LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
It needs improvement but I would not call it horrendous. Brandon Albert and Jon Asomoah are Pro Bowlers. However, LG has been a problem due to injuries. Return to full health for Jeff Allen will help a lot. #1 overall pick Eric Fisher has struggled but has also shown all the tools to become a top level OT. Right now he is learning a new position. (he played OLT in college and now is at ORT) As he gains experience his play will pick up. Andy Reid has helped them out by calling a lot of quick pass plays that do not require pass protection to be held for more than 2.5 seconds. Alex is the perfect QB for that role as he reads defensive alignments well and has been making excellent adjustments to protection.

For all that they have struggled in some situations, they have also opened holes for Charles and given Smith reasonable, not great protection. The arrow is pointing up for that unit.

I do struggle to agree with this. The OL has been far more horrendous than good. Very unimpressed with the OGs so far, and Fisher looks like a 6th rounder. Of course, it's early, and I won't condemn them. They must play better though, or the losses and potential QB injury will show itself.

The run blocks are hit and miss... sometimes clogged up entirely, and sometimes quite good.

eh, we are just questioning degrees. The OL definitely needs improvement. I read an article, I think on NFL, that called Fisher a 6th rounder. IMO, he looks a lot like Anthony Davis did his rookie year.

Whatever the level they are at now, they will have to improve when they get to Denver and Houston.

I think Davis was better, but not so much so that it is unreasonable to think Fisher could be a stud next season. I'm more concerned about the interior line than the tackles.
alex smith gets a chance to exorcise some demons with the giants coming up next..same for colin kaepernick with the rams up next..i hope both come out winners
Originally posted by hofer36:
alex smith gets a chance to exorcise some demons with the giants coming up next..same for colin kaepernick with the rams up next..i hope both come out winners

Absolutely.
Originally posted by vaden:
I doubt the Chiefs will finish with a better record. Their 3-0 start is very misleading. Dallas and Philly beat themselves more than KC beat them. KC's defense is very good, much better than I expected, but their OL has been horrendous for most of the last two games. Unless it drastically improves I'm sorry to say Alex will probably finish this season on IR.

It needs improvement but I would not call it horrendous. Brandon Albert and Jon Asomoah are Pro Bowlers. However, LG has been a problem due to injuries. Return to full health for Jeff Allen will help a lot. #1 overall pick Eric Fisher has struggled but has also shown all the tools to become a top level OT. Right now he is learning a new position. (he played OLT in college and now is at ORT) As he gains experience his play will pick up. Andy Reid has helped them out by calling a lot of quick pass plays that do not require pass protection to be held for more than 2.5 seconds. Alex is the perfect QB for that role as he reads defensive alignments well and has been making excellent adjustments to protection.

For all that they have struggled in some situations, they have also opened holes for Charles and given Smith reasonable, not great protection. The arrow is pointing up for that unit.

DJ, although they may not be horrendous talent-wise and potential-wise, they have played very, very poorly in pass protection. I would say pretty close to horrendous at times. Smith was absolutely battered in the Dallas game and got lit up constantly. The Eagles didn't get to him quite as much but he still was running for his life on a fair amount of plays.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by vaden:
I doubt the Chiefs will finish with a better record. Their 3-0 start is very misleading. Dallas and Philly beat themselves more than KC beat them. KC's defense is very good, much better than I expected, but their OL has been horrendous for most of the last two games. Unless it drastically improves I'm sorry to say Alex will probably finish this season on IR.

DJ, although they may not be horrendous talent-wise and potential-wise, they have played very, very poorly in pass protection. I would say pretty close to horrendous at times. Smith was absolutely battered in the Dallas game and got lit up constantly. The Eagles didn't get to him quite as much but he still was running for his life on a fair amount of plays.

Fortunately for Alex after having Kwame and Chilo, the bad line protection was not as disconcerting for him. He's seen it before and can deal with it moderately well.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
SF vs KC in the Super Bowl! Would be a real hoot!

I would LOVE to see that game...and what a story it would make. I doubt it'll happen...but wow.

the karma of how the fans treated alex smith and how this organization treated alex over the years makes me not want to see that game. the way were playing now it looks like KC has a better shot of getting there than we do unless we get going asap
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Agree with much of this, but not the bolded.

Care to explain how Dallas beat themselves? Their only turnover (Romo fumble) didn't generate any KC points. How bout Philly? Was Vick not harassed and throwing INTs to KC defenders? Shall we just forget that they have a job to do and did it? Could we say that KC wanted it more in both games and made the clutch plays when they needed to put the game away? I don't see why there is need here to try and diminish the Chiefs' success by stating the bolded.

Dallas had two turnovers, one of which led to KC's winning fg. Of course the Chiefs deserve some credit for creating those turnovers and not allowing any themselves, but overall Dallas looked like the slightly better team to me and very likely would've won without the turnovers. As for the Philly game, the -5 turnover differential was far more Philly's fault than anything else, imo, and KC did a very poor job of capitalizing on those turnovers.

