LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Smith threw 5 TD passes in the effort, a new career high. Of those five, four of them went to all-world tailback Jamaal Charles. Of those four, two of those came on screens that were absolutely, positively textbook. A few hours later, an Associated Press reporter tweeted this:

Alex Smith's 5 TD passes traveled a combined 13 yards downfield
( which can't be true, due to the very gif I posted last night )

And the haters laughed again.

According to Pro-Football-Reference.com, in Chiefs franchise history, only two other men have ever registered a 158.0 rating or higher in a single game before Smith on Sunday: Len Dawson, twice (158.3 vs. Denver, Sept. 7, 1963, and 158.0 vs. Houston, Nov. 28, 1965), and Trent Green once (158.3 vs. Detroit, Dec. 14, 2003).

That's it. Yes, among the myriad of goofy official NFL statistics, the passer rating is among the goofiest. Like ERA or batting average in baseball, it's been supplanted, over the generations, by better metrics. Not all "perfect" games are created equal, even though the Chiefs have now only seen three of them over the past 50-odd seasons. But to somehow throw that back in the face of Alex Smith isn't clever. It's spiteful. The perception is that Smith is a dink-and-dunk artist. The reality is that people focus too much on the "dink-and-dunk" part of the equation and not enough on the "artist" part. The truth, as it often is, is more complicated than that. In his past 39 starts, the teams he's quarterbacked have gone 30-8-1. When he needed to get out of the way, he got the hell out of the way. When he needed to be good, he was good. When he needed to be perfect, he was perfect.

Without Alex Smith, there is no January football for the Chiefs. Period.

Tweet that.

http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/story/Chiefs-Alex-Smith-doesnt-have-to-apologi?blockID=973187#.Uq5y3NTvY5M.twitter
  • Jiks
Taking a 2-14 team to a 11-3 and a playoff birth. I've asked this before but does Alex get "consideration" as MVP? I don't think he should win it by any means, Jamaal should be ahead of Alex but do feel he should be in the conversation at least.

Also, what about Pro Bowl? Manning, Brady, Alex?

Again not saying he should, but I don't see how he doesn't get consideration.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Taking a 2-14 team to a 11-3 and a playoff birth. I've asked this before but does Alex get "consideration" as MVP? I don't think he should win it by any means, Jamaal should be ahead of Alex but do feel he should be in the conversation at least.

Should get Probowl consideration. He's playing very good qb football. Been playing very good since 2011. The only difference is that his numbers this year actually coincided with those very good decisions on the field. Not a game manager anymore. Becoming an orchestrator. Hopefully the guys in the league will finally see that and put him in the Probowl, even if the 1/3 fan vote will not.
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AUniner:
Our coaches/players should watch this game over the off season

1. We play both these teams next year.
2. Learn how to run a screen play.

Our OL is too big and slow to get out in front of screens. It would be nice if they could but that is just not the way they are built. The 49ers are the worst screen team in the league. I believe I read yesterday they have thrown only 3 screen passes all year and only one gained positive yardage.

Bill Walsh is weeping in his grave.

Vince Lombardi is right there with him!

Depending on what happens from here:

Smith for comeback player of the year!

Charles for MVP?
Thanks for that article Mac! Very well stated!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Thanks for that article Mac! Very well stated!

no problem...

Alex now ranked top 10 in rating... good for him. It's cool seeing the offense taking steps in improvement, and the OL changes seem to be a part of that.

3,160 pass yds -- 60.8% -- 23 TDs -- 6 INTs -- 91 rating

This team can be very dangerous if they can get better receiver play and their star rush LB back healthy. With consistency on the OL and an upgrade at WR/TE/FS, this team will be playoff contenders next year as well.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
lol @ 49AllTheTime. dude still can't find a way to give Alex props. "missed some throws"??? just admit it...you didn't watch the game?
Lamicheal James in the screen game doe.

Woke up and noticed that Jamal Charles got me 50 pts.
[ Edited by TonyStarks on Dec 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM ]
Originally posted by boast:
lol @ 49AllTheTime. dude still can't find a way to give Alex props. "missed some throws"??? just admit it...you didn't watch the game?

Lol.

With the Chefs in the playoffs, and since there is no way the Chefs will make the SB, those rooting for losses are hoping for a max of 10 slots difference in draft position. Realistically, it's closer to half that.
  • dj43

He absolutely should.

Manning is having a crazy year but I would argue he is doing it with the best set of receivers in football. After all, Tim Tebow took Denver into the second round of the playoffs with Decker and D. Thomas catching and running with the ball. Manning added Welker. With that cast he SHOULD be putting up numbers. …and he is Peyton.

Brady is a more important player to his team than Manning, IMO. He is throwing to a bunch of scrubs. He should get more props that Peyton.

Which brings us to Smith. Only Brady, IMO, has been as important to their team. An earlier post referred to Alex as an artist. I like that. The setup and throws for those screen passes yesterday was artistry. It was on a par with Brees whose NO team is the best in the league. Smith works his artistry not only in the passing game but in setting up the run game as well. So while that falls under the category of "management" to some, that is the job of the QB and no QB in the league has had a greater impact on their team than has Alex.

• dj43
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Lol.

With the Chefs in the playoffs, and since there is no way the Chefs will make the SB, those rooting for losses are hoping for a max of 10 slots difference in draft position. Realistically, it's closer to half that.

You are likely pretty close, however, if Justin Houston can come back fully healthy and that defense starts pressuring passers like it did for the first 8 games, this team could surprise. Eric Fisher is beginning to play like a top pick instead of an after thought and when Brandon Albert comes back the OL will be pretty good. The ST play has been strong all year with Demps and McCluster doing the returns. Lots to like there.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by dj43:
He absolutely should.

Manning is having a crazy year but I would argue he is doing it with the best set of receivers in football. After all, Tim Tebow took Denver into the second round of the playoffs with Decker and D. Thomas catching and running with the ball. Manning added Welker. With that cast he SHOULD be putting up numbers. …and he is Peyton.

Brady is a more important player to his team than Manning, IMO. He is throwing to a bunch of scrubs. He should get more props that Peyton.

Which brings us to Smith. Only Brady, IMO, has been as important to their team. An earlier post referred to Alex as an artist. I like that. The setup and throws for those screen passes yesterday was artistry. It was on a par with Brees whose NO team is the best in the league. Smith works his artistry not only in the passing game but in setting up the run game as well. So while that falls under the category of "management" to some, that is the job of the QB and no QB in the league has had a greater impact on their team than has Alex.

Good post and I agree. Thing I've noticed with Alex over the last year/year and a half is his foot work. It's almost flawless.
I saw Smith's stat with 5 TDs yesterday and I was like ..."hmmmm...wait a minute..."

Then watched the highlights, they were all screen passes, lol.

Happy for Smith. Glad he has players than can YAC it up for him!
Singletary was so dumb, I would love someone to interview him about Alex now.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I saw Smith's stat with 5 TDs yesterday and I was like ..."hmmmm...wait a minute..."

Then watched the highlights, they were all screen passes, lol.

Happy for Smith. Glad he has players than can YAC it up for him!

O RLY?

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

AND this.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Smith doesn't put the ball where receivers can get yac = hate.

Smith's receivers get yac = hate.

Classic.

Share 49ersWebzone