LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Due to whatever the circumstance ..They have to punt/FG (sprinkle some TDs) almost 70% of every drive. They rarely go for it 4th..but they are almost on top for 3rd downs attempted.

Just like 2011 for the 49ers..we sucked at 3rd down. even if KW didn't fumble..we couldn't drive down field

Giants couldn't do jack in the 2nd half either. Here's a quick refresher for you....

At least Alex threw a 28 yd TD to VD to get SF back on top 14-10.

We were winning by that going into the 4th. That's when our D allowed an 80 yd TD drive to give NYG the lead 17-14.

Then, Alex moved the ball into FG range to tie the game 17-17.

Then, Kyle Williams fumbled the lead away by giving the ball back to them inside their 30.

Then, both teams couldn't get a real drive going... so we went to OT.

Game was tied until Kyle fumbled yet again around mid-field...
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Due to whatever the circumstance ..They have to punt/FG (sprinkle some TDs) almost 70% of every drive. They rarely go for it 4th..but they are almost on top for 3rd downs attempted.

Just like 2011 for the 49ers..we sucked at 3rd down. even if KW didn't fumble..we couldn't drive down field

Giants couldn't do jack in the 2nd half either. Here's a quick refresher for you....

We were winning by that going into the 4th. That's when our D allowed an 80 yd TD drive to give NYG the lead 17-14.

Then, Kyle Williams fumbled the lead away by giving the ball back to them inside their 30.

Exactly my point..some one needed to make a mistake (sucked it had to be us) in that second half..cause no one was doing anything... due to not enough 3rd down conversions
Exactly my point..some one needed to make a mistake (sucked it had to be us) in that second half..cause no one was doing anything... due to not enough 3rd down conversions

Well that's not exactly fresh and riveting news, now is it? Everyone knows that 3rd down conversions are nice... just as everyone knows that scoring more than your opponent is nice. It is breaking down WHY the 3rd downs fail that is important.. not just throwing out the team stat without any real insight as to what's made the stat this way.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
From your link, Joe, KC is 11th in the league in offensive Time Of Possession per drive - so their offense is doing a top-third job at giving their defense time to rest. They are also 4th in turnovers per drive, which also assists their defense, obviously. Of course the defense is carrying the offense - the defense is the better unit. But the style of the offense contributes to the defense's success. I think that an offense like, say, Denver's (3rd in yards but 23rd in time of possession, each per drive) would absolutely have a negative impact on the defense. There is a balance in effect.

And as others have stated, the biggest issue(s) with the offense are not at QB - it's the constant penalties and drops that have really set them back.

McGibblets and everyone, very nice everyone is doing some research.

DarkKnight, yes TOP does help but when KC is getting the TOP, they are not doing much with it...about middle in the league when they get the ball on offense. So, this leads to the Defense getting keeping opponents to very short drives which was why I researched the yards per drive allowed.

Guess what, KC defense is ranked #1. So, the KC defense holds the opponents to very minimal plays. Now factor in the fact that KC offense is very weak at sustaining long drives and there is your TOP. It is not due to Alex Smith and mostly due to the defense.

Well that's not exactly fresh and riveting news, now is it? Everyone knows that 3rd down conversions are nice... just as everyone knows that scoring more than your opponent is nice. It is breaking down WHY the 3rd downs fail that is important.. not just throwing out the team stat without any real insight as to what's made the stat this way.

Good synopsis above Mac! As painful as it was it is so clear that the game rested in the hands of a young player who was not ready, may never be, for prime time. But some will blame the QB no matter the mistakes of the rest of the team...all about the Alex!
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Let's be real here, anyone rooting for the Chiefs to lose so we can get a better 2nd round pick is using that as an excuse. Just admit you want to see Alex lose. We all know good and well the difference between the 21st pick in the second and the 30th is irrelevant. With our teams track record that pick might not even touch the field next season, especially if we are healthy. NOW to be honest, the Chiefs could very well win that division. Old man Fox is prob going to miss the rest of the regular season with the heart issue. Manning's body is already breaking down, they have oline and the defense is giving up points by the truck load. We got our second, so I'm happy. If Alex goes undefeated so what, if they lose the next seven... so what. Let's move on...

