Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i really hope alex smith writes a book when he retires. i think it would be a pretty interesting read to get his thoughts on all the situations hes been put in

With his age (27) and consistent good play, he could be a starting QB for another 7-10 years, so it might be a while before we get to read such a book.

Halfway through the book, the publisher will switch authors and put in an author who is more exciting and has better upside.

LOL

+1 LOL
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
No. Those numbers are NOT answered by rule changes. In that same year, Dan Marino averaged 317 yds/game, had 48 TDs 17 INTs, and lost the SB to Joe's paltry WCO team.

Except Marino and Fouts were the exceptions to the rule. The Niners were a top 10 passing team just about every year under Montana. We were not anymore run balanced then the average team.

The point was that you COULD put up big passing numbers in 1984 if you chose to play that way. The WCO was/is a system that holds onto the ball, wears out the other team's defense and keeps the defense fresh to do its thing. The TOP is just as important as personnel is to having a "good" defense. In short, WCO is very defense-friendly...for their own defense.

Huh? The Joe Montana was a top passer during those years. You are assuming Walsh would have never adjusted to this era and would have still kept that run-pass ratio. Back then, teams that had better QB's had better passing numbers. Joe Montana was one of those QB's which was why 49ers always was a top passing team. They just weren't crazy with it as they are now due to the new rules and 3-5 set WR's.

Walsh wouldn't have kept the same balance and the passing would have been more explosive. Harbaugh had direct contact and conversations with Walsh. Harbaugh has that balance mentality but it is still adjusted to today's game.

A coach plays to the strength of this QB. Alex's strength is not to be a dynamic passer.
From what I have read of Walsh, I don't think he would have changed much. He would certainly have tweaked some things here and there but I do not believe he would have gone away from the same blend.

I disagree that Harbaugh has a balance mentality. He is a run first coach, and as he has demonstrated with Kaepernick, when it comes time to pass, he wants to throw the ball down the field. Harbaugh uses a lot sets and gimmicks but he is a power running coach first and foremost. He has never shown a willingness to do what Alex Smith is now doing in KC. He tolerated Smith for as long as he had to but when he had the chance, he kicked him to the curb and brought in the guy with the cannon.

I would suggest that Harbaugh could make Kaepernick's matriculation to a higher level of efficiency would be expedited by a dose of WCO passing but Harbaugh/Roman clearly do not prefer to do that.
From what I have read of Walsh, I don't think he would have changed much. He would certainly have tweaked some things here and there but I do not believe he would have gone away from the same blend.

I disagree that Harbaugh has a balance mentality. He is a run first coach, and as he has demonstrated with Kaepernick, when it comes time to pass, he wants to throw the ball down the field. Harbaugh uses a lot sets and gimmicks but he is a power running coach first and foremost. He has never shown a willingness to do what Alex Smith is now doing in KC. He tolerated Smith for as long as he had to but when he had the chance, he kicked him to the curb and brought in the guy with the cannon.

I would suggest that Harbaugh could make Kaepernick's matriculation to a higher level of efficiency would be expedited by a dose of WCO passing but Harbaugh/Roman clearly do not prefer to do that.

Good points...but, of course, I agree! Kaepernick has not developed enough touch for the WCO yet so it may be understandable that they are staying with the run first approach. He was developing touch but I think the two down games rattled him a bit. He will get back to it...he's a smart guy. Most your QBs lack touch when they come into the league and more so when you can throw the ball though walls! Just ask Elway...took him years!

Edit--forgot...Walsh would just give up his entire system because...he'd won too many Super Bowls with it?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/9/28/4778778/alex-smith-breakdown-easy-throw-kansas-city-chiefs-philadelphia-eagles-game

Nice breakdown. It points out why Smith's record over the past 30 games or so is so outstanding. When he has to make a throw, he does.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Good points...but, of course, I agree! Kaepernick has not developed enough touch for the WCO yet so it may be understandable that they are staying with the run first approach. He was developing touch but I think the two down games rattled him a bit. He will get back to it...he's a smart guy. Most your QBs lack touch when they come into the league and more so when you can throw the ball though walls! Just ask Elway...took him years!

Edit--forgot...Walsh would just give up his entire system because...he'd won too many Super Bowls with it?
If CK can make it past the Houston game, he will have some relatively easy games to work on touch and working through his progressions. Let's hope he is a quick study because there are still some rugged games ahead. Somehow the 49ers need to close the gap on Seattle so they don't have to go up there again. I think the team has been psyched out by that place.
Originally posted by Method:
i really hope alex smith writes a book when he retires. i think it would be a pretty interesting read to get his thoughts on all the situations hes been put in

With his age (27) and consistent good play, he could be a starting QB for another 7-10 years, so it might be a while before we get to read such a book.

Halfway through the book, the publisher will switch authors and put in an author who is more exciting and has better upside.

LOL

+1 LOL

+2
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:

LOL

+1 LOL

+2

lol 299 pg biography

Free agency, salary cap. It's nice to think you can have an elite defense and a powerful running game while paying a qb 20 mil a year but the mathematics of the cap are going to catch up to you. I don't see a team with a Super Bowl winning franchise qb that was able to keep their identity. Even the most conservative smash mouthed coaches went in the direction of the air attack.

I think what you guys are missing is that in the 80's our talent level got better or remained just as good thru out our dynasty but in today's league your surrounding talent gets worse because you just can't afford to pay everyone and maintain a complete team.
What if we hired Reid instead of Harbaugh? Would he have had better success with our team considering how quickly he turned KC around? It seems like Harbaugh has a tough time against veteran coaches and Reid with his familiarity with them would have made the difference. The teams are so similar but it looks like Reid's offense is further along at this point than Harbaugh's after week 4.
If CK can make it past the Houston game, he will have some relatively easy games to work on touch and working through his progressions. Let's hope he is a quick study because there are still some rugged games ahead. Somehow the 49ers need to close the gap on Seattle so they don't have to go up there again. I think the team has been psyched out by that place.

This is a great point...past Houston, and even in Houston, the 9ers have some breathing room. Teams will still be sky high to kill the Harbaugh juggernaut but their defenses will be suspect against Kaepernick and Gore. Don't see the offense playing as poorly again as they did against Seattle and the Colts. New Orleans, Tennessee and Carolina are top ten in fewest points given up, so they won't be walk overs, but those stats may be skewed...I hope! After playing the 9ers they should be lower.

As for playing in Seattle...I almost hope they play there at the end of the year so they can get the monkey off their backs! To be a great team you have to overcome home field advantage and some bad home field calls.

Oops...wrong thread! Go niners...er...go Alex!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:46 AM ]
Originally posted by KoolBeans:
What if we hired Reid instead of Harbaugh? Would he have had better success with our team considering how quickly he turned KC around? It seems like Harbaugh has a tough time against veteran coaches and Reid with his familiarity with them would have made the difference. The teams are so similar but it looks like Reid's offense is further along at this point than Harbaugh's after week 4.

I think it would be a little different if KC played GB, IND, and SEA. Harbaugh is just fine.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think it would be a little different if KC played GB, IND, and SEA. Harbaugh is just fine.

That's the thing though, Harbaugh didn't play those teams in his first 4 games as the 9ers coach and struggled against good veteran coaches his first year.

Edit: He played SEA but it was a different team than it is now.
[ Edited by KoolBeans on Oct 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:

LOL

+1 LOL

+2

lol 299 pg biography

LOL

WHY DID YOU LEAVE NORV???

Written by Alex Smith
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

LOL

WHY DID YOU LEAVE NORV???

Written by Alex Smith

Chapter 7

Stabbed in the back by a wolverine.