LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

they're going to play the Broncos soon. I think the Pats as well.

They'll probably lose those.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The major change on the field really is Alex and not turning it over. They aren't massively different except at QB. He really does have a lot to do with it.

So the defense was also playing at this level last season, correct?

The defense plays much, much better when you don't turn it over and put them in a hole like at the 5 yard line 1st and goal. If you have to go a long field your defense will of course look better. So Alex not turning it over makes any defense better. He did the same with us. He no doubt made our defense better too.

If their defense was such a powerhouse btw why were they 2 - 14 last year?.....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 20, 2013 at 10:42 PM ]
The defense plays much, much better when you don't turn it over and put them in a hole like at the 5 yard line 1st and goal. If you have to go a long field your defense will of course look better. So Alex not turning it over makes any defense better. He did the same with us. He no doubt made our defense better too.

A lot of injuries, terrible coaching. Also you have guys like Poe who have stepped up big time this season and developed into high quality players, you have free agent additions such as Sean Smith, also, not having a member of the defense involved in a murder suicide is always a positive for a team.

I said last year that they were the best 2 win team ever. They had a lot of close games and could easily have won 6 or 7 games in spite of all of their issues. So no, this isn't some bad roster that Alex Smith is carrying with a Trent Dilfer like QB rating, this is an outstanding defense that is healthy, a team that is receiving great coaching and is believing in itself. Alex has done decently and has made plays but let's be reality, he has far less to do with them winning 7 games then the defense racking up turnovers at an insane pace, just like they did against Houston today. Alex blew a huge 4th down conversion in the game when he had a guy wide open, the defense came and bailed him out by causing a fumble. KC will go as far as their defense and run game takes them.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 20, 2013 at 10:46 PM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:
justin smith said stats are for losers. QB's are single handedly judged on their w-l record. People are going to argue that Eli Manning is a HOF. While I laugh at that, he has won two superbowls even though he sucks big time but is a very good playoff QB.

Wait until that offense is actually required to move the ball and score against an opponent like Denver. Bottomline, Smith has had some pretty bad games, the defense had some key turnovers that bailed them out, but at some point that isn't enough......sometimes you'll need the QB to get it done in a big game, see the 2011 NFC Championship Game for further details.

The last time we played a solid team we lost.

A lot of injuries, terrible coaching. Also you have guys like Poe who have stepped up big time this season and developed into high quality players, you have free agent additions such as Sean Smith, also, not having a member of the defense involved in a murder suicide is always a positive for a team.

I said last year that they were the best 2 win team ever. They had a lot of close games and could easily have won 6 or 7 games in spite of all of their issues. So no, this isn't some bad roster that Alex Smith is carrying with a Trent Dilfer like QB rating, this is an outstanding defense that is healthy, a team that is receiving great coaching and is believing in itself. Alex has done decently and has made plays but let's be reality, he has far less to do with them winning 7 games then the defense racking up turnovers at an insane pace, just like they did against Houston today. Alex blew a huge 4th down conversion in the game when he had a guy wide open, the defense came and bailed him out by causing a fumble. KC will go as far as their defense and run game takes them.

Minus Alex Smith and with last years QB this team is not 7 - 0. No way.
If they paid out at the half mile pole I'd be a millionaire.
Originally posted by jreff22:
The last time we played a solid team we lost.

Are you trying to make a point here or what? Equivocate the 49ers early season struggles that they appear to have overcome after being decimated with injury and comparing them to a KC team playing a last-place schedule and still barely pulling games out thanks to the defense.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
. His QBR is 20 points lower than it was with the 49ers last season and completion percentage is around 56%. I can't say I've been impressed with his play lately. His QB rating started up in the 90s and has basically been dropping every game.

justin smith said stats are for losers. QB's are single handedly judged on their w-l record.

While I agree with that statement. A #1 Pick as a QB should of put up amazing stats, ala Peyton. Alex never did, and likely wont ever.

26-5-1 is an amazing stat
The major change on the field really is Alex and not turning it over. They aren't massively different except at QB. He really does have a lot to do with it.

So the defense was also playing at this level last season, correct? They had 21 takeaways all of last season, they are up to 18 just this season alone.

I wonder what would have happened last season had they averaged 3 takeaways a game too.

how much is the increased takeaways due to getting ahead of teams rather than being behind them, or having a qb that wont turn the ball over giving the defense more leave to take chances?
Originally posted by hofer36:
how much is the increased takeaways due to getting ahead of teams rather than being behind them, or having a qb that wont turn the ball over giving the defense more leave to take chances?
Last year the Chiefs had 21 takeaways.

2011-Chiefs defense had 33 takeaways
2010-Chiefs defense had 32 takeaways

This year so far they have 18 takeaways. Seems like last year was an aberration and this defense is simply playing at its previous level and beyond.

Last year the Chiefs had 21 takeaways.

2011-Chiefs defense had 33 takeaways
2010-Chiefs defense had 32 takeaways

This year so far they have 18 takeaways. Seems like last year was an aberration and this defense is simply playing at its previous level and beyond.

It's because the Chiefs offense was so bad last season. With the Chiefs frequently trailing, the opposing offenses could take their time driving down the field without relying on too many risky plays.
Originally posted by fastforward:
It's because the Chiefs offense was so bad last season. With the Chiefs frequently trailing, the opposing offenses could take their time driving down the field without relying on too many risky plays.

They weren't nearly as strong in the secondary last season, that is why they want out and acquired Sean Smith. They improved quite a bit through free agency, plus last season they had the whole Belcher drama to go through with him going nucking futs and shooting his baby mama and himself. You had potato coaching, terrible injuries, and yeah, Cassel did play pretty bad last season, but largely this same defense had been part of a 7 game winning team in 2011 and 10 game winning team in 2010 with Cassel at QB playing a game-managing role. The talent has been there for awhile.
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
. His QBR is 20 points lower than it was with the 49ers last season and completion percentage is around 56%. I can't say I've been impressed with his play lately. His QB rating started up in the 90s and has basically been dropping every game.

justin smith said stats are for losers. QB's are single handedly judged on their w-l record.

While I agree with that statement. A #1 Pick as a QB should of put up amazing stats, ala Peyton. Alex never did, and likely wont ever.

26-5-1 is an amazing stat

And the 49ers and Chiefs Defense were and are legit, reason why we and Chiefs are winning so much. Alex helps a bit, but he is a bust as a 1st overall pick.
Solid QB who showed he is not a bust the last two seasons. Stuck it up the rear ends of his critics and is now 7-0....cool story.
This statistic did not occur to me until I saw this thread title. wow.
Share 49ersWebzone