There are 207 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

LOL...Stephen Jackson giving Alex Smith some appreciation today on First Take! Blasting the receivers. Of course, Skip had to jump on the Peyton-wagon...
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by hofer36:

Alex Smith isn't the problem here, kids. He never was.

But drops matter. Ball security matters. Concentration matters. Being able to keep pace in a shootout -- it's taken 31 points in a game, on average, to beat a Peyton Manning team since 2008 -- matters. [email protected].

Good read. Certainly accurate for many points in these KC games. Yesterday was really the defense and receiver drops. Prior to that, much went to an OL that couldn't block. They seem to have improved that, now that Stephenson and Schwartz are getting snaps... and that they are opening up the offense.

I still don't have a big problem with Bowe... aside from his inappropriate contract taking away from what KC can do in the offseason. He can be lazy and drop balls at times... but he is overall a good target. Avery is so hit or miss... can make some big catches and then drop so many easy ones.. he really is a # 3 receiver playing # 2.

Been saying it a while... they are a worthy playoff team, but likely don't have the "muscle" yet to make more than a brief appearance. That could change in the next month, but it's asking for a lot from a team that's already exceeded a lot. If they can add a 1st rd WR like Beckham Jr. to start opposite of Bowe and push Avery/others to # 3/ # 4 ? If they can solidify their FS spot with an upgrade? The Chiefs can gel more in the next offseason and go all the way in 2014. I sure hope that they do, if WE can not.

on the nfl network highlight show last nite one of them, i think deion sanders, said the chiefs offense will really take off when they pick up a slot receiver
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
LOL...Stephen Jackson giving Alex Smith some appreciation today on First Take! Blasting the receivers. Of course, Skip had to jump on the Peyton-wagon...

stephen jackson, or stephen a smith?
  • dj43
NFL.com today:

"When the Chiefs raced out to a 9-0 start against weak competition, the question was whether they could score fast enough to keep up in a shootout. They have now lost back-to-back high-scoring games with the defense as the culprit. For the second consecutive week, Alex Smith played a heck of a ballgame, burning secondaries with his arm and making pass rushers pay with his legs. As a running threat in key situations, Smith has been the equal of Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III andCam Newton this season. He was hurt by several drops on perfect downfield throws Sunday."

The underlined is being viewed by some as a big surprise although it is something he has always been able to do.

I am surprised and disappointed at how many passes have been dropped. I thought the Chief receivers were more reliable than this. You can teach a receiver to run routes and do a lot of things but you can't teach them to catch simple passes. In the three losses, two of them may well have been the other way around if the receivers had held onto passes that were pro-catchable balls.

The secondary has been fighting through some nagging little injuries that may be hurting them. If they can get healthy, and the two OLBs back (Hali may play next week, Houston week-to-week may be another two weeks), they could still do some damage in the playoffs. The offense has proven they can score. Now it is up to the defense to get healthy again.
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:47 AM ]
Their offense has some precision to them with Smith running it. Quick and decisive at times. But there's still some mistakes and the drops. Jenkins and Fasano accounted for 2 drops, both on long passes. Avery accounted for about 3 . It's too bad, because the offense seems to improved and scored some points the last few weeks to keep up with the bleeding defense.

Eric Decker
Originally posted by hofer36:

stephen jackson, or stephen a smith?

The latter!

I hate to say this, but he's growing on me! I've been agreeing with him lately so either I'm changing or he is...has to be him!
Originally posted by dj43:
NFL.com today:

"When the Chiefs raced out to a 9-0 start against weak competition, the question was whether they could score fast enough to keep up in a shootout. They have now lost back-to-back high-scoring games with the defense as the culprit. For the second consecutive week, Alex Smith played a heck of a ballgame, burning secondaries with his arm and making pass rushers pay with his legs. As a running threat in key situations, Smith has been the equal of Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III andCam Newton this season. He was hurt by several drops on perfect downfield throws Sunday."

The underlined is being viewed by some as a big surprise although it is something he has always been able to do.

I am surprised and disappointed at how many passes have been dropped. I thought the Chief receivers were more reliable than this. You can teach a receiver to run routes and do a lot of things but you can't teach them to catch simple passes. In the three losses, two of them may well have been the other way around if the receivers had held onto passes that were pro-catchable balls.

The secondary has been fighting through some nagging little injuries that may be hurting them. If they can get healthy, and the two OLBs back (Hali may play next week, Houston week-to-week may be another two weeks), they could still do some damage in the playoffs. The offense has proven they can score. Now it is up to the defense to get healthy again.

I'll have to disagree with the bold! As I watched the game it occurred to me that receivers need to be committed to the extent that Rice and Fitzgerald were/are in order to reach their potential. Watching Fitz catch balls on the sidelines while his defense is on the field is one indication of that commitment. The KC receivers need to make that same commitment...the one VD made to stay after practice and use the jugs machine. It's all about practice, practice, practice.

Maybe they can't become Rice or Fitz but they have to be better than what they showed Sunday...or they need to be replaced. The fact that they didn't look upset with themselves was even worse! How can you not be livid after making a drive ending drop in a close game? I'd be kicking Gatorade all over the sidelines. My one complaint about Smith has always been his composure and self control...once in a while it would be nice to see him light into a receiver who blew an assignment...call it a teaching moment!
once in a while it would be nice to see him light into a receiver who blew an assignment...call it a teaching moment!

omgzz, I so agree with this!!! He should be ripping into these fools every now and then on the sideline. Make a scene! Take a gatorade bench and flip it! I think the players would respond well to him being more... demonstrative with his frustration vs internalizing it the way he does. Could be wrong, but...
once in a while it would be nice to see him light into a receiver who blew an assignment...call it a teaching moment!

omgzz, I so agree with this!!! He should be ripping into these fools every now and then on the sideline. Make a scene! Take a gatorade bench and flip it! I think the players would respond well to him being more... demonstrative with his frustration vs internalizing it the way he does. Could be wrong, but...
Alex has class remember, He doesn't need to put on a show for any one.

Alex is not that kind of guy, he's way too nice, and that's also his fault!

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Oh, he has class either way. Those with class are still entitled to the occasional fit of rage.

.. and no, it's not about "putting on a show"... it's expressing disapproval that could end up sparking others to focus on their game.

Oh, he has class either way. Those with class are still entitled to the occasional fit of rage.

.. and no, it's not about "putting on a show"... it's expressing disapproval that could end up sparking others to focus on their game.

What type of expression would you like ?

Tom Brady or Dez B/TO ?
What type of expression would you like ?

Tom Brady or Dez B/TO ?

was I unclear for you in some way?

I think Smith has learned to be more of a 'lets move on to the next play' short memory type of guy. I think this is why he's pretty clutch towards the end of the game. Don't think he's the kind that will let the receiver hear about it after the play. He allude to his mind mentally holding on to the previous play too long. He had to learned to move on. I think he would want the same for his receiver to move on to the next one quickly to make the next play.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I think Smith has learned to be more of a 'lets move on to the next play' short memory type of guy. I think this is why he's pretty clutch towards the end of the game. Don't think he's the kind that will let the receiver hear about it after the play. He allude to his mind mentally holding on to the previous play too long. He had to learned to move on. I think he would want the same for his receiver to move on to the next one quickly to make the next play.

Yeah, fine. Maybe that is the best approach. Whatever works.. be yourself, and just do what you gotta do.
Share 49ersWebzone