LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Since he was in the slot so often he was dominating his blocks versus smaller CBs. I'm not worried though, he has the size and strength to excel as a blocker whether it be from the slot, motioning in the backfield, or inline. My only concern with this guy is pass catching since all the reports I read has him good for one drop per game.
Originally posted by cciowa:
gee to have a second tight end who can actually catch the ball. what a novel concept here

And one who has the stature to actually make him a viable red-zone target. I think the weapons we've added are just going to open things up even more for everybody. Even with Manningham hurt and maybe not ready to play until the second half of the season, we still have all the following in our arsenal who respectively could be involved in the same play at the same time in various combinations, depending on what we want to do:

Gore, James, Hunter, Crabtree, Boldin, Vernon, McDonald, Jenkins, Patton, Williams.

Remember when Bryan Gilmore, Arnaz Battle, Curtis Conway, and Johnnie Morton were receivers on this team? And people seriously questioned why a young/rookie QB couldn't elevate them to greatness ....
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM ]
Arnaz Battle - I liked him a lot, but it's hard to believe there was a time when he was the best receiver on the squad. This team and that team are day and night.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Arnaz Battle - I liked him a lot, but it's hard to believe there was a time when he was the best receiver on the squad. This team and that team are day and night.

Battle probably wouldn't make the team, and he was the best option... sheesh I the rationalizations I used to make...
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Battle probably wouldn't make the team, and he was the best option... sheesh I the rationalizations I used to make...
Battle and everyone else on that particular receiving group wouldn't have a chance to make it on to this team.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I agree. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that he did 31 reps on the bench press.

That's not incredibly uncommon at his weight level, but considering how long his arms are its pretty good. Its his movement skills at that size. And, ultimately, his lower body surge might predominately be where power lies.

Battle and everyone else on that particular receiving group wouldn't have a chance to make it on to this team.
Well... to be honest, I'm not sure we have a better WR/KR/PR on the team right now.... So if a young Arnaz Battle were magically teleported to our roster, I'm not sure he doesn't beat out one of the other WRs....
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

Well... to be honest, I'm not sure we have a better WR/KR/PR on the team right now.... So if a young Arnaz Battle were magically teleported to our roster, I'm not sure he doesn't beat out one of the other WRs....

He was terribad
Originally posted by bdub2588:
That's not incredibly uncommon at his weight level, but considering how long his arms are its pretty good. Its his movement skills at that size. And, ultimately, his lower body surge might predominately be where power lies.

This. At his weight its not that amazing, but when you consider his long freaking arms, its an outstanding achievement.
Love the pick and McDonalds measurables. I am also convinced that Seattle really wanted him and traded down as soon as he was picked. I have no way of knowing that for sure of course but I'm sticking with it.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Love the pick and McDonalds measurables. I am also convinced that Seattle really wanted him and traded down as soon as he was picked. I have no way of knowing that for sure of course but I'm sticking with it.

I feel the same way. I think Seattle is unorthodox enough to have taken McDonald AND Wilson as well. Both those Rice TE's are physical freaks. I don't buy that Seattle all of a sudden traded down just because, McDonald would have been an awesome weapon for Russell Wilson, big massive target for them.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I feel the same way. I think Seattle is unorthodox enough to have taken McDonald AND Wilson as well. Both those Rice TE's are physical freaks. I don't buy that Seattle all of a sudden traded down just because, McDonald would have been an awesome weapon for Russell Wilson, big massive target for them.

Who knows... they did appear to trade up in front of themselves in the 5th round.
Yes considering his measurables we should make clones and just coach him up at all positions. Because long arms, benchpress, and 40x predict hall of fame careers. If or safety doesn't work out our gets hurt sure we could just plug him in...
[ Edited by Need4Speed on May 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
This pick didnt excite me, probably the least of the first 5 rounds... but Harbaughs excitement is getting me pumped.

There is something in McDonald thats making Harbaugh and Baalke moist and I'm excited to see what it is.
  • mod
  • Veteran

I dont think you guys are giving Battle enough credit... that dude was clutch on third downs, very dependable. Battle in his prime would be the number 4 receiver on this squad... possibly number 3 last year. I'm shocked he did as well as he did as our starting WR.
Share 49ersWebzone