Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

• XD33
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Smith runs because his receivers are not trustworthy? That won't stick on the wall. All let every full season Bowe has had, he has produced. Smith has a history of playing safe. Wonder which will stick more, history or the assumption.

Everyone keeps saying Smith doesn't throw it to Bowe because he isn't dependable. I would lean more to that Smith doesn't throw certain balls because they are not high percentage plays. The WRs are usually the lower percentage play if we are talking about anything over 7 yards. A lot of subjective reasons as to why Smith isn't doing something but none of those reasons take into account his historical stats or style of play. At the same time, Bowes past stats and play are thrown out the window.

Joe, I'm just not sure why anyone should care about this stuff. However KC is getting it done, they are getting it done. Bowe is getting targeted about 6 times per game. Avery gets a little over 5 targets per game.. Jamaal Charles has been targeted about 8 times per game. The targets to TEs should go up now that Fasano is back.

KC spreads the ball around... and love to utilize Charles in both the pass and run. That's the way Reid wants it. It works...they are winning. Bowe has shown no displeasure, since he has his fat contract anyway.

What, again, is your deal?

My initial post about Bowe was due to comments that Bowe is not dependable or he's lazy and that's why Alex isn't targeting him more than a running back or nearly the same as the #2. My point is that it is not Bowes inability bu Alex Smiths style.

Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by csjwilkinson:
The better the Chiefs do the better. That's a gramatical nightmare but you catch my drift.

Anything that helps us is good. The Chiefs suck and I'm waiting for the bubble to burst but lets get the required number of wins out of them first. That was my thinking early in the season.

if you think the chiefs suck, well, maybe you should take up a new hobby

Chiefs are very similar to 2011 Niners and that team went 13-3 and should have won the Super Bowl. Now at 7-0 they are very good but I don't think they can beat us even at 5-2

Wouldn't want to play them in KC.

The only decent team KC has played is Dallas, and that team is far from good. I'm glad KC is winning, but it's meaningless unless they can beat a quality opponent. Granted, they have not faced a quality opponent yet, so it isn't their fault of course.

I could say the same about Denver or the 9ers.

The difference is the Broncos and 9ers basically blow mediocre teams out (like they should). The Chiefs squeak by mediocre teams, a sure sign of a pretender, IMO.

So it doesn't count if you do just enough to win.... Okay.

Btw, 3rd season for the niners with the same offense. First for kc... New qb and coach and play book. Think about what that means. You should have Good idea.

I didn't say it doesn't count. I'm just stating a simple way to identify a "pretender" vs a contender. We see these lone undefeated teams every year, and how many of them actually turn out to be legitimate?!

And to the bolded, valid excuses. Unfortunately Alex Smith has reached max potential, we've witnessed it in 2011, 2012 when Harbaugh pulled his plug, and now with the Chiefs, still playing not to lose, and cannot attack deep if his life depended on it.

I admit his style is enough to defeat bad/mediocre teams, but will not go far once the playoffs start and games are placed in the QB's hands.

Delaying the inevitable.

oh yea right...and PEYTON Manings LEGENDARY PLAYOFF season is what is needed to win a game. Member Brady 16-0 broke all the records, what happend he faced a good defense and got beat.

Essentially what im saying is , ANY GIVEN SUNDAY.
Theres been plenty of games where Peyton and Bradyhad bad games and the Defense bailed him out.

You really think Peyton will win the SB. historically speaking his chances are at 30%. Historically speaking A Smith, A. Dalton chances are at 70%.

in the previous 10 years.
guys with elite arms and the QBs that had the most ESPN groupies.
those guys only won 3/10 rings and only 1 at the ages past 32.

while MANGERS who had their defenses and KICKERS bail them out won 7.

Eli,Ben,Brady(before 2007),Flaco,

EliBen Brady- went on to win multiple rings before turning 30.
Originally posted by XD33:
oh yea right...and PEYTON Manings LEGENDARY PLAYOFF season is what is needed to win a game. Member Brady 16-0 broke all the records, what happend he faced a good defense and got beat.

Theres been plenty of games where Peyton and Bradyhad bad games and the Defense bailed him out.

You really think Peyton will win the SB. historically speaking his chances are at 30%. Historically speaking A Smith, A. Dalton chances are at 70%.

