There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

• dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Lot of people ignored the Avery pickup but he was a difference maker in that game.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
I like Bowe over Boldin in that he can get more separation although AB's toughness is hard to dispute. I like the way Avery (over Kyle Williams) has been playing. He and Smith have connected on some key plays. Avery is faster than Williams. Dexter McCluster is a handful out of the slot or the backfield. Junior Hemingway had a couple of key catches the first week. Vernon Davis is a unique threat but winds up blocking a lot of the time. I like Fasano in Reid's WCO a lot.

I just don't like the quality or depth of the 49er WRs right now. Boldin is a #3 on a good team, maybe even #4 in Green Bay. That isn't to say there is a wide gap but I do think the Chiefs have an edge. Of course that all changes when Manningham and Crabtree get back but in the meantime...

Just had to link this post from last Wednesday to the pic below. Sorry. Just had to...
For comparative purposes only, in his biggest season number-wise, Joe Montana AVERAGED 244 yards/game. 26 TDs and 12 INTs. Rating 94.6. Which only goes to prove you don't have to put up huge numbers to win ball games...but I think we all know that.

Montana was a top 10 passer just about every year. You can't let today's numbers skew your view. Put Montana in today's league and his stats would be significantly up.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:
if he takes a 2-14 team to 13-3

he has to be running for MVP, and imo, would win. Basically the same cast, o-linemen was 1st pick (not a playmaker WR or Defensive Stud).

Not how it works. McNair is really the guy who won MVP with pedestrian numbers. When Brady was winning Super Bowls being a "game manager" he finished in the top 3 for MVP voting once. Rodgers or Manning etc etc will go 12-4 and will win going away because of superior numbers.
Lot of people ignored the Avery pickup but he was a difference maker in that game.

Avery has been clutch for Smith on a few conversions in a couple of games this year. Against Dallas and Eagles that I remembered.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Sounds like a fantasy football write up....

Originally posted by socalniner:
Of course fantasy people gonna hate on Smith. Ask any Chief fan what they think. I would love for Kap to have been more conservative especially in the redzone

Originally posted by socalniner:
Of course fantasy people gonna hate on Smith. Ask any Chief fan what they think. I would love for Kap to have been more conservative especially in the redzone

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Not directing this towards you but fantasy football really shouldn't be how people judge their qbs. No turnovers and 330 yards of rushing and passing is an effective output in any game.

It's a great start from Alex and the Chiefs but I wouldn't jump on their bandwagon until they play some division games. Oakland and San Diego may not be the pushovers people initially thought.

Fantasy football or not, those are REAL limitations to Smith's abilities. There is a reason why people still don't consider Smith to be a Super bowl level QB, and it has nothing to do with fantasy stats. He is limited.
Try harder.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I would hope some are not holding back their true feelings regarding Alex.

its ok to say that the only reason you are "rooting" for Alex is for us to get a higher pick....but I won't shy away and say that i'm rooting for Alex and Chiefs just because Alex and the Chiefs.

when Alex threw his first TD, my arms went up and I got excited....and again I don't think its because of the whole 8 game win thing, but i would think that most here have been cheering Alex TDs on Sundays for nearly 8 years now (while sure critiquing along the way)....so it would be a natural reaction to cheer again when he scores....well at least until more time passes from him not being on our team.

if its ALL about our draft picks...then the right approach would be to root like crazy till 8 wins....then unfortunately.. root like crazy they lose the rest of their games..lol. so that the pick is still in the middle of the 2nd and not basically a high 3rd.

but that would invest to much weird confusing emotion so I'm just going to root for them to win their games... I don't like the Broncos, so it would be nice to have the Chiefs throwing a wrench into the NFL's wishes.

I sure hope Afrikan isn't holding back his true feelings about being a full on Chiefs fan.
Just like I won't hold back from banning you.
Montana was a top 10 passer just about every year. You can't let today's numbers skew your view. Put Montana in today's league and his stats would be significantly up.

