There are 206 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Last week's game caused a lot of PBMs to rise from the dead, it seems. Only to be banned again.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

And there are people around here who still think he's a top flight QB. What a joke. Limited QBs do not win.

This was a great call by Fangio on 3rd down.

It's surprising how Smith didn't recognize this blitz when he's supposed to be really good at pre-snap reads. And from this gif it seems like he actually seen Nnamdi coming, why not make em pay for the blitz?!

This play is designed to go to the right for a 1st down to the TE against a LB. That's a mismatch. We have seen this play by the Niners, with Baldwin playing the position of Crabtree. Crabtree/Baldwin is usually open on this play but he's about the 4th option on a crossing route. The qb can go to him if the options on the right is all covered AND the qb has time in the pocket to come back to the left or middle.

There's a couple of thing that happened that made Smith double clutch the ball. First our CB instead of clearing out the area by following the WR, he stutter step like he's going to jump the route. He stayed where the KC tightend was going to be on his route to the outside at the 1st down yellow line. Our CB eventually followed the receiver but for Smith and the TE, the timing is off. Not sure why the KC tightend didn't get more separation from our #57. Maybe he slowed for that CB to cleared also.

I think Smith should have gone deep to the the WR on that side because our CB clearly stuttered step biting on the short route on the flat. If this was a real game, and our CB keeps biting on the short routes made by the Chiefs, it's a potential for a deep play for the Chiefs further into the game. Plus at 3rd & 7, the defense is geared towards defending the first down marker. Chiefs playing WCO

Would have been an INT if thrown to the WR due to S over the top. If Smith knows the backside slant is wide open after he moves the defense by looking at the TE (from film), then why not quickly go to the WR on the slant?

Why?

Because Smith sucks at moving defenses. This is one of his many post snap weaknesses.

It's a possible risk but high to the outside for only the receiver to get it with our CB a step behind, not a sure INT, but a very good probable connection. Again not designed to go there at the snap(Baldwin). He would trade off 3 possible targets to the right for a possible 1st down, for a slant that wasn't even run to the first down marker. Takes a lot hindsight there to want to go to Baldwin from the snap when you already know it wasn't working on the right.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM ]
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Last week's game caused a lot of PBMs to rise from the dead, it seems. Only to be banned again.

Hate finding out that I responded to someone no longer there!
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by hofer36:
steve young was good with niners, very bad with tampa----alex smith was bad with nolan, very good with harbaugh....my conclusion, coaching and having good players to work with makes a difference in how a qb performs...

Both of those players are textbook examples of the proposition that bad coaching and systems can make a player look worse than he is and good coaching and good systems can allow a player to live up to his potential.

Your statement is incomplete. Bad coaching and systems can make a player look worse than he is, but good coaching and good systems can make a player look better than he is. That is the case with Alex Smith. That was not the case with Steve Young. Although he played in a West Coast system, Young went through a myriad of offensive coordinators, olines, RBs (some that shouldnt have even been in the league), WRs, and he proved to be successful year in and year out.

Alex succeeded ONLY after he was given a talented coaching staff that tailored the playbook to his liking, and on top of that he had the best oline in the league, top 5 RBs in the league, and a decent WR/TE unit. Even with that, he was considered the weak link on an otherwise explosive offense (proven by Kaep).

Now he goes to KC and it seems like a lot of his old tendencies (holding the ball too long, not seeing open receivers, checkdowns on 3rd and longs) are rearing its head. Which leads me to believe that his supporters will start up the same old argument that it's not Alex but his surroundings that seem to be the problem.

Comparing him to Young on any level is just blasphemous IMO. Even the Chiefs fans had a chuckle on their board when some tried to bring up the Montana early years comparisons.

and how would you explain the fact that smith's play and number were on the upswing before harbaugh got there....marvin49 used to post smith's numbers from the Phildelphia game were the "fans" chanted for Carr...they showed that smith's game was on teh upswing before harbaugh...mike johnson actually wasnt a bad o-coordinator
I really think it's time to change this thread title to The Alex Smith thread.

I disagree, that might attract posters on niner talk who post he is no longer on the team so don't talk about him...oopps
too late
[ Edited by hofer36 on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM ]

I disagree, that might attract posters on niner talk who post he is no longer on the team so don't talk about him...oopps
too late

Alex will get benched midseason in 2014 and will re-sign with the 49ers in 2015 as Kap's backup, book it.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:56 AM ]

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Alex will get benched midseason in 2014 and will re-sign with the 49ers in 2015 as Kap's backup, book it.

Just like the predictions of Alex being only a backup since returning from the shoulder injury. Just like the predictions that he would never be in the top 10 of all QB passer ratings.. that JT O'Sullivan, Nate Davis, and Shaun Hill were better QBs... that he could never help get us to the playoffs... that he would get Harbaugh fired with his crap play... that he would never garner a decent draft pick in trade...

Oh, how many times must you detractors eat the heaping mounds of crow that Alex serves up for you every year?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Just like the predictions of Alex being only a backup since returning from the shoulder injury. Just like the predictions that he would never be in the top 10 of all QB passer ratings.. that JT O'Sullivan, Nate Davis, and Shaun Hill were better QBs... that he could never help get us to the playoffs... that he would get Harbaugh fired with his crap play... that he would never garner a decent draft pick in trade...