KC's style certainly benefits their turnover margin, but there's still enough luck and unpredictability involved that this can't be relied upon every game. Right now I think they'd be in big trouble against any good team if they don't get a +2 or more turnover differential. I'm rooting for them, but also want to temper my expectations. Call me crazy, but I predict they'll lose to the Giants.
To me the Chiefs look like a team that's capable of beating a bad team that they should beat on Sunday, and capable of hanging with a good team to give themselves a good chance to win. That basically describe a 8-8 to 10-6 team. Are they 11-5 to 14-2 category-- I'm not so sure.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
To me the Chiefs look like a team that's capable of beating a bad team that they should beat on Sunday, and capable of hanging with a good team to give themselves a good chance to win. That basically describe a 8-8 to 10-6 team. Are they 11-5 to 14-2 category-- I'm not so sure.

Agree. Predicting 10-6, should be enough for a wc.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by hofer36:

Absolutely.

Chiefs' Eric Fisher determined to bounce back after miserable half at Philadelphia

By the time the first half of the Chiefs' 26-16 win over Philadelphia was over Thursday, you could understand if Eric Fisher was a little discouraged. Sure, the Chiefs led by 10 points. But Fisher, the rookie right tackle who was taken No. 1 overall in April's NFL Draft, committed one holding penalty and was beaten for a sack and two hurries by Connor Barwin and Fletcher Cox in 22 first-half passing attempts by quarterback Alex Smith. It was, perhaps, the worst half of Fisher's three-game professional career. Pro Football Focus, which grades every NFL player in every game, assigned Fisher a three-game grade of minus-6.7, which ranks worst on the Chiefs and and 52nd out of 55 NFL tackles who have played 75 percent of their team's snaps. "It's been tough mentally, physically, emotionally," Fisher said of his adjustment to the NFL. "You've just got to keep your composure. There's a lot that comes with this game and you roll with the punches." Fortunately for the Chiefs, Fisher seemed to do just that in the second half against the Eagles. He was called for one more penalty — a hold on Cox during a running play — but didn't allow another sack, hit or hurry in 13 pass attempts.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/24/4504879/chiefs-eric-fisher-determined.html
"chiefs O line is amazing though!!!"
Man this thread slowed down. Where all the punks who we're saying Alex sucks?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Man this thread slowed down. Where all the punks who we're saying Alex sucks?

In our ceaseless chase to bring you the best NFL game preview content anywhere, Audibles is happy to talk with Greg Cosell of NFL Films, and the executive producer of ESPN's NFL Matchup, about football as much as possible. There are few people more qualified to do so — Greg has been with NFL Films since 1979, and he and Steve Sabol invented advanced football analysis on television with the "Matchup" concept, which premiered in 1984. The most important part of his job is the insight he grabs from watching as much or more coach's tape than anyone not actually working for an NFL team. It's this insight we draw heavily upon for our weekly Friday podcasts, which preview the upcoming Sunday and Monday games and review the Thursday night contests.

We'll start with the Kansas City Chiefs' 26-16 Thursday night win over the Philadelphia Eagles, and proceed from there.

You can download the podcast here, or scroll down to play it. Also, we encourage you to subscribe to the Audibles Audio iTunes feed.

A few words of wisdom from Mr. Cosell:

On Alex Smith's limitations and his function in Kansas City's offense: "I think you only go so far with him. Clearly, he's not willing to pull the trigger [on throws] unless it's wide open. We don't know what he's told or how they want to play, but the defense is the strength of their team. So, they're perhaps going to play offense to that strength. But in today's NFL, the way points are scored, and with the emphasis on passing, I think it's hard to be a real contender that way. Can you win nine or 10 games? You can, and it's been done, but it's hard to play that way as your modus operandi week after week."

http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/20/podcast-greg-cosell-nfl-week-3-preview/
Originally posted by pd24:
In our ceaseless chase to bring you the best NFL game preview content anywhere, Audibles is happy to talk with Greg Cosell of NFL Films, and the executive producer of ESPN's NFL Matchup, about football as much as possible. There are few people more qualified to do so — Greg has been with NFL Films since 1979, and he and Steve Sabol invented advanced football analysis on television with the "Matchup" concept, which premiered in 1984. The most important part of his job is the insight he grabs from watching as much or more coach's tape than anyone not actually working for an NFL team. It's this insight we draw heavily upon for our weekly Friday podcasts, which preview the upcoming Sunday and Monday games and review the Thursday night contests.

We'll start with the Kansas City Chiefs' 26-16 Thursday night win over the Philadelphia Eagles, and proceed from there.

You can download the podcast here, or scroll down to play it. Also, we encourage you to subscribe to the Audibles Audio iTunes feed.

A few words of wisdom from Mr. Cosell:

On Alex Smith's limitations and his function in Kansas City's offense: "I think you only go so far with him. Clearly, he's not willing to pull the trigger [on throws] unless it's wide open. We don't know what he's told or how they want to play, but the defense is the strength of their team. So, they're perhaps going to play offense to that strength. But in today's NFL, the way points are scored, and with the emphasis on passing, I think it's hard to be a real contender that way. Can you win nine or 10 games? You can, and it's been done, but it's hard to play that way as your modus operandi week after week."

http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/20/podcast-greg-cosell-nfl-week-3-preview/

Same old crap from Cosell. He evidently missed the passes threaded between defenders last week...and he always seems to miss those doesn't he? So sad that he has to recycle this nonsense. Safe? Yes, Smith plays it safe. But when he needs a third and long? Either runs for a first down or completes an excellent pass for a first down. Why folks still listen to Cosell is...easy to understand...it agrees with their misconceptions.
Share 49ersWebzone