LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Yeah, he screwed up on that play. Pretty sure we could nit-pick plays from every QB that can make them look silly though. This isn't Madden where we the QB can actually see the whole field on our TV screen. He never looked back to the left... ooops.

CB blitz is the perfect play vs Smith. This leaves man on the WRs with the all LBs to handle the TEs and backs for the check downs. Force Smith to throw to receivers in man coverage.
smith's #s vs blitz last 2 seasons have been very very good
Originally posted by hofer36:
steve young was good with niners, very bad with tampa----alex smith was bad with nolan, very good with harbaugh....my conclusion, coaching and having good players to work with makes a difference in how a qb performs...

Both of those players are textbook examples of the proposition that bad coaching and systems can make a player look worse than he is and good coaching and good systems can allow a player to live up to his potential.
Some cool comments from Alex's former teammates and HC (FWTW)...

49ers RB Frank Gore:
"It was strange. He did a pretty good job tonight. I am happy he's on a team that has great weapons. When they [the Chiefs] have a quarterback, they can do something. I am happy to see he is the man. Alex and I go back, we came [into the league] together. I just saw him go through so much. To see what he went through last year and now he's on what, I think, will be a good team. With the guys he has around him, I think he'll have a great year."
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/8/17/4630602/kc-chiefs-alex-smith-weird-49ers/in/4392323

if only the Niners "fans" could give smith the respect his former teammates do
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

49ers RB Frank Gore:
"It was strange. He did a pretty good job tonight. I am happy he's on a team that has great weapons. When they [the Chiefs] have a quarterback, they can do something. I am happy to see he is the man. Alex and I go back, we came [into the league] together. I just saw him go through so much. To see what he went through last year and now he's on what, I think, will be a good team. With the guys he has around him, I think he'll have a great year."
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/8/17/4630602/kc-chiefs-alex-smith-weird-49ers/in/4392323

lol we dont know him on a personal level like his teammates do. We strictly judge him for his production on the field.

49ers RB Frank Gore:

Not that Gore would...but no one bashes another player now days with everything that goes viral
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

49ers RB Frank Gore:

Not that Gore would...but no one bashes another player now days with everything that goes viral

agreed
Originally posted by susweel:

49ers RB Frank Gore:

lol we dont know him on a personal level like his teammates do. We strictly judge him for his production on the field.

+1
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Both of those players are textbook examples of the proposition that bad coaching and systems can make a player look worse than he is and good coaching and good systems can allow a player to live up to his potential.

or " . . . good systems make a player look better than he is"?

Keep up the tempo. You're out of rythmn with your statement.

49ers RB Frank Gore:

Poor Jeff Garcia, what did he do to not get the pity party that Alex Smith does? Dude had to take over for a legend who was "medically retired" during the season the 49er dynasty crumbled, then went on with the 49ers to put up a string of 3-4 seasons with numbers that Alex Smith could only dream of. But some people act like Smith leaving is Montana-to-KC all over again.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

And there are people around here who still think he's a top flight QB. What a joke. Limited QBs do not win.

This was a great call by Fangio on 3rd down.

It's surprising how Smith didn't recognize this blitz when he's supposed to be really good at pre-snap reads. And from this gif it seems like he actually seen Nnamdi coming, why not make em pay for the blitz?!

This play is designed to go to the right for a 1st down to the TE against a LB. That's a mismatch. We have seen this play by the Niners, with Baldwin playing the position of Crabtree. Crabtree/Baldwin is usually open on this play but he's about the 4th option on a crossing route. The qb can go to him if the options on the right is all covered AND the qb has time in the pocket to come back to the left or middle.

There's a couple of thing that happened that made Smith double clutch the ball. First our CB instead of clearing out the area by following the WR, he stutter step like he's going to jump the route. He stayed where the KC tightend was going to be on his route to the outside at the 1st down yellow line. Our CB eventually followed the receiver but for Smith and the TE, the timing is off. Not sure why the KC tightend didn't get more separation from our #57. Maybe he slowed for that CB to cleared also.

I think Smith should have gone deep to the the WR on that side because our CB clearly stuttered step biting on the short route on the flat. If this was a real game, and our CB keeps biting on the short routes made by the Chiefs, it's a potential for a deep play for the Chiefs further into the game. Plus at 3rd & 7, the defense is geared towards defending the first down marker. Chiefs playing WCO
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM ]

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

And there are people around here who still think he's a top flight QB. What a joke. Limited QBs do not win.

This was a great call by Fangio on 3rd down.

It's surprising how Smith didn't recognize this blitz when he's supposed to be really good at pre-snap reads. And from this gif it seems like he actually seen Nnamdi coming, why not make em pay for the blitz?!

This play is designed to go to the right for a 1st down to the TE against a LB. That's a mismatch. We have seen this play by the Niners, with Baldwin playing the position of Crabtree. Crabtree/Baldwin is usually open on this play but he's about the 4th option on a crossing route. The qb can go to him if the options on the right is all covered AND the qb has time in the pocket to come back to the left or middle.

There's a couple of thing that happened that made Smith double clutch the ball. First our CB instead of clearing out the area by following the WR, he stutter step like he's going to jump the route. He stayed where the KC tightend was going to be on his route to the outside at the 1st down yellow line. Our CB eventually followed the receiver but for Smith and the TE, the timing is off. Not sure why the KC tightend didn't get more separation from our #57. Maybe he slowed for that CB to cleared also.

I think Smith should have gone deep to the the WR on that side because our CB clearly stuttered step biting on the short route on the flat. If this was a real game, and our CB keeps biting on the short routes made by the Chiefs, it's a potential for a deep play for the Chiefs further into the game. Plus at 3rd & 7, the defense is geared towards defending the first down marker. Chiefs playing WCO

Would have been an INT if thrown to the WR due to S over the top. If Smith knows the backside slant is wide open after he moves the defense by looking at the TE (from film), then why not quickly go to the WR on the slant?

Why?

Because Smith sucks at moving defenses. This is one of his many post snap weaknesses.

49ers RB Frank Gore:

Not true! We can judge the person based on all that we have seen--character plus. To say we will only look at the stats seems to indicate context and other factors go out the window. But even so, his production last year and the year before could lead some to believe his doubters are blind...or fixated on the negative.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
steve young was good with niners, very bad with tampa----alex smith was bad with nolan, very good with harbaugh....my conclusion, coaching and having good players to work with makes a difference in how a qb performs...

Your statement is incomplete. Bad coaching and systems can make a player look worse than he is, but good coaching and good systems can make a player look better than he is. That is the case with Alex Smith. That was not the case with Steve Young. Although he played in a West Coast system, Young went through a myriad of offensive coordinators, olines, RBs (some that shouldnt have even been in the league), WRs, and he proved to be successful year in and year out.

Alex succeeded ONLY after he was given a talented coaching staff that tailored the playbook to his liking, and on top of that he had the best oline in the league, top 5 RBs in the league, and a decent WR/TE unit. Even with that, he was considered the weak link on an otherwise explosive offense (proven by Kaep).

Now he goes to KC and it seems like a lot of his old tendencies (holding the ball too long, not seeing open receivers, checkdowns on 3rd and longs) are rearing its head. Which leads me to believe that his supporters will start up the same old argument that it's not Alex but his surroundings that seem to be the problem.

Comparing him to Young on any level is just blasphemous IMO. Even the Chiefs fans had a chuckle on their board when some tried to bring up the Montana early years comparisons.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Poor Jeff Garcia, what did he do to not get the pity party that Alex Smith does? Dude had to take over for a legend who was "medically retired" during the season the 49er dynasty crumbled, then went on with the 49ers to put up a string of 3-4 seasons with numbers that Alex Smith could only dream of. But some people act like Smith leaving is Montana-to-KC all over again.
+1
Originally posted by HudsonValley:

Alex succeeded ONLY after he was given a talented coaching staff that tailored the playbook to his liking, and on top of that he had the best oline in the league, top 5 RBs in the league, and a decent WR/TE unit. Even with that, he was considered the weak link on an otherwise explosive offense (proven by Kaep).
comparisons.

Not true, but it seems to be a mantra of sorts for some. Smith came out of a spread type offense in college, where he excelled. Harbaugh's propensity to jumbo everything is about the opposite. So you could say that Smith excelled in two very different systems as long as his coaches weren't neanderthals. And without very good WRs. Unless you consider Williams and a guy off the street to be great 2nd receivers. In Smith's entire tenure his best WR was Crabtree and he was injured his first two TCs,

And when you compare the stats last year, Smith led the league in QBR until injured, and CK proved to be a more dynamic QB...can't say anything bad about either.
Share 49ersWebzone