There are 166 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
yes, it's VERY realistic. Except the fact that no one ever retires. I'm in year 6 of my franchise and Manning is now on the chargers and ray lewis is on the eagles.

This is realistic? Just curious, do you have a realistic job?

The key word there was "except".

If insulting others is your thing, the least you can do is learn to read better.
Originally posted by ethan:
Gabbert gets trashed here more than any other QB. McDonald gets trashed more than any other TE. So, yeah, they are underdogs. I've said good things about Carrier and Greene here. Not much interested in the other QBs, because I think they only carry two.

One of the main reasons those two are getting trashed is some dude named ethan is on this site overstating these players' value
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'd say McDonald had a pretty good rookie year. He's an excellent downfield blocker...

Obviously needs work on his hands, but nothing to suggest he's not 'pro-material'.

I wouldn't call him an excellent blocker...but he does have great potential in that area with his size/athleticism. Delanie Walker was pretty raw when we first got him and needed a few years to mature his game. Vance needs time too, but he was a 2nd rd pick as opposed to Delanie being selected in the 6th, so people tend to have greater expectations and less patience.

I would argue the biggest dropoff going from Delanie to Vance was the blocking, even more than the receiving. Delanie was an absolute stud in that regard, even being the lead blocker on a number of plays. He was a true FB/TE hybrid. Hopefully Vance can get to that point, but hope to see more of him as a slot WR too.

Yeah, he needs to improve his consistency in blocking. He tends to want to slow down and square up on the guy he wants to block in space when he should just keep attacking the block and let the running back figure out which way to cut behind the block. There were some occasions last year where Gore had to wait too long for Vance to commit to his block. Not saying he's a bad blocker - especially for a rookie, he was pretty solid - but I wouldn't call him an excellent blocker yet either.

I think that most of last year the game was just too fast for Vance. He had to think too much about where he should be and what he should do on a play. I swear on some of his drops, it just plain looked like he was surprised that the ball came his way. I think there's a good chance he will get better at catching passes this year. But with Vernon and that stable of WR, he may not get many opportunities. He better make the most of the ones he gets.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Jun 29, 2014 at 6:38 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by swayze:
Gabbert gets trashed here more than any other QB. McDonald gets trashed more than any other TE. So, yeah, they are underdogs. I've said good things about Carrier and Greene here. Not much interested in the other QBs, because I think they only carry two.

One of the main reasons those two are getting trashed is some dude named ethan is on this site overstating these players' value

not to pick on posters but swayze does have a point. When ethan compares ck to gabbert and rolls out some comparison between the two at a combine years ago that no one cares about... well he should not roll out the shock and awe when people start to flame him a bit. gabbert and vance are valuable for what they are. Gabbert has been pretty bad so far in his nfl career but has a final chance to revive it with good coaches and if he is good enough to take the back up job, more power to him. vance was not lights out as a rookie but we all trust and pray he will be much better this year giving us another tool in our tool kit. in my opinion that is were it should stop. neither one is at the level of the people in front of them and quite possibly never will be. To act like they are now or even could be this year and to act like if we just sub those two for ck and vernon we will not miss a beat,, is very illogical in my opinion
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
yes, it's VERY realistic. Except the fact that no one ever retires. I'm in year 6 of my franchise and Manning is now on the chargers and ray lewis is on the eagles.

If insulting others is your thing, the least you can do is learn to read better.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
One season is not a career, lets see what the kid can do, if Vernon misses preseason, he will get a chance to step up.

True. Anybody who is writing off McDonald after one year is making a mistake; a huge mistake most likely.

I hope that McDonald get the majority of TE snaps in preseason games.

In general, I do not want to see proven starters getting very many snaps in preseason games.

agree. Long way to go before labels of *bust* has to be applied.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by swayze:

not to pick on posters but swayze does have a point. When ethan compares ck to gabbert and rolls out some comparison between the two at a combine years ago that no one cares about... well he should not roll out the shock and awe when people start to flame him a bit. gabbert and vance are valuable for what they are. Gabbert has been pretty bad so far in his nfl career but has a final chance to revive it with good coaches and if he is good enough to take the back up job, more power to him. vance was not lights out as a rookie but we all trust and pray he will be much better this year giving us another tool in our tool kit. in my opinion that is were it should stop. neither one is at the level of the people in front of them and quite possibly never will be. To act like they are now or even could be this year and to act like if we just sub those two for ck and vernon we will not miss a beat,, is very illogical in my opinion

I pretty much agree. I'll just add that if the coaching staff didn't feel any of these guys have a chance (i.e. Josh, Cory, McBLT - for example) why the heck are they here? Roster space is expensive and valuable enough not to waste it.

Whether your player you are pulling for is a first round pick or a UDFA - they still have to produce on the field. That's one reason AJ Jenkins is no longer on the team. I'm still kind of peeved BJ Daniels is not on the team anymore - but Gabbert definitely is an upgrade over him. So the coaching staff and front office know what they are doing. Unlike the Donahue Erickson era.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I pretty much agree. I'll just add that if the coaching staff didn't feel any of these guys have a chance (i.e. Josh, Cory, McBLT - for example) why the heck are they here? Roster space is expensive and valuable enough not to waste it.

Whether your player you are pulling for is a first round pick or a UDFA - they still have to produce on the field. That's one reason AJ Jenkins is no longer on the team. I'm still kind of peeved BJ Daniels is not on the team anymore - but Gabbert definitely is an upgrade over him. So the coaching staff and front office know what they are doing. Unlike the Donahue Erickson era.

that was pretty bad when we as fans always had to fret about what the front office was doing in that era because we knew they had no plan for anything. thats pretty bad when we fans had to run around putting out fires created by that regime. at least now, with one or two exceptions like jenkins and that draft and the signing of clark f**king higgins huggins whoever the f**k he was two years ago when aldon and brooks both got hurt,,,, we can set back and enjoy the game knowing this regime has a plan, they follow it and it has brought us success now and into the future. most of us do not have to have the extra pressure on us of micromanaging every move that is being made nowadays
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
One season is not a career, lets see what the kid can do, if Vernon misses preseason, he will get a chance to step up.

True. Anybody who is writing off McDonald after one year is making a mistake; a huge mistake most likely.

I hope that McDonald get the majority of TE snaps in preseason games.

In general, I do not want to see proven starters getting very many snaps in preseason games.

I'd say McDonald had a pretty good rookie year. He's an excellent downfield blocker...

Obviously needs work on his hands, but nothing to suggest he's not 'pro-material'.

I'm a silver ling kind of guy, an optimist, I for one see a benefit IF Davis holds out, a chance to really see what we have in Big Mac!
Im very excited for our 2013 draft class. It could be a very special class. Big Mac will have a much better year this year.

Teams always carry QBs they don't think can make the team because there is a lot of throwing to be done and they don't want to wear out their top arms.

Vance has real potential to be great ... the only thing I didn't like about him in the draft was that he had a bad habit of not hanging on to the ball. After he came in he showed that he learned very quickly and showed the physical talents we were hoping for. I just hope he's been working on the Juggs machine like a maniac.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran

New poster alert - no QB takes more flack on this site than Kap.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

Just saying that is not realistic, which I obviously did read Reading books is one of my biggest hobbies, and actually makes my point. Isn't there better things to do with your time than video games? Different strokes I guess. I was not meaning to insult, just asking a question. Sounds like I might have hit a little close to home for you to jump in so defensively though.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Delanie Walker only had 2 catches his rookie season, so McDonald is well ahead of him at the same point of his career.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Delanie Walker only had 2 catches his rookie season, so McDonald is well ahead of him at the same point of his career.

wow, you make a living from comparing people based upon a small body of work. first off you compare ck to gabbert from the stupid combine,, and now here we go again. not exactly what your point is and if i would ask you to explain it, it would just make my head hurt
Share 49ersWebzone