How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Get him a probowl OL and he will play the same...wait...he had that and he did. Give him a near 1000 yard receiver and Probowl TE, oh wait...

You are acting as if Alex wasn't one of the top 5 efficient QBs when he did have that pro bowl TE and OL.

In 2011, the pass offense was ranked 13th in efficiency, and we were a fumble away from a SB with a yr 1 offense.

IN 2012, the pass offense was ranked 5th in efficiency with that "pro bowl OL" and Alex was the leading QB in pass rating.

... but you don't care for THE WAY he plays... even though the coaches want(ed) this play from him... even though Andy Reid gave up TWO second rd picks to get a QB with this type of play.

This...you can do it all day Joe? I thought it was your lifetime hobby! Bash Smith, take a shower, bash Smith brush teeth, bash Smith go to work...

I think a complete 2012 would've given more people a full view of the Championship-caliber Alex Smith. I've seen more than enough to know this guy is a gamer, especially in post-season play and big games. He has a great chance to get a Super Bowl soon in KC, in my opinion.

People forget his last few games starting were basically flawless. When you have performances like that, and people still naysay and doubt, it's obvious that those entrenched in that opposing view simply are never going to change -- at best they'll slightly modify their view to look a little less inaccurate. But.. it just is what it is.

I told some friends in KC to expect this. The team will rarely win a blow out. The defense will become the best in the league because of fewer turnovers and more TOP type offense. The fans won't fall in love with Alex, and in fact there will be a contingent that despises his style of play. You will win games…..

I feel like the bottom line is that Alex consistently puts his team in position to win. I feel like because of his lack of big-time stats, he is one of the most unheralded and underrated playmakers -- yes, playmaker -- in the league. KC fans should be excited. If their team can do this with their only elite offensive threat being Jamaal Charles and maybe Bowe, think of what a revamped arsenal with added weapons through the draft/FA plus another year in Reid's system could do?
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
This...you can do it all day Joe? I thought it was your lifetime hobby! Bash Smith, take a shower, bash Smith brush teeth, bash Smith go to work...

I don't consider anything that Joe posts as "bashing". Bashing to me is like "alex sucks! blah blah blah" without any logical argument.

What's being explained is Alex's style of play. Which is highly respectable, because it's enough to beat all the mediocre teams in the league. But when it comes to championship football, a QB must have an "attacking" mentality. That is the only thing that separates Alex from the upper echelon QBs, imo.

Name me 3 of these QB's Alex has lost too in the past 3 seasons... Eli(twice)? Flaaco? Romo? Skelton? Ponder? That's his 6 losses in 3 years. How many of thes are "upper echelon"?

Now...What about Brees, Rodgers, Russel Wilson(last 49er win), Roethlisburger, Romo, Vick(twice), Stafford, Eli(twice 2-2) he has beaten? This logic makes no sense and has no basis for argument. He's done it multiple times, more often than not actually.

I'm not basing it off head to head wins/losses. I'm basing it on accomplishments, the elites have their playoff wins, and most importantly rings.

At some point you must ask, why would a QB guru like Harbaugh give up on Alex mid-way through the season when he was 6-2 as a starter? The only logical explanation would be that Harbaugh was convinced Alex did not have what it takes to win at the tournament level.

Before the injury both Baalke and Harbaugh said they had no thought what so ever of benching Alex.

My theory is that Kaep. was the future regardless. After he played so well against the Bears it was kind of pointless to put Alex back in there. Why not get Kaepernick the experience? Why play Alex when I'm pretty sure they were set as Kaep as the starting QB the next year? Kaep has more tools, a better arm, more mobility, and is a bit more willing to stretch the field than Alex, that's no secret. Kaep was that elite QB that every team/fan wanted while Alex was more of an above average QB. Harbaugh said he had to go with his gut, and while this is very very debatable and I don't care to get into it, but in the end it could have been the wrong call. I felt all along we were SB bound with Alex. But again let's not get into that.

It makes sense to me. I don't think that's a hit on Alex, but Kaep has more upside. Kaep has potential to be top 3 QB's in the league while Alex will stay around top 10.

It must have been more than for the sake of giving Kaep experience. Only teams in rebuilding seasons make switches for that reason.

Harbaugh made the decision, and them BOOM, 49ers are in the Superbowl.

See what I'm saying?

So many excuses for Alex but no one wants to admit that it is just the way he plays.

This is total b******t. With MAYBE one or two exceptions, the people who supported Smith (and may still do) freely admit that he has limits. He's conservative to a fault, he is prone to hold the ball too long, he relies heavily on the check down. I see these things and know that others do too. That doesn't make him a "fraud," "total s**t," or "average ass," however.

Limits do not justify the tirades of crap provided to minimize every single thing that player has accomplished. ZERO credit is given by the vocal minority. They claim that any QB can do what Smith has done in recent years, but cannot point to a single other QB who HAS done it. That's disingenuous and shows an agenda.
I don't consider anything that Joe posts as "bashing". Bashing to me is like "alex sucks! blah blah blah" without any logical argument.

What's being explained is Alex's style of play. Which is highly respectable, because it's enough to beat all the mediocre teams in the league. But when it comes to championship football, a QB must have an "attacking" mentality. That is the only thing that separates Alex from the upper echelon QBs, imo.
Lots of assumptions here, man. And forgetfulness. 17-19, toe to toe with Brees, 4th quarter comebacks, etc.

To say that Smith does not have that mentality is an overstatement, IMO.

I would agree that he is less "attacking" in the throw it deep and all over the place sense than some QBs, to be sure.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Lots of assumptions here, man. And forgetfulness. 17-19, toe to toe with Brees, 4th quarter comebacks, etc.

I would agree that he is less "attacking" in the throw it deep and all over the place sense than some QBs, to be sure.

My bad, I didn't mean to discredit his 4th qtr comebacks. That Lions game in 2011 was amazing!

But yes, I was referring more of his reluctance to take shots downfield.

Look at this year, all of a sudden Vernon Davis is deep threat all over the field.
Fantasy football f*cked up common sense when it comes to football. Everyone and their momma "expects" the QB to throw for 300+ yards, multiple TD's and all that crap when the only thing that matters is the W-L in the end.

I'm at that point where I'm okay with the people bashing A. Smith in the style of game he plays. All I look at now is whether they won or not. Don't get it twisted, I like the guy, but if the 49ers ever play the Chiefs, I hope we put a hurt on him.

Originally posted by AmpLee:

So many excuses for Alex but no one wants to admit that it is just the way he plays.

This is total b******t. With MAYBE one or two exceptions, the people who supported Smith (and may still do) freely admit that he has limits. He's conservative to a fault, he is prone to hold the ball too long, he relies heavily on the check down. I see these things and know that others do too. That doesn't make him a "fraud," "total s**t," or "average ass," however.

Limits do not justify the tirades of crap provided to minimize every single thing that player has accomplished. ZERO credit is given by the vocal minority. They claim that any QB can do what Smith has done in recent years, but cannot point to a single other QB who HAS done it. That's disingenuous and shows an agenda.

This. Smith may not be adept at an all out air assault. But there's no better QB in the league in minimizing mistakes and intelligence in being on the same page as a head coach and executing a game plan. He's also proven to be able to win big games when his number is called, but thrives as being a cog in the team instead of it's headlining part. I think because he's not a prototypical air it out and take risks type of QB that wears bravado on his sleeve, he's always been unfairly judged. He's done nothing but win these last three years. What more can you ask one of the guys leading your team?

You guys are missing my point. This is not about trashing Alex Smith. It is about providing information that refutes a lot of false claims being made. The Chiefs have a QB that does not turn the ball over. There are major negatives in his style of play, but for team that handed games to the opponent last year, he is the perfect QB placeholder until they find one that can play a more dominating style of offense. He was inconsistent last season on a Superbowl bound team. He is not producing very well this season either. All I have done is brought up countless rebuttals and information to false statements or a major generalization comeback "he just wins" that is based on very little analyzation. These are the type of comments that cause further rebuttals and turns a thread sour.

