There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Question: when was the last time that the last undefeated team of the season actually made it to the Super Bowl?
Originally posted by verb1der:
Question: when was the last time that the last undefeated team of the season actually made it to the Super Bowl?

pats....

I think the fins before that.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

pats....

Oh yeeeauh, even tho they lost that answers the question.

That said, it just seems like it's more of a jinx for a team to be the last undefeated of the season.

Really interesting how far Chiefs are gonna take this.
One more thing about watching and following the Chiefs...

Their offense looks more like the Niners of old, like pre-1994. Holmgren's Niners offense.

One more reason to watch.
It's difficult to see the Chiefs to remain undefeated for the rest of the season. They have some tough games toward the end of the season.
Originally posted by fastforward:
It's difficult to see the Chiefs to remain undefeated for the rest of the season. They have some tough games toward the end of the season.

If they can take care of business the next 2 easy games-- Bills and Browns(?) -- that would put them at 9-0. If they go 3-4 for that stretch of tough last 7 games, that would put them at 12-4. That seems reasonable.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

If they can take care of business the next 2 easy games-- Bills and Browns(?) -- that would put them at 9-0. If they go 3-4 for that stretch of tough last 7 games, that would put them at 12-4. That seems reasonable.

Yeah, I can't see them going anywhere close to undefeated or making the SB. Still a cool turnaround story though.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Yeah, I can't see them going anywhere close to undefeated or making the SB. Still a cool turnaround story though.
Don't think anyone has that expectation. They play Denver twice. Splitting those games would be a win. Now if they win both of those games...
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Will be interesting to see how far they can go. To be honest, I didn't think we would do much in the playoffs either back in 2011, being a team that never went to the playoff for so long. But we ended up in the NFCCG. As long as Reid can keep his guys discipline and focus, I think they may surprise even themselves.

pats....

That said, it just seems like it's more of a jinx for a team to be the last undefeated of the season.

So, you have to go all the way back to the 70s and the Dolphins to find the last time the last undefeated team won the SB??!!!

One the surface, that seems incredible! Ok, i'm diving into wiki nfl seasons to see if it's true. Because that's really interesting to me if true.

Jinx? Curse? call it what you want, but it reminds me of one of my favorite quotes that refers to historical empires: going something like "History is filled with the sounds of silk slippers going down and wooden shoes going up."
  • dj43
  • Veteran
The winner of the Super Bowl is almost always the team that is the healthiest at the end of the season. That is really the most accurate "fact" about Super Bowl winners. The season long record means nothing if a key injury or two happen on the playoff road.

Barring injury, the team with the best record is usually the team that has been the best all season long. That team would be the favorite to win the Super Bowl.

The Chiefs have certainly played a weaker schedule than the 49ers or Ravens, but they have won all the games the league assigned them. Due to the parity the league seeks, it is fair to say that with the exception of the the Jags, most other teams in the league COULD have playoff potential barring injury. As Eric Fisher develops and the receivers gain chemistry, I see no reason the Chiefs could not be a Super Bowl contender. Their defense is great. ST's are well above average. They are winning the turnover battle week in and week out. They can run the ball and throw it. What's to say they couldn't make it to Met Life in Feb?
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:

pats....

So, you have to go all the way back to the 70s and the Dolphins to find the last time the last undefeated team won the SB??!!!

One the surface, that seems incredible! Ok, i'm diving into wiki nfl seasons to see if it's true. Because that's really interesting to me if true.

Jinx? Curse? call it what you want, but it reminds me of one of my favorite quotes that refers to historical empires: going something like "History is filled with the sounds of silk slippers going down and wooden shoes going up."

Ok, so no. Actually, for three consecutive years, (1997-1999) the last team with an undefeated record won the SB (Broncos/Broncos/Rams). Colts in the 2006 season were the last undefeated team and won the SB that year.

Another interesting undefeated fact, that I didn't remember, The 2009 Saints, went 13-0 before losing their first game, but WERE NOT the last undefeated team, the colts were, who went 14-0.

But, the year before that, NO team went 4 games undefeated!

The 2009 season, The two eventual SB teams, went 0-5 in their last combined post-undefeated record. Not really that interesting because they'd both clinched the playoffs. What's interesting is that year was dominated by those two teams from week 1 through... And, resting starters didn't seem to hurt either.

...Which has not been the case at ALL the last three seasons, interesting has seemingly random the NFL can be. Go NINERS! They'll win the SB this year for sure!!!!
ESPN power rankings have the Chiefs at #1 right now. I wouldn't have put them there, but it's hard to argue with the league's best defense and only undefeated record. I'd have it Colts, Seahawks, Broncos, Chiefs, New Orleans, SF. They've got SF at #6 as well.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:
We can just package all of our 37 7th rounders and move up.

No.

it has to be the super secret master plan....unless we are planning on drafting a minor league team to hide somewhere
i wonder if the chiefs will get agressive before the trading deadline to try to make a run this year?
tony gonzalez would be an upgrade at tight end, as would hakeem nicks/arron gordon at wide receiver...i think they could use a big back to share some of the load with charles, and maybe convert some of the 3rd and shorts that seem to trouble them now