LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Originally posted by fister30:
Alex talking smack about doubters. 8 years of failure would qualify as a realist more so than a doubter.

Gotta blame someone for arguably the worst ball club in the NFL... But it can't be the owners, the coaches, or any of the other players... just the QB.

Anyhow, he looked pretty good on that drive, saw some of that mobility, some pretty good throws...

What a lot of people who think he's a dink and dunk QB won't tell you is that the majority of those passing plays had MAYBE one deep route, all the rest were short to intermediate... No reason to throw 30 yards downfield, risking an INT when you can pick up 5, 6, 10...
As ive said for a few years now. our HOF QB greats, Rice and a few others said at the end of the day, who cares about stats, just as long as u put W's on the board. For example, they asked Jerry Rice about C. Johnson beating all his records, and his answer was funny as hell. He said, *yeah, well u know records are meant to be broken, but the difference between he and I, is that when i was putting up those big numbers, i was helping my team win championships.*. So basically if smith throws 150- 200yards a game, and helps lead his team to victory at the end of the day, then thats all u can ask for.

With the same type offense, he helped us get to 13-3. I'll take that record, any year.

I mean even with Kaep. If he only gives us a few Td's a game, and doesnt throw on avg for 300yds or more, but helps get us that W. absolutely no complaints here. a Win is a win, no matter by 1pt or 21pts, if he throws for a total of 200 yds or 400yds. Just my two cents.

Agreed. "Stats are for losers" and all that matters is the W
Yeah, I read reports on places like ArrowHeadPride that mentioned Alex looking deep but not liking what he saw.. so he took the high % passes. Why chuck the ball up if the D is playing off to prevent big plays? Why wouldn't you take what the D gives you?

But the defense. Ugh, the freakin' first team defense. It felt soft, just like last years version, after the Chiefs drove 80 yards down field for a touchdown in the opening stanza on their way to a 10 point lead. I was instantly transported back to 2012. Sure, the defense didn't give up any big plays on that drive, instead giving up a lot of the underneath stuff. As it turns out, however, a crapload of successful small plays still add up to a crapload of yardage. Who knew?
http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/8/10/4608050/saints-chiefs-preseason-final-recap-observations

This infatuation with 30-50 yard chunk plays and fantasy football numbers doesn't hit home with me. I prefer a methodical 14 play, 80+ yard drive that drains 5 or 6 minutes off the clock.... especially in preseason games where you basically just want to stay healthy and keep things simple.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
This infatuation with 30-50 yard chunk plays and fantasy football numbers doesn't hit home with me. I prefer a methodical 14 play, 80+ yard drive that drains 5 or 6 minutes off the clock.... especially in preseason games where you basically just want to stay healthy and keep things simple.

So agree with this...and realize it's a preference, so not downing anyone who likes chunks, but loved the niners under Walsh. The long ball is high risk-high reward, the short game (if done with precision) can cut a defense apart and demoralize a team over two or three quarters, making the fourth quarter a dominant one for the WCO. The 80's niners could run all day in the fourth quarter because the defense was just worn out against them and spread out to cover the entire field...a necessity.

The only thing I do not like about the Harbaugh offense is that it tends to bunch up in the middle of the field and now the Pistol seems to be doing even more so. I have always preferred a spread so that the defense would have to be honest. The virtue of the pistol is that the team can still motion anywhere quickly forcing the defense to move with them. I really do not like the jumbo set...just hasn't been effective! Perhaps it was a compensation for the OLine being unsettled?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Yeah, I read reports on places like ArrowHeadPride that mentioned Alex looking deep but not liking what he saw.. so he took the high % passes. Why chuck the ball up if the D is playing off to prevent big plays? Why wouldn't you take what the D gives you?

But the defense. Ugh, the freakin' first team defense. It felt soft, just like last years version, after the Chiefs drove 80 yards down field for a touchdown in the opening stanza on their way to a 10 point lead. I was instantly transported back to 2012. Sure, the defense didn't give up any big plays on that drive, instead giving up a lot of the underneath stuff. As it turns out, however, a crapload of successful small plays still add up to a crapload of yardage. Who knew?
http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/8/10/4608050/saints-chiefs-preseason-final-recap-observations

as long as it gets you a touchdown on your opening drive, does it matter how long the passes are? i am pretty sure chiefs fans did the jaw drop thing with the way alex started the game, in thinking about what they had last year, good for him and good for them
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
He did not make one attempt to a WR beyond 5 yards. Hard to miss those. Hahaha what a homer. I don't care about fantasy football and yes he was 7/8 but the throws were easy to complete. Watch the game don't only rely on stats.

he got a touchdown, does it really matter how it was done? styling and profiling does not lead to points and wins
Montana making 14 plays 80 yds drives, they would call it 'picking apart the defense' -- a surgeon.

For Smith, it's 'captain check down'.

That was a pure WCO drive like back in the 80's that Smith and the Chiefs put out. Chiefs fans should be happy. Lets see if the Chiefs can continue to build.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Montana making 14 plays 80 yds drives, they would call it 'picking apart the defense' -- a surgeon.

That was a pure WCO drive like back in the 80's that Smith and the Chiefs put out. Chiefs fans should be happy. Lets see if the Chiefs can continue to build.

i am sure they want to get their good wide out involved(forgot the name) but at the same time, after last year, i think the chiefs are thrilled to actually move the ball, go down the field and score! alex has no shadow and some pretty laid back forgiving fans here in the midwest. he is a good face for that franchise after what they went through last year
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

the double standards when it comes to alex and the webzone are webzone folklore actually began when we shipped rat to tampa. some fans put alot of pressure on alex wanting him to be great right away and when some of us said he needed more time, we got ripped for it. so rat goes to tampa , struggles, and the alex haters said we need to give rat more time with a new team and scheme classic
Comparing Smith to Montana. Only here. Lulz. People can't tell the difference between a qb who is afraid to throe past his check downs and a qb who could make any throw, stretch the field and have the balls to make plays when it mattered. Smith's performance in that playoff game against the giants was pathetic. The stat hounds would say he was good but anyone with a brain knows his timidness is why we lost. How this guys name is mentioned in the same breath as Montana makes me gag.
Originally posted by cciowa:
as long as it gets you a touchdown on your opening drive, does it matter how long the passes are? i am pretty sure chiefs fans did the jaw drop thing with the way alex started the game, in thinking about what they had last year, good for him and good for them

A key to the WCO, one of many, was to wear the opposing defense down with long drives. It also kept the 9er defense fresher for the second half. This was not just an after thought for Walsh but part of his football philosophy. Imagine if the 9ers complete 60% of their passes downfield, and score, or not score, in three long plays each drive. The offense would be on the field much less than the defense, necessitating more subbing on D and giving the opponent more opportunities. Since there is only one Justin Smith it would be a risky proposition to sub for him more often.

It is also easier to complete short passes with high precision, helping the running game by forcing the LBs to cover from side to side. Compare this approach to the jumbo package and I wince!

I'm also dumbfounded by this myth that Alex gave us long drives. We had so many stalled drives due to him checking it down well short of the chains on 3rd down. When our D had issues the Alex led offense sputtered. This isn't going to work when you're losing. If your D is solid Smith will succeed. If your D is getting pounded Smith will fail. Hope Kc can get their D together. They need to carry their qb.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Aug 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM ]
What's funny is you guys needed a 5 yard "check down" to win the Superbowl!
[ Edited by kcfan11 on Aug 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM ]
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Comparing Smith to Montana. Only here. Lulz. People can't tell the difference between a qb who is afraid to throe past his check downs and a qb who could make any throw, stretch the field and have the balls to make plays when it mattered. Smith's performance in that playoff game against the giants was pathetic. The stat hounds would say he was good but anyone with a brain knows his timidness is why we lost. How this guys name is mentioned in the same breath as Montana makes me gag.

Montana was never known as the guy who could make any throw. His arm was always average at best. You must be thinking about Marino, Esiason or Elway??? A lot of people refused to call Montana the best because "anyone could look good in that kind of offense that doesn't thrown down field". Sound familiar?

People build Montana into something he's not. Was he great? Sure...but he had his weaknesses. Brady reminds me a lot of Montana to be honest. Not a great arm...but accurate and smart.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:

Well, he was a starting quarterback for the 49ers so that gives him the right to be mentioned on the same breath as Joe Montana and Steve Young. So gag.

The mods here spent ages trying to keep things pleasant in here whilst posters tried to see how close to the limit they could push it in Alex Smith threads. Consequently, countless threads got locked and more posters got banned and warned.

As it seems to still bother you and some other posters, I suggest that you just stay out of this thread. I have no idea why you still feel the need to moan and b***h about a player who doesn't even play for us anymore. But you do. Pointless.

So, this thread is about the Chiefs and their likely record this year. 49ers supporters should be cheering for them on account of the draft pick. I suggest you all keep it on topic and cease trying to wind up other posters
[ Edited by English on Aug 11, 2013 at 10:45 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kcfan11:
What's funny is you guys needed a 5 yard "check down" to win the Superbowl!

we should have ran the god damn ball in. ed podolak would have scored i like to go old school when fans of the opposing team show up! I may be wrong but i bet most of you chiefs fans are just thrilled with what alex has shown you so far, esp when you compare it to last years fiasco
Share 49ersWebzone