Here is how the last few pages have been.

poster 1: Alex is a winner and he can throw deep but his receiver is lazy,....
poster 2: Here's quite a few stats that show otherwise.
poster 1 or 3: He's the suxors because he's 9-0.

poster 4: Alex makes his defense better.
poster 2: Here's all the analysis that shows otherwise
poster 1, 3, or 4: He's the suxors because he's 9-0
poster 4: TOP
poster 2: More analysis how the defense minimizes opponents number of snaps which in turn gets KC's number of snaps up even though they are near last in the league in yards per drive
poster 5: his OL sucks, his receivers are lazy (subjective)

So, who are the ones ruining the thread? The ones drinking the cool-aide making baseless statements or the ones researching and making very valid points.
Originally posted by kidash98:
Fantasy football f*cked up common sense when it comes to football. Everyone and their momma "expects" the QB to throw for 300+ yards, multiple TD's and all that crap when the only thing that matters is the W-L in the end.

I'm at that point where I'm okay with the people bashing A. Smith in the style of game he plays. All I look at now is whether they won or not. Don't get it twisted, I like the guy, but if the 49ers ever play the Chiefs, I hope we put a hurt on him.

Kap isn't a fantasy football guy. It's not about 300 yards. That's a blanket statement. I have provided a variety of information that has very little to do with fantasy football.

Kap isn't a fantasy football guy. It's not about 300 yards. That's a blanket statement. I have provided a variety of information that has very little to do with fantasy football.

Let me ask you a simple question: Has a Smith led team (both ours and the Chiefs) been winning games? Has nothing to do with the defense, but just win outright.

We ALL know the type of QB A Smith is. We know he's not "elite" in that matter. But again, has a Smith led team (both ours and the Chiefs) been winning games?

Originally posted by AmpLee:

This. Smith may not be adept at an all out air assault. But there's no better QB in the league in minimizing mistakes and intelligence in being on the same page as a head coach and executing a game plan. He's also proven to be able to win big games when his number is called, but thrives as being a cog in the team instead of it's headlining part. I think because he's not a prototypical air it out and take risks type of QB that wears bravado on his sleeve, he's always been unfairly judged. He's done nothing but win these last three years. What more can you ask one of the guys leading your team?

Dang I feel all bad now.

For the record, I'm hating on the game, not the player.
[ Edited by verb1der on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM ]

Let me ask you a simple question: Has a Smith led team (both ours and the Chiefs) been winning games? Has nothing to do with the defense, but just win outright.

We ALL know the type of QB A Smith is. We know he's not "elite" in that matter. But again, has a Smith led team (both ours and the Chiefs) been winning games?

It's way more than just wins, it's about greatness. 49ers fans expect greatness!

#dontsettle

It's way more than just wins, it's about greatness. 49ers fans expect greatness!

#dontsettle

We're talking about a player now with the Chiefs, not the 49ers.

My bad, I didn't mean to discredit his 4th qtr comebacks. That Lions game in 2011 was amazing!

But yes, I was referring more of his reluctance to take shots downfield.

Look at this year, all of a sudden Vernon Davis is deep threat all over the field.

No bad at all, just a difference in perception, I think.

Yep. The bolded is a limitation - I agree.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I dont understand JoeCools obsession with putting Alex down any chance he gets.

I don't understand your obsession with putting Kaep down any chance you get. You're supposed to be a 49ers fan. You should take a good long look in the mirror, and ask yourself.........why am I doing this?
You should ask yourself. Why is valrod doing this? The answer is clear

Not really that clear if you look at the production.

#dontsettle

We're talking about a player now with the Chiefs, not the 49ers.

Share 49ersWebzone