Oh, how many times must you detractors eat the heaping mounds of crow that Alex serves up for you every year?

Must be damn good crow!
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
steve young was good with niners, very bad with tampa----alex smith was bad with nolan, very good with harbaugh....my conclusion, coaching and having good players to work with makes a difference in how a qb performs...

Both of those players are textbook examples of the proposition that bad coaching and systems can make a player look worse than he is and good coaching and good systems can allow a player to live up to his potential.

Your statement is incomplete. Bad coaching and systems can make a player look worse than he is, but good coaching and good systems can make a player look better than he is. That is the case with Alex Smith. That was not the case with Steve Young. Although he played in a West Coast system, Young went through a myriad of offensive coordinators, olines, RBs (some that shouldnt have even been in the league), WRs, and he proved to be successful year in and year out.

Alex succeeded ONLY after he was given a talented coaching staff that tailored the playbook to his liking, and on top of that he had the best oline in the league, top 5 RBs in the league, and a decent WR/TE unit. Even with that, he was considered the weak link on an otherwise explosive offense (proven by Kaep).

Now he goes to KC and it seems like a lot of his old tendencies (holding the ball too long, not seeing open receivers, checkdowns on 3rd and longs) are rearing its head. Which leads me to believe that his supporters will start up the same old argument that it's not Alex but his surroundings that seem to be the problem.

Comparing him to Young on any level is just blasphemous IMO. Even the Chiefs fans had a chuckle on their board when some tried to bring up the Montana early years comparisons.

and how would you explain the fact that smith's play and number were on the upswing before harbaugh got there....marvin49 used to post smith's numbers from the Phildelphia game were the "fans" chanted for Carr...they showed that smith's game was on teh upswing before harbaugh...mike johnson actually wasnt a bad o-coordinator

He won't be able to explain it until he comes back yet again under another name.

Sorry to keep you waiting, caller.,..

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Not that i was predicting that, but lets take a look

He ended his 49er stint as a back up after the shoulder injury..took longer then expected since we really didnt have any QBs to begin with.

Passer rating..Couldn't even qualify for a record cause he doesn't throw enough passes

The QB carousel ..truly i don't think anyone really thought they were better..but what we had ...they wanted change.

He did help take us to the playoffs along with the #1 Defense and Special teams

Harbaugh had a back up plan with drafting a QB in his first year...if he didn't he just might be in the hot seat.

Sorry to pee in the cheerios. but after what all us just seen last friday..Alex is just mediocre
Chiefs better hope that Charles stays healthy all year
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Sorry to pee in the cheerios. but after what all us just seen last friday..Alex is just mediocre

You didn't pee in anything. Just more imaginative spin for the agenda.

... and you posting 122 times (2nd most) for a mediocre QB that you don't care about? Nah... that just wouldn't make sense, eh?

Alex is not an exciting quarterback.. I get that. But he has been a top 5-10 quarterback in passer rating efficiency... 3rd highest (I recall?) in win % for QBs in the last few years... and top 10 in many regards for all QBs in the last 30-40 games. He's not elite, but he's good... good is better than mediocre. A coach like Andy Reid doesn't trade two 2nd rounders for mediocrity. I'd expect nothing less than folks like you to have fully judged him after his 2nd preseason game on a new team and KC not having even game-planned or implemented their blitz pickup. It's perfect, actually. Myopic and self-serving, FTL.

Guess I will see you around in here... every day... talking more about this mediocre QB that you don't care about.. are glad to be rid of, yet still can't get out of your mind.

... but I know you can't accept that

You didn't pee in anything. Just more imaginative spin for the agenda.

... and you posting 122 times (2nd most) for a mediocre QB that you don't care about? Nah... that just wouldn't make sense, eh?

Alex is not an exciting quarterback.. I get that. But he has been a top 5-10 quarterback in passer rating efficiency... 3rd highest (I recall?) in win % for QBs in the last few years... and top 10 in many regards for all QBs in the last 30-40 games. He's not elite, but he's good... good is better than mediocre. A coach like Andy Reid doesn't trade two 2nd rounders for mediocrity. I'd expect nothing less than folks like you to have fully judged him after his 2nd preseason game on a new team and KC not having even game-planned or implemented their blitz pickup. It's perfect, actually. Myopic and self-serving, FTL.

Guess I will see you around in here... every day... talking more about this mediocre QB that you don't care about.. are glad to be rid of, yet still can't get out of your mind.

... but I know you can't accept that
Love is blind i get that...but don't let it get the best of you and start making excuses for him
Love is blind i get that...but don't let it get the best of you and start making excuses for him

Well, like I once said...

If you (meaning me) like a QB and he has struggles due to drops, OL fails, or preseason scheme omissions... then they are legit reasons that will be called excuses by those who don't like the QB (you and the obvious others).

If the coin is flipped, and YOU (yes you) like a QB, then what you would call excuses for the disliked QB magically become legit reasons for the liked QB.

You know this much is true, but I doubt you can even admit to that much. I'll be watching closely to see how this goes here for OUR quarterback.. and while I expect to hear "excuses"... I will now that for the most part, they actually are legit reasons... just for him though.. not for the other guy.
Share 49ersWebzone