Montana and Walsh would likely have the same numbers and be winning super bowls. Don't forget, many folks said Montana was a result of the system and anyone could throw all those short passes. Guys like Bradshaw, Marino and Elway were real QBs.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Montana and Walsh would likely have the same numbers and be winning super bowls. Don't forget, many folks said Montana was a result of the system and anyone could throw all those short passes. Guys like Bradshaw, Marino and Elway were real QBs.

Comparing how teams would build and succeed before and after inflated salaries and a salary cap is pointless. In today's NFL once Montana got to franchise status it's a different ballgame.

Guys like Marino and Fouts played Arena League football and we actually had true football team for it's time. We never had an inefficient or even a below average passing attack. Today it's just much easier to play that kind of style with the rule changes and more spread out teams. I see no reason why Montana wouldn't put up better numbers. Everyone does.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM ]
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Joecool:
KC is nothing like HOU. HOU is a high octane offense. KC is a frustrate your ass offense just like SF was two years ago. KCa defense is much better than HOU. One team is sound, the other team can't score enough which is why they get into trouble.

I agree that their offenses are not much alike. Houston has some real scary weapons in the pass game. KC? not so much, no.

Bowe is a beast

Eh... Not seeing it. I know he has been getting bracketed coverage for the most part, so that can help others get open.. but I am not sure he's all that special. Good solid player, but certainly isn't on the level of Andre Johnson, and I would easily take DeAndre Hopkins as my #2 over any other KC receiver. Add in Owen Daniels as better than what Fasano has left. Pkus, those guys (minus the rookie) and QB have been working together for a while in the same system. People underestimate how advantageous that can be.

Its hard to see how talented a WR is with Smith bc he make the more efficient under neath throws that benefit the slots, TEs and RBs. Bowes numbers were obviously gonna suffer but I doubt he is complaining with a 3-0 recorrd and his $56 million contract
Comparing how teams would build and succeed before and after inflated salaries and a salary cap is pointless. In today's NFL once Montana got to franchise status it's a different ballgame.

Guys like Marino and Fouts played Arena League football and we actually had true football team for it's time. We never had an inefficient or even a below average passing attack. Today it's just much easier to play that kind of style with the rule changes and more spread out teams. I see no reason why Montana wouldn't put up better numbers. Everyone does.

So it's ok for you to make a comparison but it's off limits for others? Hmm...OK, got it.

You really think Montana would throw more in a Jumbo package? With a power running game? Or...is it the Chiefs Offense, typical WCO with throws underneath and lots of yak that would give him better stats? Just don't think Montana would forget how to play WCO because it's 2013 rather than 1980.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM ]

Beautiful throw. I miss Alex's smarts and accuracy.
  • dj43
  • Veteran

Yep, that was exactly the way the debate went back then.

Montana's yards/attempt went up when Jerry Rice came into his prime but even then, much of the yardage came after the catch. Walsh just wore out LBs with swing passes to Craig and Rathman and then split them down the middle on slants with only a safety to beat. So much of the second half in the Philly game reminded me of that Walsh offense. Walsh was a big believer in not only spreading the field vertically, but horizontally as well. Once he had the defense all spread out, it became easy to complete 10-15 yard passes that marched right down the field - looked just like that 4th quarter drive that put the final nail in the coffin.
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM ]
Originally posted by KapsDolphinCap:

Beautiful throw. I miss Alex's smarts and accuracy.

Good throw! I'll take Kap's talent and drive. I don't miss Smith, but I really want him to succeed. Such a class act.
So it's ok for you to make a comparison but it's off limits for others? Hmm...OK, got it.

You really think Montana would throw more in a Jumbo package? With a power running game? Or...is it the Chiefs Offense, typical WCO with throws underneath and lots of yak that would give him better stats? Just don't think Montana would forget how to play WCO because it's 2013 rather than 1980.

LOL. I didn't say you couldn't make the comparison just note the differences of the league. Compared to the 80's. Yes, he would. It's a more pass friendly league. QB ratings are higher, passing yardage and passing attempts are up.

Nobody is saying he would throw 50 times a game. Although after winning a Super Bowl and getting the contract that comes with that he'll probably have to.