You just named a bunch of QBs who throw to their WRs.
Just want to say great posts all around. We stuck to the topic.

Just get to 8.

Breathe guy. Lol.
Just want to say great posts all around. We stuck to the topic.

Just get to 8.

Will today be the day? Dun Dun Dunnnnn....

You're confusing me. All of the QBs mentioned above (besides Alex) can attack passing anywhere on the field, they don't just play it safe and throw check downs, that's the difference. And btw Peyton has a ring bro, he's already proven.
[ Edited by verb1der on Oct 27, 2013 at 7:38 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't agree that KC has better receivers. The body of work there just isn't impressive dating back to the past few seasons. Boldin has been a consistent performer, even on a run-first team at Baltimore. And Vernon and McDonald vs. the UDFA McGrath and, well, nobody else (Kelce is on IR and Fasano has been hurt too) is an obvious win for the 49ers -- so I think you could actually make the argument we have much better weapons. But to be ultra conservative, what if we were to just call it a wash.

I just think the KC offense is not nearly as bad as some would think. The 49ers are ranked 17th with 335 YPG and 5.5 YPP. The Chiefs are right behind at 19th with 330 YPG and 4.9 YPP. That yards per play number is actually higher than the Patriots currently. KC has one of the worst pass-blocking lines in the NFL (22nd per Football Outsiders). By contrast, their line grades out at the 2nd best in run-blocking (per FootballOutsiders). Right now the team plays to its OL's strength. They cannot pass block to save their life. I've been impressed how well Smith has evaded pressure, and KC is lucky he's so athletic or their number of sacks given up would be enormous right now.

Smith's approach may lead to lower numbers, but I don't think you can say he's causing KC's offense to struggle. I think a simple analysis would allow one to piece together why they're not doing better:

1. OL has severe struggles in pass-blocking. Long-developing, deep routes are almost impossible to execute in this case.
2. Drops are killer. Dropping critical passes for 1st downs and having to punt obviously means less offensive yards.
3. No real receiving threat outside of Bowe. No TEs. Again, a weak group here obviously hurts the passing game.
4. The outrageous number of penalties severely hampers the offense. When your OL cannot pass block, and you put yourself in obvious passing downs you are at a serious disadvantage. The defense can easily scheme against you then. Not only that, but the problem is compounded by receivers that struggle to get open, and/or when they do, them dropping a critical 1st-down conversion pass kills the drive.

It's easy to knee-jerk blame Smith because he's the QB, but it's not that simple. His approach to the game has an affect on his stats in SOME games, but overall, a deeper analysis of the team offense indicates he actually has little responsibility for the offense not being higher-ranked, and rather actually helps somewhat cover up some of its weaknesses.

Excellent post! Thanks for the research and the post. Smith has been playing well in a new offense with a whole new team. He is playing above my expectation and I am very happy for the guy! Of course, he was playing lights out last year until injured so no great surprise.
  • XD33

You're confusing me. All of the QBs mentioned above (besides Alex) can attack passing anywhere on the field, they don't just play it safe and throw check downs, that's the difference. And btw Peyton has a ring bro, he's already proven.
When Alex gets a ring this year.You will still hate him? Lol.
im just saying...that would be really funny, watch Disney make a movie out if it written by MICHEAL LEWIS. Probably be like Money Ball.

Kleo Thomas as Colin Kapernick
Adam Butcher as Aaron Rodgers
Ryan Gosling as Alex Smith.
im just saying...that would be really funny, watch Disney make a movie out if it written by MICHEAL LEWIS. Probably be like Money Ball.

I already banned you a week ago, you aren't lasting long like this. Take it down a notch.
KC and Alex getting crazy love on the pregame shows. Good stuff. I imagine some of the haters are hating TV today. Haha
Alex 35-36 14 yards 0 td 0 int

KC-12
Cle-7
Fear the tomato!

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Alex 35-36 14 yards 0 td 0 int

KC-12
Cle-7

lol

14 yds Dude is so safe, he had a pass to himself rather than to his receiver.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
lol

14 yds Dude is so safe, he had a pass to himself rather than to his receiver.

If he gets a ring, I will be the first to bow down.

And yes, Ryan Gosling is perfect! lol