LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Just to put Alex Smith's performance into perspective, here is a non-biased analysis of his play through 3 weeks from Rotoworld:

Smith threw for no touchdowns or interceptions, in large part because he appeared leery of making any throw at all. Smith attempted only a handful of passes beyond the sticks, and counted on Donnie Avery and Jamaal Charles doing work after the catch to rack up "his" yardage. It was a comically conservative performance, but Smith achieved his desired goal: No turnovers in a game where the Eagles coughed the ball up five times. Smith's play hasn't been easy on the eyes this season, but he's helped guide the Chiefs to a 3-0 record in the safest possible fashion. As weak-armed as ever and allergic to risk, Smith is a low-end QB2 for fantasy purposes.

Not bashing Smith, we all know this is his style. But I was greatly bothered by how many fans were bashing Kap and loving Smith.

Not directing this towards you but fantasy football really shouldn't be how people judge their qbs. No turnovers and 330 yards of rushing and passing is an effective output in any game.

It's a great start from Alex and the Chiefs but I wouldn't jump on their bandwagon until they play some division games. Oakland and San Diego may not be the pushovers people initially thought.
i have no doubt that in today's fantasy football obsessed world, people would hate on Joe Montanna. No, thats not meant to compare Alex to Montanna. Yes, its a commentary on the sad state of affairs of so called "analysis".

Its about wins and losses, dude has been winning for 3 years now, he's been playing winning football for longer but well-- Singletary.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Sounds like a fantasy football write up....

Originally posted by socalniner:
Of course fantasy people gonna hate on Smith. Ask any Chief fan what they think. I would love for Kap to have been more conservative especially in the redzone

Originally posted by socalniner:
Of course fantasy people gonna hate on Smith. Ask any Chief fan what they think. I would love for Kap to have been more conservative especially in the redzone

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Not directing this towards you but fantasy football really shouldn't be how people judge their qbs. No turnovers and 330 yards of rushing and passing is an effective output in any game.

It's a great start from Alex and the Chiefs but I wouldn't jump on their bandwagon until they play some division games. Oakland and San Diego may not be the pushovers people initially thought.

Fantasy football or not, those are REAL limitations to Smith's abilities. There is a reason why people still don't consider Smith to be a Super bowl level QB, and it has nothing to do with fantasy stats. He is limited.
Forgot who said it on the NFL Network right after the game, nor do I remember it word for word, but they said that ASmith is not the type of QB that will thrill you with his play, not the type of QB that will throw for multiple TD's and 300-400 yards but you can't discount the fact that he wins games.

Granted, winning games is a team accomplishment, but they hit it on the nail with that comment.

Fantasy football or not, those are REAL limitations to Smith's abilities. There is a reason why people still don't consider Smith to be a Super bowl level QB, and it has nothing to do with fantasy stats. He is limited.

He was a game away from taking our team to a SB (KW fumbles).

He was winning games for us when he got replaced.

May he be limited, he is doing enough to win games.

Also,

Originally posted by kidash98:
Forgot who said it on the NFL Network right after the game, nor do I remember it word for word, but they said that ASmith is not the type of QB that will thrill you with his play, not the type of QB that will throw for multiple TD's and 300-400 yards but you can't discount the fact that he wins games.

Granted, winning games is a team accomplishment, but they hit it on the nail with that comment.

Again, my criticism of Smith has nothing to do with fantasy numbers. He is limited as a passer and is ultra-conservative. He's proven that this style can win games, but I'm not convinced he can reel off 3 or 4 consecutive playoff wins to win you the big game.

Again, my criticism of Smith has nothing to do with fantasy numbers. He is limited as a passer and is ultra-conservative. He's proven that this style can win games, but I'm not convinced he can reel off 3 or 4 consecutive playoff wins to win you the big game.

It's okay for you to be not convinced as long as those who is paying him are.

And if he keeps winning, even better for us (at least this year re the Draft pick).

They have a Houston feeling to them. Jack of all trades master of none. They'll either get out bullied by a better defensive team or outscored by a better offensive team.

It's okay for you to be not convinced as long as those who is paying him are.

And if he keeps winning, even better for us (at least this year re the Draft pick).

No doubt I'm rooting for them to win 8 games. I want that 2nd round pick. I've been a pro-Alex guy for a very long time, up until the point Kap hit the field. I just think the praise Alex is getting is a bit overstated. There are people here who honestly think we downgraded by going with Kap, and that's crazy IMO.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
They have a Houston feeling to them. Jack of all trades master of none. They'll either get out bullied by a better defensive team or outscored by a better offensive team.

I think that is a accurate comparison.

No doubt I'm rooting for them to win 8 games. I want that 2nd round pick. I've been a pro-Alex guy for a very long time, up until the point Kap hit the field. I just think the praise Alex is getting is a bit overstated. There are people here who honestly think we downgraded by keeping Kap, and that's crazy IMO.

That I can agree with... But enough of the Kaep talk in this thread. He has his own in NT.

Congrats to Alex and the Chiefs for a job well done up to this point. However I would like to see the same enthusiasm and activity from the same posters who frequently follow this thread do the same in the Kaep thread when he performs well. I've been following the Webzone for a month now and it just seems there is more interest in what the Chiefs are doing than our own team especially with our own QB.
I would hope some are not holding back their true feelings regarding Alex.

its ok to say that the only reason you are "rooting" for Alex is for us to get a higher pick....but I won't shy away and say that i'm rooting for Alex and Chiefs just because Alex and the Chiefs.

when Alex threw his first TD, my arms went up and I got excited....and again I don't think its because of the whole 8 game win thing, but i would think that most here have been cheering Alex TDs on Sundays for nearly 8 years now (while sure critiquing along the way)....so it would be a natural reaction to cheer again when he scores....well at least until more time passes from him not being on our team.

if its ALL about our draft picks...then the right approach would be to root like crazy till 8 wins....then unfortunately.. root like crazy they lose the rest of their games..lol. so that the pick is still in the middle of the 2nd and not basically a high 3rd.

but that would invest to much weird confusing emotion so I'm just going to root for them to win their games... I don't like the Broncos, so it would be nice to have the Chiefs throwing a wrench into the NFL's wishes.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I would hope some are not holding back their true feelings regarding Alex.

its ok to say that the only reason you are "rooting" for Alex is for us to get a higher pick....but I won't shy away and say that i'm rooting for Alex and Chiefs just because Alex and the Chiefs.

when Alex threw his first TD, my arms went up and I got excited....and again I don't think its because of the whole 8 game win thing, but i would think that most here have been cheering Alex TDs on Sundays for nearly 8 years now (while sure critiquing along the way)....so it would be a natural reaction to cheer again when he scores....well at least until more time passes from him not being on our team.

if its ALL about our draft picks...then the right approach would be to root like crazy till 8 wins....then unfortunately.. root like crazy they lose the rest of their games..lol. so that the pick is still in the middle of the 2nd and not basically a high 3rd.

but that would invest to much weird confusing emotion so I'm just going to root for them to win their games... I don't like the Broncos, so it would be nice to have the Chiefs throwing a wrench into the NFL's wishes.

I sure hope Afrikan isn't holding back his true feelings about being a full on Chiefs fan.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Only one thing needs to be said. On offense, they only had one key change and that was QB. You can say they also switched coaches, but I think the change in QB is a bigger difference.

As for which team has a better defense. How many defensive probowlers did KC have and how many did we have? The defenses are actually comparable but not even the best defenses can overcome the amount of turnovers they had last year.
We agree. That defense had the same players last season but the QB kept giving the ball away. When they kept the ball, Charles gained 1,500 yards but much of that was negated by terrible QB play.

Now the defense is still doing a great job and Charles is having another good year, and the QB has not turned it over once. Moreover, as witnessed last night in the 4th quarter, when the team needed a long drive to win the game, Alex Smith delivered it...and he did it with some clutch throws down the field. I was particularly impressed with how he used a 3rd string TE and a backup RB for critical 3rd down conversions. On one of those throws, they showed his eyes going back and forth across the field until he found the open receiver. Good stuff.

Another comment from one of the talking heads last night was that Andy Reid has told Alex Smith to take whatever he sees out there. No training wheels. I don't recall the specific wording but the comment included the intimation that Jim Harbaugh had put restrictions on Smith in where he should try to go with the ball. Those restrictions no longer exist in KC.

With all the negative stuff coming out of Niner land today, it is nice to be able to come over here and have a positive conversation.

That, that pass to the bearded TE was good execution. Why do I think Alex actually got a lot of time to pass yesterday. As for training wheels. I don't think Jim had training wheels on Alex, I do think Jim or Roman didnt want to see Alex passing up open looks downfield whereas Andy is happy with any 5 yard gain which makes Alex comfortable to do whatever he wants, which is that he wants to check down most of the time.
you know i dont know about the check down most of the time. i think its more of, what player do i have the most trust with, and i feel that will fight for the ball. Remember when they had the comparison on Davis Morgan and Crabs. He only had the problem with Crabs, which if when u go back, you'll see that his INT ratio was the biggest with him. And VD he trusted 150 percent, meaning many of those long plays and deep throws,, and bombs were to Davis. Then i really feel that last year before he had the concussion, that Crabs was starting to be the go to guy for him.

So while many call him captain checkdown still, lol. I think as they said it a few times last night. Alex is not gonna throw the ball into double and triple coverage, he just doesnt make mistakes with the football. then u see him thread that laser from the endzone with that first down conversion in the 4th quarter. so i think its more of take what the defense gives u then take your shots if they are needed.

For me, it hasn't ever been about throwing into double teams. It has been about passing up on open receiver but tight throw 15 yards down field. However, I am a fan of the game and he IS finding more open targets, which is fine. In all honesty, he is doing exactly what Walsh would have done, which is using the pass to extend the run. Teams would jump for joy if there RB goes 5 yards a pop but why dont they do it for the same per pass? Walsh used to jump for joy if his offense pieced a drive like that together. BUT, the biggest difference is that Alex does have a weakness and that is not throwing to the open but small window WR. I don't know why teams don't just man the WRs and focus on the check downs against Smith. I would CB all day and cover the outlets.
The main thing it is working right now for him so I am jumping for Joy because he is applying the true West Coast of the pass being an extension of the run. He has also played against some very undisciplined teams so far. The way to beat the WC is to force the QB to be a deep thrower as that type of QB is t what the WC is specifically designed for. This is why Vick never worked out for Reid but McNabb and Garcia did.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone