LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 306 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

A very long and worthwhile article here... fairly critical, yet also complimentary of Smith.. and this part is exactly what I came to understand.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/7/31/4561592/alex-smith-preview-for-2013-is-he-ready-for-the-challenge-all-22-film

Harbaugh came in and taught Alex to play safe football. This is well-documented. Alex was told that sacks are better than INTs, and a dump off on 3rd and 8 that picks up 5 yards is better than "forcing" something for a potential first down. This is the SAME WAY Harbaugh played football back in his days as a QB. Harbaugh knows it can work, and can win games, but he also knows it has its limits. In my opinion, this is precisely why Alex was so confused over the QB take-over. Because Kaepernick was going out there and taking risks and just playing football. The 49ers have a good enough TEAM that they can afford a QB to do that. It wasn't like the 2011 squad, where Alex's safe play was, really, the only way to win a game. Alex said, "I feel like the only thing I did to lose my job was get a concussion." In other words, Harbaugh never came up to Alex, at any point, and said, "Hey, we like the safe play... but we REALLY need you to take more deep shots." The truth is that... the SF offense was never really Alex's offense. Even when Harbaugh told him it was, that was likely a lie. The truth is that Harbaugh has been building this offense with Kaep in mind from the start; and he has been waiting, itching, CRAVING the day to put HIS GUY in. The Smith Era was ALWAYS MEANT to end, regardless of what Harbaugh might have said to Smith. Reid knows this -- which is why he keeps reiterating that he is going to let Alex "open things up" and "pull the trigger." Reid believes in Alex, I think; even more than Harbaugh did. Harbaugh simultaneously nurtured Alex in to a winning player while also holding him back. It's an odd paradox.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yeah, I really want to see Alex Smith succeed in KC because I like him a lot, but let's not get carried away. The idea that Reid can get more out of a QB than Jim Harbaugh is laughable. Harbaugh is a certified witch when it comes to QB's. Reid has mixed results.

Historically, Reid has been great with quarterbacks and a very good coach.

My concern is that in last two years in Philadelphia Reid's teams seem to implode; i.e. maybe he is longer that historical Reid.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
An 8 win season for the Chiefs gives the 49ers what in terms of a draft pick exactly??

The Chiefs 2nd round draft pick goes to the Niners if they win 8 or more games with Smith at QB.

Does it require Smith to be at QB, or will the Chiefs just winning 8 do the trick. Does anyone know for sure?

They have to win the games IN SPITE of the QB... in the contract, that is called the "Niner Talk Clause."
KC fan here! I would like to say that this team is looking a lot better with this new coaching staff. Camp has been uptempo and the culture has definitely changed. Players are constantly talking about how much better the practices are and how it's a lot smarter. That speaks volumes, when players say these things. Coach Reid has also been very positive about what he has seen.

Reid talking about the 1st team offense, "Very little balls hit the ground.".

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Andy_Reid_Describes_Day_One_of_Chiefs_Camp/71397426-3d8d-4bc7-a4b4-9ad402526df0

I look forward to seeing what this Chiefs team can do! Exciting times to be a fan. Just like how you guys must've felt when you got Harb.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kcfan11:
KC fan here! I would like to say that this team is looking a lot better with this new coaching staff. Camp has been uptempo and the culture has definitely changed. Players are constantly talking about how much better the practices are and how it's a lot smarter. That speaks volumes, when players say these things. Coach Reid has also been very positive about what he has seen.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Andy_Reid_Describes_Day_One_of_Chiefs_Camp/71397426-3d8d-4bc7-a4b4-9ad402526df0

I look forward to seeing what this Chiefs team can do! Exciting times to be a fan. Just like how you guys must've felt when you got Harb.
Y'all use smaller footballs in KC?

What were your initial thoughts when you traded for Alex?
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Jul 31, 2013 at 10:04 AM ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Initially I didn't know too much about him, the only full games I watched of him was when he played us a few years back and the playoff games against the Saints and Giants. That Saints game was probably the best non KC game I've ever seen, very exciting and that 4th quarter was unbelievable! So based off of that I was intrigued because he's coming to an offense that has a real threat on the outside in Bowe, something you guys lacked, we are also very talented at TE, and our HBs are amazing. Dexter McCluster is a dual threat and I really liked that we picked up Donnie Avery, he's a guy that I had my eyes on when the Rams had him. With all that said, it seems like we have the pieces to do pretty well and could turn out to be something special. We're excited, it feels good to see and hear that things are changing. Can't wait!
[ Edited by kcfan11 on Jul 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Initially I didn't know too much about him, the only full games I watched of him was when he played us a few years back and the playoff games against the Saints and Giants. That Saints game was probably the best non KC game I've ever seen, very exciting and that 4th quarter was unbelievable! So based off of that I was intrigued because he's coming to an offense that has a real threat on the outside in Bowe, something you guys lacked, we are also very talented at TE, and our HBs are amazing. Dexter McCluster is a dual threat and I really liked that we picked up Donnie Avery, he's a guy that I had my eyes on when the Rams had him. With all that said, it seems like we have the pieces to do pretty well and could turn out to be something special. We're excited, it feels good to see and hear that things are changing. Can't wait!
AS is going to win your heart and break it.. all season long..hopefully it doesn't last 8 seasons long
Okay, I like Alex...but...

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/31/4377865/chiefs-qb-coach-says-alex-smith.html#
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jakemall:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/31/4377865/chiefs-qb-coach-says-alex-smith.html#

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
AS is going to win your heart and break it.. all season long..hopefully it doesn't last 8 seasons long

I hope not! I hope he breaks your heart and does great things in KC for the next 8 seasons.

I hope not! I hope he breaks your heart and does great things in KC for the next 8 seasons.

he just might..or

just end up like the past SF QBs traded to KC
Originally posted by susweel:

"Ultimately, every team has to have a quarterback," Pederson said. "I think we have the best in the league."

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by susweel:

"Ultimately, every team has to have a quarterback," Pederson said. "I think we have the best in the league."

he just might..or

just end up like the past SF QBs traded to KC

Joe Montana says hi.
Share 49ersWebzone