LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by dj43:
I agree the Broncos, Texans and Colts will be big tests. Not so sure about the Chargers although they are playing much better this year than last.

As to the Eagles game; it appeared to me that everything the Chiefs were doing in that game was geared to just holding onto the ball, burning up clock and keeping the Eagles offense off the field. I felt they could have been more aggressive in both alignments and passing choices but they chose to place emphasis on possession rather than trying for longer gains. Walsh strategy: Get a lead. Sit on the ball as long as you could. People forget how "conservative" Walsh would get with a lead. I remember seeing Montana get 200 yards in a great first half and thinking he might go for 400. Then the second half started and he only threw the ball 5 or 6 times and ended up with 240 yards...but they won.

I agree with you on that typical Walsh game plan - throw early, get a decent lead and then burn the clock - it's classic football. But actually, Montana had an awful lot of plus 300 yard games. He's 9th on the all time list of the number of over 300 yards passing in a game for a career.

Yes, Joe did have a lot of 300 yard games. He played a long time with some outstanding receivers. However, I believe I read someplace that he was about .500 in 300 yard games. Even now, the guy with the most passing yards is often the loser.

A lot of those yards were YAC yards. Walsh emphasized getting the ball in the playmakers hands ASAP and letting them do the work. We regularly had RBs who were top 20 in the league in receiving.....

Watching Jamaal Charles being a dual threat with Alex reminds me a lot of the old school Niner RBs.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
I'm worried about Alex getting injured in this game. KC's OL will very likely be manhandled again, and we know Gregg Williams' history.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Difference maker is definitely Andy Reid and Alex Smith. Mistakes have been minimal and they're pretty healthy as of right now.

You can't argue with that. Defense is basically the same as last year - good. But the offense is efficient, fairly productive and not giving things away. Smith's numbers have been rising each game - he's getting better every week. Like I say, it's gotten to the point where I'm no longer rooting for them to win. I want them to lose some games now to sweeten up the position of that second round pick the Niners will get and they are entering a more challenging part of their schedule coming up.

You sure you've been rooting for them? Last time I checked, you said their fans were butthurt over something...just couldn't figure out what it was you were talking about.
Originally posted by KoolBeans:
You sure you've been rooting for them? Last time I checked, you said their fans were butthurt over something...just couldn't figure out what it was you were talking about.

Sigh... This really does get kind of annoying going round and round with these obvious things. I'm not a Chiefs fan. I'm a Niner fan. I've been rooting for the Chiefs to get to 8 wins because the Niners get a 2nd round pick. Now, I'd like them to lose some games so the Niners get the most possible value out of that second round pick. Get it? 8-8 would be optimum, but I don't expect the Chiefs to lose 8 out of the next 12 games. At this point, I think the most realistic thing to hope for would be 9-7 or 10-6. That probably gets the Niners a pick in the low 20's or high teens at best. And I think that's possible because the Chiefs are going into a much tougher set of opponents over the rest of the season. They've got two against the Broncos and two against the Chargers. They're playing the Texans and Sunday they've got the Titans which will be a test. But honestly, I'll be fine with any second round pick the Niners get out of the deal - I feel great about Alex Smith making all those KC haters who were so dismissive of him when the trade came down eat their words.

And, is it really true that you "just couldn't figure out" what I was talking about? Really? Here's an idea - try to be honest. You know exactly what I'm referring to. Some Niner fans are still bitter about the QB change last season. I don't have a big problem with that other than thinking it's just useless negative energy.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
A lot of those yards were YAC yards. Walsh emphasized getting the ball in the playmakers hands ASAP and letting them do the work. We regularly had RBs who were top 20 in the league in receiving.....

Watching Jamaal Charles being a dual threat with Alex reminds me a lot of the old school Niner RBs.

I watched every single Joe Montana game. It wasn't just dinking and dunking. Walsh had him taking at least three or four shots down the field every game, sometimes more.

I watched every single Joe Montana game. It wasn't just dinking and dunking. Walsh had him taking at least three or four shots down the field every game, sometimes more.

I also watched every single Joe Montana game. When the defense would creep up closer to the LOS to stop the dinks and dunks they would take shots. But the majority of those yards were YAC.....

