LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Honestly, i just dont get what the big deal is with short, medium, or deep balls. couple things, i never understood.

Good overall post. These days, the fantasy football world loves flashy, chunk plays. The NFL saw how people are getting... I won't say it because it will be insulting... and so they elected to punish defenses with strict rules and essentially force a pass-happy league. I get it.. it's exciting. But I personally like the old ways.. a nice balance of run and pass.. 14 play 85 yard drives that chew away at opposing defenses.

People say that Alex sucks with the deep ball. That is actually a myth.

When looking at the deep pass accuracy %? Alex has a better deep ball accuracy % than Stafford, Ryan, Eli Manning, Luck, Schaub, Rivers, Flacco, Brady, Roethlisberger, Cutler, etc. Alex was even higher and above many of those other "highly respected" QBs last year too. He simply doesn't chuck it deep often. So to think he can't would only be a speculation on his eventual willingness... not his ability.

... and even if he still chooses to prefer the high % passes? So what, if he helps his team get wins?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I don't live in the bay area. Even if I did, I wouldn't go anyway. I prefer to watch football from the comfort of home.

here was the article of TC day 2... I liked this part... really want to see more deep passes, as while Alex has a fine deep ball accuracy %... he has stuck far more to the shorter, high % passes. Either way can obviously work... but I still want to see 4 or 5 deep shots per game.

The best throw of the day was during seven-on-seven drills when Smith hit Donnie Avery on a deep pass for a score.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/24/4364355/chiefs-keep-airing-it-out-on-day.html#storylink=cpy

I like hearing from the coaches mouth

(On nfl network) Uhh Alex is smart..we are banking on his leadership .uh and he's smart

That's really good insight coach

It helps the coach implement his offense to his new team when the qb is a quick learner. Kinda like Harbaugh's first year with the Niners. Not all on Smith, but having him learned the offense quickly to a functional degree helps. Looks like Smith is doing the same thing in KC for Reid.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I don't live in the bay area. Even if I did, I wouldn't go anyway. I prefer to watch football from the comfort of home.

here was the article of TC day 2... I liked this part... really want to see more deep passes, as while Alex has a fine deep ball accuracy %... he has stuck far more to the shorter, high % passes. Either way can obviously work... but I still want to see 4 or 5 deep shots per game.

The best throw of the day was during seven-on-seven drills when Smith hit Donnie Avery on a deep pass for a score.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/24/4364355/chiefs-keep-airing-it-out-on-day.html#storylink=cpy

(On nfl network) Uhh Alex is smart..we are banking on his leadership .uh and he's smart

It helps the coach implement his offense to his new team when the qb is a quick learner. Kinda like Harbaugh's first year with the Niners. Not all on Smith, but having him learned the offense quickly to a functional degree helps. Looks like Smith is doing the same thing in KC for Reid.

I know mums the word..but at least give a better analysis Andy !
Honestly, i just dont get what the big deal is with short, medium, or deep balls. couple things, i never understood.

At the end of the day, unless ur bringing in championships with whatever the yardage, does it really matter. Brees or Rodgers pass for 4-5000 yds, but has either of them won a championship lately.

Can't tell if serious. lol.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Dont want to hurt any feelings, but Alex will be an utter flop in KC. Jim Harbaugh essentially created a viable quarterback in him, and he did it by surrounding him with a GREAT oline, GREAT RB crew, GOOD receives/TEs, and GREAT coaching. Even with that, most NFL pundits (outside Niner fans) found him to be the weak link on offense. Something that became more apparent after Kaep took over.

Reid is a damned good coach, but no way he provides the supporting cast to Alex that JH did. Which means Alex is going to have to create on his own, which is unlikely to happen. When it's all said and said, he'll probably be a backup in the league in the next 2-3 years IMO.

(apologies to anyone PMing the mods after reading this )
I beg to differ. Alex is a quality QB who suffered through horrible management and coaching. We have always had the talent; VD, Crabs, Vernon, Staley, Iupati, Davis, etc. were here Pre-Harabugh. What we didn't have was a HC capable of running the team, along with a quality OC. Once Alex got that his play improved dramatically. Sure he wasn't a 5,000 yard passer but coming from where he was at it's a dramatic improvement. I think all the success he has had the past two years, plus KC spending $$$ and picks on Alex will boost his confidence tremendosly.

As far as the talent he has to work with, I don't think he is missing much. Bowe > Crabtree, Charles > Gore, they have Joeckel and Albert on the oline, Baldwin could emerge this year, and Moeaki will be in his second season basically seeing as how he had that big injury during the first. The defense is solid and Reid is a hell of a coach. I think the sky is the limit for this team who is in a WEAK AFC West. I put them at 2 in their divison and if Manning goes down they could easily get to the playoffs.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I beg to differ. Alex is a quality QB who suffered through horrible management and coaching. We have always had the talent; VD, Crabs, Vernon, Staley, Iupati, Davis, etc. were here Pre-Harabugh. What we didn't have was a HC capable of running the team, along with a quality OC. Once Alex got that his play improved dramatically. Sure he wasn't a 5,000 yard passer but coming from where he was at it's a dramatic improvement. I think all the success he has had the past two years, plus KC spending $$$ and picks on Alex will boost his confidence tremendosly.

As far as the talent he has to work with, I don't think he is missing much. Bowe > Crabtree, Charles > Gore, they have Joeckel and Albert on the oline, Baldwin could emerge this year, and Moeaki will be in his second season basically seeing as how he had that big injury during the first. The defense is solid and Reid is a hell of a coach. I think the sky is the limit for this team who is in a WEAK AFC West. I put them at 2 in their divison and if Manning goes down they could easily get to the playoffs.

Baldwin, Avery, whatever... really just hoping that another WR can step up and be a real threat on the other side of Bowe.

The attention to detail by coach Reid is paying off, as shown by new Chiefs WR Donnie Avery, who pulled in an Alex Smith pass for a TD in the back left corner of the end zone, one of the day's best grabs. "It was a pretty ball," Avery said. "Glad we have a great QB like that. It's great being here, building chemistry with Alex, before the vets come in. I'm getting some extra reps and that's a good thing."

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/The-Andy-Reid-Influence-at-Chiefs-Camp/d9e5cb46-2bab-42d5-995f-d19c4a7a0d58

Good overall post. These days, the fantasy football world loves flashy, chunk plays. The NFL saw how people are getting... I won't say it because it will be insulting... and so they elected to punish defenses with strict rules and essentially force a pass-happy league. I get it.. it's exciting. But I personally like the old ways.. a nice balance of run and pass.. 14 play 85 yard drives that chew away at opposing defenses.

People say that Alex sucks with the deep ball. That is actually a myth.

When looking at the deep pass accuracy %? Alex has a better deep ball accuracy % than Stafford, Ryan, Eli Manning, Luck, Schaub, Rivers, Flacco, Brady, Roethlisberger, Cutler, etc. Alex was even higher and above many of those other "highly respected" QBs last year too. He simply doesn't chuck it deep often. So to think he can't would only be a speculation on his eventual willingness... not his ability.

... and even if he still chooses to prefer the high % passes? So what, if he helps his team get wins?

He prefers the high percentage passes because our running game allowed for a lot of easy deep balls. But, the difference between him and those other QBs is that they can still perorm at a high level and thread some needles into a defense that is expecting the deep ball when their running game isnt up to par.

Alex must have a run game or he will not play well or play consistent. Hell, he had the best run game in the league and still wasnt consistent.
Originally posted by Joecool:
He prefers the high percentage passes because our running game allowed for a lot of easy deep balls. But, the difference between him and those other QBs is that they can still perorm at a high level and thread some needles into a defense that is expecting the deep ball when their running game isnt up to par.

Alex must have a run game or he will not play well or play consistent. Hell, he had the best run game in the league and still wasnt consistent.

Yep. Sorry QB could only hover in the top 10 of all passer ratings for the last 2 years... but not consistent!!!

