LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 302 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Vance's second longest catch of last season.

VD and Vance's routes are designed to beat the sideline defender at the top of the screen.

It's important that Vance quickly moves away from VD. The yellow line is the path that Vance took to create spacing between himself and VD. The orange defender is the defender under attack.

WAS shows cover3. The routes fully develop and the orange defender is horizontally stretched. Does he shade towards VD or Vance? Kap pulls the trigger.

Kap leads Vance towards the sidelines so that there's more ground for orange to cover when coming over to defend the pass.

23 yard catch
[ Edited by thl408 on Jul 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by buck:.

Walker had 0 drops in his first year.
McDonald had 3 drops.

Don't worry, Walker made up for it with plenty of drops the rest of his 49er career

lmao true that
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Thl408, the Vance 20+ yard catch play, those redskin linebackers really bit on the play fake.
Originally posted by thl408:
Flashed some hands

Originally posted by thl408:
Flashed some hands

i dont really care what the rule book says but i dont like plays like that being ruled catches. i remember the play, kaep threw it and the ball got deflected, vance got his hands on it, but when he hits the ground you can see a little ball movement.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i dont really care what the rule book says but i dont like plays like that being ruled catches. i remember the play, kaep threw it and the ball got deflected, vance got his hands on it, but when he hits the ground you can see a little ball movement.
When the call is catch it must be conclusive evidence to overturn the call. As it should be
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Hopefully he becomes a big part of this teams offense.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Thl408, the Vance 20+ yard catch play, those redskin linebackers really bit on the play fake.

The three LB's (one is actually the SS, IIRC) actually got to their drops pretty quickly. The only one who was slow was actually dropping to the side away from Vance. Kerrigan got toasted by Vance, but he lined head up on him and had him as an assignment the whole way, he just completely failed on his re-route. This Play did a good job of attacking a poorly executed Cover 3 from a Man-1 pre-snap read, IMO.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Giedi:

The three LB's (one is actually the SS, IIRC) actually got to their drops pretty quickly. The only one who was slow was actually dropping to the side away from Vance. Kerrigan got toasted by Vance, but he lined head up on him and had him as an assignment the whole way, he just completely failed on his re-route. This Play did a good job of attacking a poorly executed Cover 3 from a Man-1 pre-snap read, IMO.
The LB heads up on Vance was expecting a down block from vance and was bracing for it, and vance released to the outside and was gone by the time the LB realized it was a pass. He missed his opportunity to jam vance at the LOS because of the excellently executed play fake.
Vance refrigeration has a chance to be as good and solid as brent jones

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Recent interview.

^^^ Well spoken kid. I like his take on getting used to CK's ball (and how having VD out is helping a ton for all the TE's getting key reps) and facing the defense and what a challenge last year was. It sounds like they put everything on his plate and now it's "smooth" sailing...he can just play.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Recent interview.

Dang ... I forget how big this guy really is If he becomes more consistent as a receiver, and they can design plays that get him the ball in space ... yikes.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Dang ... I forget how big this guy really is If he becomes more consistent as a receiver, and they can design plays that get him the ball in space ... yikes.

He's going to literally, hurt someone!
Originally posted by NCommand:
He's going to literally, hurt someone!

Now all he has to work on is hurting their feelings too.

...and catching.
Share 49ersWebzone