I also watched every single Joe Montana game. When the defense would creep up closer to the LOS to stop the dinks and dunks they would take shots. But the majority of those yards were YAC.....

This...Plus it helps that he was throwing to the likes of JR, JT, and Roger Craig. Our HBs and FBs caught a lot passes for a reason, and it wasn't because they were going on 10-15 yard routes. Young had Ricky Waters catching for a bunch of yards out of the backfield.

It's easy to see what's going on here. This guy is trying to discredit anything that AS is doing in his short time in Reid's offense and making excuses for our current QB's struggles in his 3rd year in the same offense. SMH
[ Edited by KoolBeans on Oct 6, 2013 at 6:46 AM ]

It's easy to see what's going on here. This guy is trying to discredit anything that AS is doing in his short time in Reid's offense and making excuses for our current QB's struggles in his 3rd year in the same offense. SMH

And?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think they'll just be able to win 8 games.
Originally posted by English:
And?

and look at these numbers...

Roger Craig

Ricky Watters

Garrison Hearst

Tom Rathman

Frank Gore

Frank Gore hasn't even reached 500 yards in a single season and Tom Rathman 616 yards. You don't see that kind of production from a fullback nowadays.
[ Edited by KoolBeans on Oct 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM ]

This...Plus it helps that he was throwing to the likes of JR, JT, and Roger Craig. Our HBs and FBs caught a lot passes for a reason, and it wasn't because they were going on 10-15 yard routes. Young had Ricky Waters catching for a bunch of yards out of the backfield.

For my money the duo of Rice and Taylor is one of the best wide receiving teams in history and Craig is the first running back in history to go 1000/1000.

But really, you guys need to stop pretending you can read minds. I can only speak for myself and if you're referring to me, I'm telling you honestly that you're flat-out wrong. As far as I'm concerned, Alex Smith is still playing efficient, smart, relatively mistake-free football just like he did for the last couple of years under Harbaugh for the Niners. What kills me about some of the conversation on Webzone is this tendency to call an explanation an excuse. Years ago, when I would point out that Smith didn't have continuity in an offensive system or didn't have quality receivers or didn't have good protection, people would call that making excuses. I thought these observations were legitimate explanations for what was happening on the field. Now today, Niner fans have a QB with 15 starts under his belt. That's an observation, a fact, an explanation for tendencies we might see like indecision, impatience in the pocket or the inability to see open receivers, not an excuse. It's an explanation. Why even make an excuse or call something an excuse? So, some of us are comparing a QB with 8 years of experience in the NFL running a system he's already pretty familiar with to a QB with 15 starts. That's all that's going on here. I don't even know why I would take any time to try to discredit Alex Smith, a player I've really liked since he began. In fact, although I'd love the Niners to get as much value out of that 2nd rounder as possible, I'm not going to sweat it because the other side of it is that I enjoy the fact that Smith is doing well. I'm not a Chiefs fan, but how can you not like watching a great guy like Alex Smith do well? Please give it a rest. I'm just being honest about this. I'm not the enemy or the boogieman or whatever it is you think I am. Really.
"Frank Gore hasn't even reached 500 yards in a single season and Tom Rathman 616 yards. You don't see that kind of production from a fullback nowadays."

Rathman would probably be one of the first to point out that the Niner teams he played on from '86 to '94 were some of the greatest in the franchise's history and some were among the greatest in NFL history. The Niner teams Gore started with weren't even close. So, I don't think comparisons like that are very fair to Gore.
marcus cooper touchdown haha
"Frank Gore hasn't even reached 500 yards in a single season and Tom Rathman 616 yards. You don't see that kind of production from a fullback nowadays."

Rathman would probably be one of the first to point out that the Niner teams he played on from '86 to '94 were some of the greatest in the franchise's history and some were among the greatest in NFL history. The Niner teams Gore started with weren't even close. So, I don't think comparisons like that are very fair to Gore.

In no way was that a knock on Frank Gore, I was merely pointing out and challenging your comment about dinking and dunking. It's the staple of the WCO and you keep trying to use it to discredit how KC is using it.
Dinking and dunking was a term used by people who wanted to discredit Walsh. Smith and Reid should be honored to be demeaned in the same light!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone