Originally posted by kcfan11:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by kcfan11:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
he just might..or

just end up like the past SF QBs traded to KC

Joe Montana says hi.

Yeah, I'll take two straight Playoff appearances any day! We're excited out here, this team is in many ways like yours before you got Harb. I believe Reid is in the same mold and knows what he's doing. I read somewhere that he liked Smith and wanted him before they both came to KC. This year is sorta like a year for both Reid and Smith to prove that they belong in the NFL. It has the makings to be something special, I haven't been this excited in years to watch football! Talented team with talented coaching staff. Sound familiar? It's definitely easy to be positive when you look at all these things.

BTW Alex is one of the best when it comes to winning percentage. He's in the top 3 the last 2 years. He might even be number 1 over-all if you combine the stats from those 2 years in winning percentage.

Lol..Winning percentage ?

That's a team stat

Here's an career average to get excited about..... 1.2 TDs a game...and the last two years raised that average

On this link it's a player stat.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/quarterback-winning-percentage

I'll take what he's done the last 2 years over all his other years with horrible coaching and lack of WR talent. He not only has a great head coach but also has the talent at WR that you guys lacked. Now that's exciting!

That is a break down from a team ranking...our kicker was scoring more points a game then alex averaged tds in 2011

Like I said..he will win your heart, then break it next...then repeat

I know your stance, and I don't wish to dispute it, but I don't think this statement as particularly damning.
One field goal = 3 points, so a QB must score 3 TDs to keep up? And for each TD, the kicker should score 1 more point.

I do agree with what I believe to be your point: that the team relied on Akers too much in 2011 to score field goals.

It will be interesting to see Smith's development with KC. Will he pick up his play where he left off before the concussion?
If he does, KC will be damn happy.

i meant by scoring was that Akers was averaging around 8.2 pts a game, where Alex was averaging 6 pts a game

Alex will be Alex..it all depends if the Chiefs Defense and special teams can play at a higher level.

if they do, then they will be good.

and during this time were the niners winning or losing games? was there qb making plays in the clutch?

to me, wins and clutch plays mean more than points scored

yes Akers was clutch...possibly could have gone undefeated last year if Akers played like he did in 2011
Originally posted by hofer36:
and during this time were the niners winning or losing games? was there qb making plays in the clutch?

to me, wins and clutch plays mean more than points scored

Plus.. think about it.. Alex was the # 1 or # 2 quarterback in 2010 in the RZ.

Think he just forgot how to RZ it?

Or is it more plausible that our 2011 RZ playcalling was as conservative as anything we have ever seen? It was clear that Jim and Co. were content with taking a sure 3 point gain versus trying something aggressive that could take those points away. Roman was designing and installing the offense on the fly... and they were gonna lean on an already good defense and great STs. Alex had a better RZ % than Kaepernick last season.. does that mean everything? Nope.

Hate to say it, but I am now very much in favor of this thread being shut down for good. It is clear that some folks just can't get beyond their disdain and let the guy go without chirping up the same myths and fallacies. Just make his name unspeakable here. Clear out the toxicity and make a better WZ.
I think it's true that when Harbaugh came to the Niners in 2011, he wanted Smith to play very conservatively, both for sake of Smith AND the team. It was a new offense for everyone. I don't think it's true last year especially towards the middle of the season. I think Harbaugh wanted more out of the offense by then. Whether Smith could provide that with a change of play, Smith has the personality that had to be indicated from his coach. He's not going to go out and take up on himself to do more and take risk in the passing game without the coach's blessing. For Harbaugh the change came conveniently in the form of Kaep.

Kaep is dynamic. Young, talented and eager. So when he keep looking to go deep it was OK with Harbaugh for a few games. You can see as Kaep played further into the season, he went deep less and less. More intermediate completions and short outlet throws or just run it all together. That was Harbaugh reeling in young Kaep.

I can see the Chiefs of 2013 very much like the Niners of 2011 because of a new offense and coach with a new team. But as they go deep into the season, things will open up more and more.

BTW, you think Reid still remember Smith 'managing' his way from 21-3(?) come back against his Eagles in 2011. The game that jumpstarted the 13-3 season.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Or is it more plausible that our 2011 RZ playcalling was as conservative as anything we have ever seen? It was clear that Jim and Co. were content with taking a sure 3 point gain versus trying something aggressive that could take those points away. Roman was designing and installing the offense on the fly... and they were gonna lean on an already good defense and great STs. Alex had a better RZ % than Kaepernick last season.. does that mean everything? Nope.

Hate to say it, but I am now very much in favor of this thread being shut down for good. It is clear that some folks just can't get beyond their disdain and let the guy go without chirping up the same myths and fallacies. Just make his name unspeakable here. Clear out the toxicity and make a better WZ.

The name Alex Smith has toxicity in this forum. I don't see it ever going away. People are very polarized on the topic.
1. Very few if any despise Alex Smith. The debate starts when he is over-rated as a near elite or top 10 QB.
2. Nearly every evaluation about Alex from folks on this board is that he would be even better if he trusted his receivers and the trust with Vernon is repeatedly used as a prime example that he can trust a receiver if that receiver is good. Now think about it, which QB in the NFL wouldn't trust a TE who is one of THE best TE's in the league? It is not hard to trust that type of elite talent. However, the bigger question is, can Alex trust a non-elite talented target. The answer has been no. So, one can only conclude that a player needs to be elite in order for Alex to play well with that player. To keep saying that he needs that trust in order to play well is playing terrible odds and directly shows the grasping at his own ability.
3. Consistency has also been brought up about Alex's strength. His career and game to game production is FAR from consistent. The 2012 playoffs is Alex Smith in a nutshell. He could have a league best game one week but will stink it up the next.
Alex Smith IS the best QB the NFL as long as you don't count those other 15 or so QBs in the league that are better.
Originally posted by Joecool:
1. Very few if any despise Alex Smith. The debate starts when he is over-rated as a near elite or top 10 QB.
2. Nearly every evaluation about Alex from folks on this board is that he would be even better if he trusted his receivers and the trust with Vernon is repeatedly used as a prime example that he can trust a receiver if that receiver is good. Now think about it, which QB in the NFL wouldn't trust a TE who is one of THE best TE's in the league? It is not hard to trust that type of elite talent. However, the bigger question is, can Alex trust a non-elite talented target. The answer has been no. So, one can only conclude that a player needs to be elite in order for Alex to play well with that player. To keep saying that he needs that trust in order to play well is playing terrible odds and directly shows the grasping at his own ability.
3. Consistency has also been brought up about Alex's strength. His career and game to game production is FAR from consistent. The 2012 playoffs is Alex Smith in a nutshell. He could have a league best game one week but will stink it up the next.

nailed it!
Now think about it, which QB in the NFL wouldn't trust a TE who is one of THE best TE's in the league? It is not hard to trust that type of elite talent. However, the bigger question is, can Alex trust a non-elite talented target.

That's a question already answered... and the answer is yes. Alex trusted Arnaz Battle just fine. Trusted Joshua Morgan.. just fine. He will trust non-elite talent, if they deserve trust. Alex kept dumping it to Gore.. even though Gore's awareness and hands when leaking out of the backfield were declining. You are really creating a lot of false narratives... and the strange thing is? You don't need to. He's not SF's quarterback anymore. You were wrong. Alex is a much better QB than you ever gave him credit for. The only purpose for your continued attempts here is because he embarrassed you time and again. It is time to get over that now.

I gave you clear examples several pages ago that this inconsistency issue smacks even universally perceived good QBs around.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/172682-how-many-games-chiefs-win-pymwymi/page34/

It is just another feeble and desperate attempt to minimize Alex. Sad.
Now think about it, which QB in the NFL wouldn't trust a TE who is one of THE best TE's in the league? It is not hard to trust that type of elite talent. However, the bigger question is, can Alex trust a non-elite talented target.

That's a question already answered... and the answer is yes. Alex trusted Arnaz Battle just fine. Trusted Joshua Morgan.. just fine. He will trust non-elite talent, if they deserve trust. Alex kept dumping it to Gore.. even though Gore's awareness and hands when leaking out of the backfield were declining. You are really creating a lot of false narratives... and the strange thing is? You don't need to. He's not SF's quarterback anymore. You were wrong. Alex is a much better QB than you ever gave him credit for. The only purpose for your continued attempts here is because he embarrassed you time and again. It is time to get over that now.

I gave you clear examples several pages ago that this inconsistency issue smacks even universally perceived good QBs around.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/172682-how-many-games-chiefs-win-pymwymi/page34/

I love it how you equate averages to consistency. Average is an ideal stat to hide consistency.

I love it how you equate averages to consistency. Average is an ideal stat to hide consistency.

Passer rating is still the best indicator that I know of. What is your best indicator? Your very own expertly-biased eye-test?

Bottom line is all quarterbacks and players have fluctuating performances from game to game. You are truly reaching by throwing out this vague and generic inconsistency angle. Why not just be happy he is gone from SF and get on with your life?
Eleven wins. Alex has another good tutor in Reid. Plus he gets to play both the Raiders and Chargers twice. that's four automatic wins right there.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Eleven wins. Alex has another good tutor in Reid. Plus he gets to play both the Raiders and Chargers twice. that's four automatic wins right there.

Haha.

I think they get at least on one Peyton and his boys. What I would do for a sweep of Denver.

Stats prior to Harbaugh era are rather meaningless. Whether they are good or bad stats. We played in a lot of meaningless games and got blown out a lot. We had a lot of garbage time stats.

Passer rating is still the best indicator that I know of. What is your best indicator? Your very own expertly-biased eye-test?

Bottom line is all quarterbacks and players have fluctuating performances from game to game. You are truly reaching by throwing out this vague and generic inconsistency angle. Why not just be happy he is gone from SF and get on with your life?

Yes it is and Alex's game to game passer rating is inconsistent.
Share 49ersWebzone