Oh, how I missed you joecool. Glad to see you are picking up where ya left off. It will take a blaze like that years longer to fully be extinguished

Yep. Sorry QB could only hover in the top 10 of all passer ratings for the last 2 years... but not consistent!!!

Oh, how I missed you joecool. Glad to see you are picking up where ya left off. It will take a blaze like that years longer to fully be extinguished

Take a look at his game to game production last season. Definitely inconsistent.
Mr. 299 either played like crap or played above average last year. The average looks nice but the deviation was crap.
Take a look at his game to game production last season. Definitely inconsistent.
Mr. 299 either played like crap or played above average last year. The average looks nice but the deviation was crap.

... and Eli Manning bounced from good games to games with ratings of 78.9... 58.4... 41.1... 56... 38.9... 78.

... Rodgers is a stud and beyond reproach here... Peyton with only one really awful game..

... Tom Brady had 5 regular season games mixed in that were below an 80 rating... and a 62 rating that knocked his team from the playoffs.

... Tony Romo was all over the place in rating... 6 games below an 80 rating.

... Matt Ryan had a few games off suck mixed in too.

... Flacco has 7 reg. season games of below 80 rating... seven!

So, guess what? Looks like the whole "inconsistency" angle of yours can kick rocks. Alex's only real awful game was vs the Giants last season. Otherwise, he was as or more consistent than other highly regarded quarterbacks.

Anything else? or are you determined to stick around all year and do what you do? which is to desperately try to minimize a QB that isn't even on our team anymore?

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I know mums the word..but at least give a better analysis Andy !

If he's so smart why'd he run head first into a linebacker?

Meh, canned QB + canned HC = no better than 50%.

... and Eli Manning bounced from good games to games with ratings of 78.9... 58.4... 41.1... 56... 38.9... 78.

... Rodgers is a stud and beyond reproach here... Peyton with only one really awful game..

... Tom Brady had 5 regular season games mixed in that were below an 80 rating... and a 62 rating that knocked his team from the playoffs.

... Tony Romo was all over the place in rating... 6 games below an 80 rating.

... Matt Ryan had a few games off suck mixed in too.

... Flacco has 7 reg. season games of below 80 rating... seven!

So, guess what? Looks like the whole "inconsistency" angle of yours can kick rocks. Alex's only real awful game was vs the Giants last season. Otherwise, he was as or more consistent than other highly regarded quarterbacks.

Anything else? or are you determined to stick around all year and do what you do? which is to desperately try to minimize a QB that isn't even on our team anymore?

All the QBs listed above would never be traded for a 2nd round pic...well maybe Romo might next year
All the QBs listed above would never be traded for a 2nd round pic...well maybe Romo might next year

Many of them could be, if they had a bold coach like Jim and a young backup like Kaepernick. Don't be kiddin' yourself.

... and that was an interesting deflection away from my point to joec anyway.

You guys really didn't get enough of bringing Alex down in the days when he was a 49er? Is it really that hard to just move on?
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Jul 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM ]

Many of them could be, if they had a bold coach like Jim and a young backup like Kaepernick. Don't be kiddin' yourself.

... and that was an interesting deflection away from my point to joec anyway.

You guys really didn't get enough of bringing Alex down in the days when he was a 49er? Is it really that hard to just move on?

Criticism is tough..especially for a favorite player.

What do you think that AS has to improve on ?
Criticism is tough..especially for a favorite player.

What do you think that AS has to improve on ?

Hard to say... much depends on the type of team KC turns out to be. If they have a strong defense and STs? Then I don't think Alex has to do much that's different than what he was doing here for us. If he is asked to or game situations force him to be more aggressive? Then I'd say the biggest area of improvement would be that he needs to TRUST his targets more in order to be more aggressive in down field attempts. He would have to take more risks instead of simply being okay with taking a sack if he's not fully comfortable with his targets. Alex has much improved pocket awareness, usage, and his accuracy is fine. He will really just have to quickly gauge his new team and what they can and can not do.. and then adapt to or stay the same.. with that gauge pending.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Jul 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone