forum I'd be ashamed.
And I'm not trolling... Just being politically decent..
Share 49ersWebzone