LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

I just saw the drop that McCluster had against the Bills. Just.... wow. People say Smith never throws downfield. While it's true that he takes minimal risks downfield, it's hard to blame him when someone this wide open botches it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/mccluster-drops-pass-first-half-214500809.html

Smith isn't perfect, but egads, he can't be the one to catch the ball, too.
[ Edited by captveg on Nov 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Joecool:
KC is ranked 17th with 22 3 and out drives. The team that is ranked first has 33 3 and out drives.

Cases keep being made that KC offense is making their defense better. However, it is the other way around.

KC offense is ranked 22nd in yards per drive. Lol, their defense is ranked #1.

What it gives them between the two is a net of 7th in yards per drive.

I was curious because all I read is Alex moves the chains and makes his defense better but how can that be if KC offense struggles to score. I watched the last few games and I was not seeing what I read.

Alex does one important thing for his defense and that is not to turn the ball over. However, the KC defense actually can overcome that also due to the poor competition and backup QBs.

So, in KCs case, their defense is making that offense better.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

Punting the ball so the other team's offense has to go the distance and give your own defense a longer field to defense. Football fundamental....

Sure it is. Keep coming up with reasons hat hold no ground. Here are some more numbers about your long field claim.

KCs #1 ranked defense in yards per drive allows only 22.5 yards per drive.

KC offense only gets 26.75 yards per drive which is actually ranked 24 and not 22.

So, it looks like the defense hooks up the offense with short field position. If it were the other way around, the. KC offense would have a stronger yards per drive number. So, you are saying the team in the bottom of the league that averages only 26 yards per drive is moving the chains so the opponent has a long field? The numbers say the opposite.
Sus, you already know this story: KC defense keeps DEN from scoring a lot of points while waiting for the KC offense to score more than FGs. This will keep the game within one or two scores until DEN exhausts the KC defense and hits them for 14 on two straight drives in the fourth.

KC finally puts a drive together but a WR drops a ball.

Game summary: KC defense let them down because they couldn't hold it. Combine that with drops and there you go. Alex didn't make any mistakes and who cares if he didn't make big plays either.

Option number two: blowout and the OL DEF and WRs looked terrible and didn't come to play.

Mods still letting you guys get away with this stuff? hmmm.... ooookay...
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
KC is ranked 17th with 22 3 and out drives. The team that is ranked first has 33 3 and out drives.

Cases keep being made that KC offense is making their defense better. However, it is the other way around.

KC offense is ranked 22nd in yards per drive. Lol, their defense is ranked #1.

What it gives them between the two is a net of 7th in yards per drive.

I was curious because all I read is Alex moves the chains and makes his defense better but how can that be if KC offense struggles to score. I watched the last few games and I was not seeing what I read.

Alex does one important thing for his defense and that is not to turn the ball over. However, the KC defense actually can overcome that also due to the poor competition and backup QBs.

So, in KCs case, their defense is making that offense better.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

Punting the ball so the other team's offense has to go the distance and give your own defense a longer field to defense. Football fundamental....

Sure it is. Keep coming up with reasons hat hold no ground. Here are some more numbers about your long field claim.

KC offense only gets 26.75 yards per drive which is actually ranked 24 and not 22.

So, it looks like the defense hooks up the offense with short field position. If it were the other way around, the. KC offense would have a stronger yards per drive number. So, you are saying the team in the bottom of the league that averages only 26 yards per drive is moving the chains so the opponent has a long field? The numbers say the opposite.

Read my edited post. Also their defense is given up pts in the teens. That's the safe offense setting the defense in a good situation. Yes. By punting the ball.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
All I know is we should be gettin a first rounder.

Baalke. Step ya game up.

Since you like those pretty numbers so much, any thoughts about KC leading the league #1 in offensive penalties? Thoughts on the being top 10 in dropped passes? Do you think these issues alone contribute greatly to a drive stalling?
*sigh*

It never ends. Same characters, same arguments. Only the team name has changed.

Let's just all agree that Smith is the luckiest QB on the planet, and that the Chiefs are the worst team in football, true frauds with a 9-0 record. Why, EVERY TEAM could be 9-0 with that schedule!

There.

Now we can move on, right?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Since you like those pretty numbers so much, any thoughts about KC leading the league #1 in offensive penalties? Thoughts on the being top 10 in dropped passes? Do you think these issues alone contribute greatly to a drive stalling?

Which is why the defense is carrying the offense. The only thing the offense is doing well is not turning it over which isn't the best in the league. You know what is? Their defense.

Keeping trying to make more excuses.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by QBguru:
Originally posted by strickac:
They still won't win their division, which should put them in the wildcard hunt. IF they make the playoffs, it should be a quick exit. I'm expecting a pick in the early 20s of the 2nd.

How do you "know" that they won't win their division? They have to lose all of their games to not make the playoffs. The AFC is weak this year. I don't think they make it past the championship game, but that is not to say they can't. I still say defense wins championships.

i think theyll win the division. denver has a great offense, but KCs defense can stop them. KC can run and Alex will not turn the ball over and hes moving the chains. the KC chiefs this year are the 2011 49ers pretty much

Reid is already showing that he can't stick to the run game. As soon as the Broncos get an early lead, Alex will be forced to throw every down and he'll continue to play conservatively. I have no doubts that Reid will shelve Charles as soon as they get behind. The Chiefs can't keep up with the Broncos.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by QBguru:
They still won't win their division, which should put them in the wildcard hunt. IF they make the playoffs, it should be a quick exit. I'm expecting a pick in the early 20s of the 2nd.

How do you "know" that they won't win their division? They have to lose all of their games to not make the playoffs. The AFC is weak this year. I don't think they make it past the championship game, but that is not to say they can't. I still say defense wins championships.

i think theyll win the division. denver has a great offense, but KCs defense can stop them. KC can run and Alex will not turn the ball over and hes moving the chains. the KC chiefs this year are the 2011 49ers pretty much

Reid is already showing that he can't stick to the run game. As soon as the Broncos get an early lead, Alex will be forced to throw every down and he'll continue to play conservatively. I have no doubts that Reid will shelve Charles as soon as they get behind. The Chiefs can't keep up with the Broncos.

And you know this as a fact? Bottom line, whether they played anyone worthy or not, that defense of theirs is something to watch! I think they have the ability to match up well with the Broncos and it can go either way.

From your link, Joe, KC is 11th in the league in offensive Time Of Possession per drive - so their offense is doing a top-third job at giving their defense time to rest. They are also 4th in turnovers per drive, which also assists their defense, obviously. Of course the defense is carrying the offense - the defense is the better unit. But the style of the offense contributes to the defense's success. I think that an offense like, say, Denver's (3rd in yards but 23rd in time of possession, each per drive) would absolutely have a negative impact on the defense. There is a balance in effect.

And as others have stated, the biggest issue(s) with the offense are not at QB - it's the constant penalties and drops that have really set them back.
This is a great way to look how efficient a team is on game day..The Defense might carry you.but for how long ?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct
Many 3rd down conversions have failed due to drops, failed runs on short situations, and conservatism to not risk anything and run clock. Same as SF did it in 2011. They finished 18th in offensive efficiency, and still were a Kyle W. fumble away from the SB.

KC is ranked 16th in offensive efficiency. Now that is a stat to pay attention to. 16th isn't grand... but for a yr 1 team with large OL and drop issues? 16th ain't so bad.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Many 3rd down conversions have failed due to drops, failed runs on short situations, and conservatism to not risk anything and run clock. Same as SF did it in 2011. They finished 18th in offensive efficiency, and still were a Kyle W. fumble away from the SB.

KC is ranked 16th in offensive efficiency. Now that is a stat to pay attention to. 16th isn't grand... but for a yr 1 team with large OL and drop issues? 16th ain't so bad.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

Due to whatever the circumstance ..They have to punt/FG (sprinkle some TDs) almost 70% of every drive. They rarely go for it 4th..but they are almost on top for 3rd downs attempted.

Just like 2011 for the 49ers..we sucked at 3rd down. even if KW didn't fumble..we couldn't drive down field
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
we need them to start losing.

this

soft schedule is helping them big time.

Even with that, Chiefs could have a collapse. I want them to hurry up and win 8 because I have a bad feeling Reid is getting figured out. Teams are focusing on the underneath routes and forcing deep throws.

Chiefs passing game has gotten worse with each game.

With HOU, CLE, BUF, DEN, WAS in the next 5 weeks, and the way their passing game is struggling, they may be lucky to get 1 or 2 wins out of that.

[ Edited by HomerJ on Nov 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone