LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I know going for the deep pass was brought up by someone else. I just want to further the thought. It was brought up also by the announcer for the game. Dude said Smith should try for the deep pass because the Dallas D was crowding the line. But the more I think about it and was watching the game while he said that, the more it seems retarded to me, when the short and the intermediate high percentage throws are there to take from the defense. It was there all game, just whether the connections were made due to execution or not. Smith did hit Avery for 31 yards to convert a 3r&13 to continue a scoring drive. With Smith and Charles running, the Chiefs were in a lot of 3rd very convertible 5-10 yards --occasionally they backed themselves up with penalty. Why the hell would you want to get away from trying to convert those 5-10 yards for the 1st down conversion, for a low percentage deep throw that very possibly may not connect and end a drive.

Kinda like going deep on 3rd down when all you need is 5 yds for the first down marker. And going back to your point, throwing short or intermediate gives and added positive of not requiring the offensive line to pass block for an extended time. They only have to pass block for a 5-10 yard strike. The short routes develop quickly for Smith to get rid of the ball.

Niners could have used a little bit of this last night

Soon enough, I am going to look closer at some of the circumstances of failed conversions. I do remember a few drops that concerned me. One thing I don't like is seeing Smith in the shotgun when the down and distance is 3rd and 4 or less... makes little sense to me. You have one of the best RBs in the game... at least make the D play honestly instead of having no concern over the run threat and always throwing it there.

More to what you were saying.. that OL was simply not protecting well often... so 5-7 step drops and deep route progressions were not good solutions.

I think the Chiefs were trying to spread out the Dallas defense to give Charles room to run and out of the backfield. Similar to what the Rams were doing with Steven Jackson when he was with them and Faulk before that.
If the Niners play like they did last night, the Chiefs will have more wins than the Niners. I hope that doesn't happen.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
So....when the season's over and we get our draft pick. Does this thread get closed?

Yeah. It will be moot then.

However, it will not last that long: Should Smith have a poor performance in an upcoming week (which, as most QBs do, he will), the usual suspects will show up and crow, the thread will be locked, bannings will occur, rinse, repeat, thank you, come again.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
would it bother and threaten you so much, if not? and if so... why might that be?

Well, it wouldn't really make much sense.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
So....when the season's over and we get our draft pick. Does this thread get closed?

However, it will not last that long: Should Smith have a poor performance in an upcoming week (which, as most QBs do, he will), the usual suspects will show up and crow, the thread will be locked, bannings will occur, rinse, repeat, thank you, come again.

maybe you mods shouldn't be so sensitive about a player who is not even a niner anymore. just a thought

Hey! Why isn't crowing allowed if Smith has a poor game? It happens when he plays well...what's the dealio, bro?
Originally posted by susweel:

maybe you mods shouldn't be so sensitive about a player who is not even a niner anymore. just a thought

Not about the player, hasn't been for a LONG time. You know that, though... Making your post puzzling.

Hey! Why isn't crowing allowed if Smith has a poor game? It happens when he plays well...what's the dealio, bro?

What's your goal with it? There is over 42,000 threads and you are worried about this one? Sounds personal. Nobody said you couldn't criticize when he has a bad game. We are saying be respectful, don't get personal, and be fair. Most arent

This often isn't even about the player... it's just a sneaky way to incite and take digs at other posters that others have targeted for hurting their feelings in past conversations..... and most people understand this by now. If I had my wish, this thread would be locked immediately and the name Alex Smith never spoken on any SF sites ever again. But oh well... that could never happen.

There are 42,000 threads and this one leads to more arguments, which is why we monitor it. Just an answer.

• dj43
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Don't want to talk Niners right now so....

Welts creased Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith's forehead. The bridge of his nose was bruised. His left elbow was flaming red.

If anyone personified what it took to slug out a 17-16 win over the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, it was Smith.

Smith led the Chiefs in rushing with a career-best 57 yards against a Dallas defense that was crowding the line of scrimmage with the intent of stopping running back Jamaal Charles.

Smith was under constant pressure from Cowboys pass rushers DeMarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer and Jason Hatcher but still completed 21 of 36 passes for 223 yards, two touchdowns, and perhaps most important, no interceptions.

"In the trenches, when it's time to buckle up, he's all in," said wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, who caught Smith's second touchdown pass. "You should see the look in his eyes when he's demanding … and controlling the offense. I never had a quarterback like that.

"He's tough, he's not going to back down …"

Read more:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/15/4484019/smith-inspires-chiefs-with-running.html#storylink=cpy

Listening to a big tough guy like Brandon Albert say the play of his QB has inspired him to put it on the line for the team says a lot about Smith's play and the respect he has developed in his teammates. That was one of those games that a gutty team with an inspiring leader will win...and a team lacking those things will lose. It takes more than fantasy numbers to win those kinds of games. Romo loses. Smith wins.

Next question?
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
What's your goal with it? There is over 42,000 threads and you are worried about this one? Sounds personal. Nobody said you couldn't criticize when he has a bad game. We are saying be respectful, don't get personal, and be fair. Most arent

I just don't understand why this thread would even exist once the season is over. This IS a 9er board, is it not? If people would like to follow and discuss a player who is no longer on the team. I'd suggest they go to the (insert player's team) board.

I just don't understand why this thread would even exist once the season is over. This IS a 9er board, is it not? If people would like to follow and discuss a player who is no longer on the team. I'd suggest they go to the (insert player's team) board.

It's in the NFL thread is it not?

You are right. Good idea. We should get rid of every thread not niners. Baseball, football, college, cars, girls, screw em all! Niners!!!!! My wife just asked me about the weather tomorrow, I said "b***h weather doesn't play strong safety!"

Why have a NFL sub-forum at all then?

Everyone here is a 49er fan, some go further to be football fans, some enjoy following more than one team.
This board is structured to accommodate all types.
Why b***h about it?
Share 49ersWebzone