That's complete and utter b******t. I have always been an outward supporter of Alex Smith and I know many others who wanted the Chiefs to be 8-8 were also Smith supporters. Sure there are Alex bashers who want him to lose, but to put everyone in that boat is ridiculous and completely fabricated out of laziness, denial, and/or ignorance. And the difference between mid-2nd pick and end of 2nd is not irrelevant. It is quite relevant and can be the difference in getting your guy or settling for a different guy. C'mon man. Add to that the needs we're going to have with guys leaving because we can't afford them. Long-term success is completely contingent on having cheap young players producing at a high level. Because when contracts come up for guys like Kaep, Crabs, Iupati, etc. we're not going to afford to keep the mid-range guys around.

Bro a middle of the second or end of the second won't make or break us. It's not like you get an extra second round pick every year. We have like 13 picks it's not like we have 13 roster spots that need to be filled or 13 positions that we can upgrade. Most of our extra picks will be bundled to move up or we will move out of a round and basically transfer the pick to next year. Pretty much every draft we go into, we are playing with house money. So like I said, the position of that extra two won't mean much.
Let's be real here, anyone rooting for the Chiefs to lose so we can get a better 2nd round pick is using that as an excuse. Just admit you want to see Alex lose. We all know good and well the difference between the 21st pick in the second and the 30th is irrelevant. With our teams track record that pick might not even touch the field next season, especially if we are healthy. NOW to be honest, the Chiefs could very well win that division. Old man Fox is prob going to miss the rest of the regular season with the heart issue. Manning's body is already breaking down, they have oline and the defense is giving up points by the truck load. We got our second, so I'm happy. If Alex goes undefeated so what, if they lose the next seven... so what. Let's move on...

That's complete and utter b******t. I have always been an outward supporter of Alex Smith and I know many others who wanted the Chiefs to be 8-8 were also Smith supporters. Sure there are Alex bashers who want him to lose, but to put everyone in that boat is ridiculous and completely fabricated out of laziness, denial, and/or ignorance. And the difference between mid-2nd pick and end of 2nd is not irrelevant. It is quite relevant and can be the difference in getting your guy or settling for a different guy. C'mon man. Add to that the needs we're going to have with guys leaving because we can't afford them. Long-term success is completely contingent on having cheap young players producing at a high level. Because when contracts come up for guys like Kaep, Crabs, Iupati, etc. we're not going to afford to keep the mid-range guys around.

Bro a middle of the second or end of the second won't make or break us. It's not like you get an extra second round pick every year. We have like 13 picks it's not like we have 13 roster spots that need to be filled or 13 positions that we can upgrade. Most of our extra picks will be bundled to move up or we will move out of a round and basically transfer the pick to next year. Pretty much every draft we go into, we are playing with house money. So like I said, the position of that extra two won't mean much.

I want the best pick available. Therefore, I am rooting for the chiefs (who I have no emotional investment with) to lose. Its the same with any other teams picks that we have/had
Originally posted by Joecool:
McGibblets and everyone, very nice everyone is doing some research.

DarkKnight, yes TOP does help but when KC is getting the TOP, they are not doing much with it...about middle in the league when they get the ball on offense. So, this leads to the Defense getting keeping opponents to very short drives which was why I researched the yards per drive allowed.

Guess what, KC defense is ranked #1. So, the KC defense holds the opponents to very minimal plays. Now factor in the fact that KC offense is very weak at sustaining long drives and there is your TOP. It is not due to Alex Smith and mostly due to the defense.

I dont think this makes any sense. KC is #11 in TOP/drive. Not a net stat, so it has nothing to do with the defense. Compared to other offenses, KC is 11th best at holding the ball for length of time. So they aren't "very weak at sustaining long drives" since the D has nothing to do with this TOP stat. You don't "do things" with your time of possession either with this stat - it's just a stat for keeping the ball away from the other team.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

I want the best pick available. Therefore, I am rooting for the chiefs (who I have no emotional investment with) to lose. Its the same with any other teams picks that we have/had

Exactly. We got our franchise QB with a second round pick. Why try to minimize draft position. Every possible advantage we can get, I want. No one is saying that that picking 10-15 spots earlier in the second will make or break us. People simply want that advantage for our team. It improves our chances to bring in a contributor.

Once the Chiefs hit 6/7 wins us getting anything higher than a 20 pick was out the window. At this point you all are hoping for a 2-5 spot difference between picks, and that's a worst case scenario. Like I said before, no matter if that second round pick is middle of the pack or dead last, it won't have any bearing on our team nor our future. Yes we found Kap in the second, but we MOVED UP to get him. Having the pick itself is what's important, the order of said pick is just a formality, because at the end of the day it's not how many or how high of a pick you have... it's what you do with them. Screw the Chiefs (except my boy DJ, lo, his wife would kill me if she knew I said that), and Screw Alex. We got our second I'm good. Three picks in the first two rounds for a team that could easily go to the super bowl is ridiculous, no matter if it's the 15th pick in the second or the 30th. Because knowing this front office and coaching staff if we take a player with that pick he will sit for 2-3 years baring health issues.
probably already mentioned, but chiefs / broncos was flexed to sunday night on 11/17. Should be a great game

Ugh what a painful memory. TBH that was the best Niner team since 2002. We would have beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Our defense was unstoppable, offense was solid esp with Alex playing pretty well in the playoffs, and most importantly our play calling was so dialed in and catered to the offenses strengths.

That was the year to win.
I agree Lambda. We woulda won that f**king Superbowl. Ugh.
Sure it is. Keep coming up with reasons hat hold no ground. Here are some more numbers about your long field claim.

KCs #1 ranked defense in yards per drive allows only 22.5 yards per drive.

KC offense only gets 26.75 yards per drive which is actually ranked 24 and not 22.

So, it looks like the defense hooks up the offense with short field position. If it were the other way around, the. KC offense would have a stronger yards per drive number. So, you are saying the team in the bottom of the league that averages only 26 yards per drive is moving the chains so the opponent has a long field? The numbers say the opposite.

Since you like those pretty numbers so much, any thoughts about KC leading the league #1 in offensive penalties? Thoughts on the being top 10 in dropped passes? Do you think these issues alone contribute greatly to a drive stalling?

They are not the most penalized team on offense. But they do have the #1 ranked defense in terms of scoring points and yards allowed per drive.

The facts are, the KC offense, aside from not turning the ball over as much from last year, is not the reason why KC is 9-0.

http://www.footballdb.com/penalties.html

KC is also ranked 16 th in first downs. Going further, they are ranked 22 in 3rd down percentage. 24th in yards per drive.

Tell me more how the KC offense just moves the chains, sustains drives, and makes their defense better.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM ]
They should be #1 in Time of Possession with Alex being the QB.
They are not the most penalized team on offense. But they do have the #1 ranked defense in terms of scoring points and yards allowed per drive.

The facts are, the KC offense, aside from not turning the ball over as much from last year, is not the reason why KC is 9-0.

http://www.footballdb.com/penalties.html

KC is also ranked 16 th in first downs. Going further, they are ranked 22 in 3rd down percentage. 24th in yards per drive.

Tell me more how the KC offense just moves the chains, sustains drives, and makes their defense better.

You forgot to mention, they are #1 in total punts.

Funny, a few years back, the 49ers were #1 in total punts. I think we might have set a record that year actually.

To answer your question, their offense makes their defense better by punting the ball away and giving the defense more opportunities to score. They scored 14 points last week.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone