Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Thanks for the 2nd round pick Alice

He's still doing the Niners a solid
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shorteous:
They are not silly, they were used to provide contrast to the stance that 49ers fan should only be interested in what benefits the 9ers the most which is obviously a very undefined position. I also said I could give numerous other situations that could paint that point, but my job isn't to list them all it's to provide an easy to understand counter.

Like another poster said, you do not support the Niners in a vacuum. It's lazy to say the chiefs have no other impact to us than a draft position, many things they do whether good or bad can have a greater impact than a ~16 position draft position swing.

But the greater point that I really care about is that a 16 position draft spot swing is not large enough to out weigh ones rooting interest in another Football team and I hold no malice against any fan who wishes to openly support the chiefs, Reid and Smith. I think the circumstances of the chiefs last season, the A. Smith situation, and Ried's departure from the Eagles creates a dynamic that is easy for Americans to rally behind and support and something that easily out weighs the importance of 16 draft positions.

I will leave in saying that it is quite conceivable that a 9er who wants the chiefs to be more successful than 8-8 could quite easily be consider a better 49er fan by their other actions than those who only care for 8-8.

Two things:

• I really don't care what you guys root for, as we all have no actual impact on the outcome. We aren't changing what's happening. As long as nobody is being a dick to each other, root away.
  • The last sentence in your post is just ridiculous. You don't know anything about any of these guys. Some guys won't admit it, but they rooted for Alex to fail regardless of the pick, for reasons unknown. Some guys won't admit they took Harbaugh's decision to bench and trade Alex to heart and are rooting for the Chiefs like its their new favorite team. Or are at least very conflicted about it. I can see both sides of the argument on the pick and the wins, and why its important to a football fan. But rooting for the chiefs to win over an improved draft pick does not ma e someone a better fan. Its football, not becoming a martyr. Lol

I am not mad at you guys for rooting for him to win. Heck, I'm rooting for him to do well. I like the guy.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Smith hasn't played a good game in several weeks yet has been leading the team to wins. His team mates appreciate his leadership and all is right in the Chief world. He will need to bring his A game against five opponents after the bye week! They could easily end up 9-5 or even 8-8 with bad luck. If they can split with Denver and SD then all should be good! :)

Denver
SD
Denver
Wash--
Oak--the only two games that won't be a dog fight.
Indy
SD

Really don't think he played well yesterday? Or were you not able to watch? (fine either way.. just curious)

Just watched the game. Smith look very comfortable in this offense and confident in the pocket. Every movement and decision are crisp. I haven't seen this level of confident from Smith with us. Again, stats wise it wasn't much, but he threw some really good passes to Bowe, Avery, McCluster and Charles. With a few to McGrath. No TD to show for it, but those are good 240yds. The level of confident from Reid to Smith showed in that last Chiefs drive where they needed to convert that critical 1st down, with about 2 minutes left, to keep the drive going. Reid dialed up 2 consecutive pass plays in traffic instead of giving it to Charles. Smith completed the first pass. And the second one was a quick one to Bowe that would have converted a 3rd&4 had he caught and hang on to the ball.

There was a few off throws that was pressured and on scrambles, and that INT that seems to be in the middle of Bow and McCluster getting held by the Texans. But for most of the game he was very crisp.

Get out of here with this "watching the actual game" nonsense.
Originally posted by captveg:
Get out of here with this "watching the actual game" nonsense.

NFL Rewind on condensed. Saved me the eye sore of looking at Big Fat Red on the sideline
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
They are not silly, they were used to provide contrast to the stance that 49ers fan should only be interested in what benefits the 9ers the most which is obviously a very undefined position. I also said I could give numerous other situations that could paint that point, but my job isn't to list them all it's to provide an easy to understand counter.

Like another poster said, you do not support the Niners in a vacuum. It's lazy to say the chiefs have no other impact to us than a draft position, many things they do whether good or bad can have a greater impact than a ~16 position draft position swing.

But the greater point that I really care about is that a 16 position draft spot swing is not large enough to out weigh ones rooting interest in another Football team and I hold no malice against any fan who wishes to openly support the chiefs, Reid and Smith. I think the circumstances of the chiefs last season, the A. Smith situation, and Ried's departure from the Eagles creates a dynamic that is easy for Americans to rally behind and support and something that easily out weighs the importance of 16 draft positions.

I will leave in saying that it is quite conceivable that a 9er who wants the chiefs to be more successful than 8-8 could quite easily be consider a better 49er fan by their other actions than those who only care for 8-8.

Two things:

• I really don't care what you guys root for, as we all have no actual impact on the outcome. We aren't changing what's happening. As long as nobody is being a dick to each other, root away.
  • The last sentence in your post is just ridiculous. You don't know anything about any of these guys. Some guys won't admit it, but they rooted for Alex to fail regardless of the pick, for reasons unknown. Some guys won't admit they took Harbaugh's decision to bench and trade Alex to heart and are rooting for the Chiefs like its their new favorite team. Or are at least very conflicted about it. I can see both sides of the argument on the pick and the wins, and why its important to a football fan. But rooting for the chiefs to win over an improved draft pick does not ma e someone a better fan. Its football, not becoming a martyr. Lol

I am not mad at you guys for rooting for him to win. Heck, I'm rooting for him to do well. I like the guy.

I think you miss understood my last sentence, It had the opposite effect of what I was going for. The point of the sentence was to illustrate that this draft position vs chiefs success is not a line in the sand that decides who is a better fan. I was trying to say that its conceivable that die hard 9ers fans can be on both positions. Obviously rooting for an 8-8 record is totally acceptable, I even have no problem with people who just flat out want the Chiefs to go 0-16. I do have a problem for anybody who would root for the chiefs to go 7-9 for hopefully obvious reason, reasons I hope are not silly or ridiculous.

Your right, there are no points to fandom and there is no emotional or physical currency to how much one person is a fan as opposed to another. I may be a lesser person but I have no idea what "a better fan" means. In the end, we all answer to ourselves, and rooting for or against the chiefs should in general circumstance hold no bearing on the level of commitment to the 9ers organization.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Two things:

I think you miss understood my last sentence, It had the opposite effect of what I was going for. The point of the sentence was to illustrate that this draft position vs chiefs success is not a line in the sand that decides who is a better fan. I was trying to say that its conceivable that die hard 9ers fans can be on both positions. Obviously rooting for an 8-8 record is totally acceptable, I even have no problem with people who just flat out want the Chiefs to go 0-16. I do have a problem for anybody who would root for the chiefs to go 7-9 for hopefully obvious reason, reasons I hope are not silly or ridiculous.

Your right, there are no points to fandom and there is no emotional or physical currency to how much one person is a fan as opposed to another. I may be a lesser person but I have no idea what "a better fan" means. In the end, we all answer to ourselves, and rooting for or against the chiefs should in general circumstance hold no bearing on the level of commitment to the 9ers organization.

anyone who wants them to better than 8-8 is not totally invested in being a niner fan.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:Some guys won't admit they took Harbaugh's decision to bench and trade Alex to heart and are rooting for the Chiefs like its their new favorite team. Or are at least very conflicted about it.

This is very true. I think a lot of people, and I include myself in this group, think Harbaugh made a somewhat dishonorable decision with the way he handled the situation last year, and as good as he's made this team I don't think that gives him a free pass. I'm not cheering for the Chiefs like they're my new favorite team, but I definitely have them at #2 (similar to how I cheered for T.O. and the Eagles for his years there). Alex deserves good thigns for the s**t he put up with here for so many years, and I love to see good guys get ahead.

The fact of the matter is, the team was the Super Bowl favorite prior to Alex getting hurt last year, and they benched him and failed to win the big one. If the Niners can't win it all this year, I'd love for Alex to do it just to prove everyone who said "you can't win a super bowl with him" wrong.
Originally posted by susweel:
anyone who wants them to better than 8-8 is not totally invested in being a niner fan.

That's patently ridiculous. There are a lot more factors at play in someone's love of a team/sport than a 5-10 spot swing of a single draft pick.

As someone mentioned before: If your options are Chiefs 8-8 but 10 of their players suffer career-ending injuries, or Chiefs 16-0 and there are no injuries, in your world TRUE Niner fans would take 8-8. It's a hyperbolic situation, sure, but you can't make black-and-white statements like that - they are, as I said, ridiculous.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:

That's patently ridiculous. There are a lot more factors at play in someone's love of a team/sport than a 5-10 spot swing of a single draft pick.

As someone mentioned before: If your options are Chiefs 8-8 but 10 of their players suffer career-ending injuries, or Chiefs 16-0 and there are no injuries, in your world TRUE Niner fans would take 8-8. It's a hyperbolic situation, sure, but you can't make black-and-white statements like that - they are, as I said, ridiculous.

lol I dont care if their team had 50 career ending injuries. Why would that effect me as a NINER fan ?

lol I dont care if their team had 50 career ending injuries. Why would that effect me as a NINER fan ?

We don't root for players on any team to get injured on this board sus, so leave this talk alone.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

We don't root for players on any team to get injured on this board sus, so leave this talk alone.

Im not rooting for anyone to get injured rubs I was simply asking a question.
[ Edited by susweel on Oct 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM ]
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Oh the humanity
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:Some guys won't admit they took Harbaugh's decision to bench and trade Alex to heart and are rooting for the Chiefs like its their new favorite team. Or are at least very conflicted about it.

This is very true. I think a lot of people, and I include myself in this group, think Harbaugh made a somewhat dishonorable decision with the way he handled the situation last year, and as good as he's made this team I don't think that gives him a free pass. I'm not cheering for the Chiefs like they're my new favorite team, but I definitely have them at #2 (similar to how I cheered for T.O. and the Eagles for his years there). Alex deserves good thigns for the s**t he put up with here for so many years, and I love to see good guys get ahead.

The fact of the matter is, the team was the Super Bowl favorite prior to Alex getting hurt last year, and they benched him and failed to win the big one. If the Niners can't win it all this year, I'd love for Alex to do it just to prove everyone who said "you can't win a super bowl with him" wrong.

Man, I am in 100% agreement with you on both points. I have been a Niner fan for a couple decades and will remain a fan. Heck, I married a goldrush girl.
But, I am an Alex Smith fan as well, and appreciate the way he played the game of football as well as the way handle the business of it. Honorably, and he held up his end to the commitment of it.
I do not believe a player should lose his spot due to injury, especially one who was playing at the level Alex was playing. I am very hopeful that he and the Chiefs continue to win. They are not in our conference, and I don't care much about the gamble of a draft pick. Its not like we are not in a great spot when it comes to future picks.
"The grass isn't always greener on the other side"

I do believe that is part of the allure that makes the chiefs a root for the underdog type story. The culmination of a team with a bunch of talent that was wasted, a coach cast from philly, and a QB who was benched for potential makes them the type of team you root for when it doesn't conflict your other rooting interest. That is the heart of the debate, does the draft position quantify as an important rooting interest and I say within current context it does not make it.

Now if it had more gravity, say between a second draft pick or no draft pick then I'm completely on the side of 8-8. But once the chiefs nullify the second draft option I would then root for them just like I root for any team playing the Seahawks.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Oct 21, 2013 at 1:20 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone