LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i think i might DVR this game

Oh, I have no doubt that you will, if you are able.

And if you are not able to and don't watch it, I suspect you will claim to have anyway.. just to twist the box scores into your very own.
I'm very curious to see how AS plays..i will DVR..in case no one has on at the tailgate
I like to watch Smith and the Chiefs too, but DVR the game...?

I'm pretty sure I don't give a s**t enough about them to do that...Watch them when I can, but if I missed a game or a few out of my schedule...oh well, on to the next one.
smith is my backup QB in FF this year lol. i only need him for one game so i hope he tears it up hahaha.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I wouldn't get my hopes up. That was a recurring conversation in Niner Talk- about how we were "hiding" the offense in preseason and whenever regular season came up, we weren't actually hiding anything...we were just a conservative offense.

Have a feeling this may be the same situation...again and I think it does have a lot to do with the QB. If a QB's strength is to be efficient, then curve balls do not need to be thrown. Alex could be the Greg Maddux of football. He may be able to excel in a wide-open offense but that would be deviating from what he prefers to do on the field.

So you are saying, his preference aside, he may be able to do both-- operate in a wide open offense and a conservative one. Isn't that what a good qb is suppose to do for his team.

lol. Not the first time I've encountered one of those pure Joecool statement doe. Kinda like a double negative that cancel itself out into a non statement.

Smithers was a spread QB in college so i dont see why he wouldnt be able to do it in the pro's the guy is really smart and has become a pretty solid QB over the years despite the hate he still gets around here form some
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I wouldn't get my hopes up. That was a recurring conversation in Niner Talk- about how we were "hiding" the offense in preseason and whenever regular season came up, we weren't actually hiding anything...we were just a conservative offense.

Have a feeling this may be the same situation...again and I think it does have a lot to do with the QB. If a QB's strength is to be efficient, then curve balls do not need to be thrown. Alex could be the Greg Maddux of football. He may be able to excel in a wide-open offense but that would be deviating from what he prefers to do on the field.

So you are saying, his preference aside, he may be able to do both-- operate in a wide open offense and a conservative one. Isn't that what a good qb is suppose to do for his team.

lol. Not the first time I've encountered one of those pure Joecool statement doe. Kinda like a double negative that cancel itself out into a non statement.

I was trying to be political and not stir things up. In actuality, he may be able to excel but it is highly unlikely and every NFL coach who's coached him knows this which is why they aren't hiding jack s**t in any Alex Smith ran offense.

How's that?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Smithers was a spread QB in college so i dont see why he wouldnt be able to do it in the pro's the guy is really smart and has become a pretty solid QB over the years despite the hate he still gets around here form some

Agreed. And as it was intelligently stated in the article posted a few pages back, he is very capable of running a wide open offense. It was pretty much consensus that he was best from a shotgun, spread, chuck it around style. Harbaugh reeled him in and made him ultra conservative, especially in the red zone. It worked for the team's success, but then everyone labeled Smith a "game manager." I think he finally has a coach who will utilize him to all of his strengths. It should be interesting to watch.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Agreed. And as it was intelligently stated in the article posted a few pages back, he is very capable of running a wide open offense. It was pretty much consensus that he was best from a shotgun, spread, chuck it around style. Harbaugh reeled him in and made him ultra conservative, especially in the red zone. It worked for the team's success, but then everyone labeled Smith a "game manager." I think he finally has a coach who will utilize him to all of his strengths. It should be interesting to watch.

yes yes!

That offense was primarily based on pre-snap reads that would always single out the weaker defender which is Alex's strength. It does not work as well vs more complicated and talented defenses where even if there is a mismatch on the 3rd cb with your 2nd or 3rd WR, the coverage still will be tighter than it was in college. THAT is why it would be much more difficult for Alex to have success in it the same way Brady has. The better QB's will still make the throw to the mismatch even if the coverage is tight. Alex will hold it longer or not throw at all.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

That offense was primarily based on pre-snap reads that would always single out the weaker defender which is Alex's strength. It does not work as well vs more complicated and talented defenses where even if there is a mismatch on the 3rd cb with your 2nd or 3rd WR, the coverage still will be tighter than it was in college. THAT is why it would be much more difficult for Alex to have success in it the same way Brady has. The better QB's will still make the throw to the mismatch even if the coverage is tight. Alex will hold it longer or not throw at all.

Then how do you explain his red zone success prior to Harbaugh? The red zone is EXACTLY where QB's must do what you're talking about, and he was great at it until Harbaugh decided to run for three straight plays and kick field goals.

Yeah, no real QBs actually study the defensive backfield to look for and expose favorable matchups. There can be no favorable matchups with guys like McCluster, Kelce, and Jamaal Charlies? is it? We have all heard that Alex just can't and refuses to throw into tight coverage like ever and stuff.
I was trying to be political and not stir things up. In actuality, he may be able to excel but it is highly unlikely and every NFL coach who's coached him knows this which is why they aren't hiding jack s**t in any Alex Smith ran offense.

How's that?

I did noticed the MAY
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Yeah, no real QBs actually study the defensive backfield to look for and expose favorable matchups. There can be no favorable matchups with guys like McCluster, Kelce, and Jamaal Charlies? is it? We have all heard that Alex just can't and refuses to throw into tight coverage like ever and stuff.

In order to be considered elite, the QB must close his eyes after he breaks the huddle, and not open them until the ball is snapped. Then make a decision. ELITE STATUS fulfilled!
  • Jiks

Let me ask you this. If Alex throws 10 more times a game and keeps his percentages up and QBR similar do you not think his yardage and td's will go up? He threw for 158 his last game by half. You look at his entire career and the more he actually throws the better he is in every single statistical category. This idea that he can't excel makes no sense to me. So if Alex throws more than 22 atempts per game in theory it would seem his yardage will go up dramatically and his td's should go up as well. He may take a hit on efficiency and QBR but stats thus far prove other wise. Guy has improved in every category since year one. Suddenly Alex doesn't seem like such a horrible QB based on stats that everyone has such a huge boner about. Now I know this is hypothetical but still I think looking at these stats proves a good point. If Alex can keep his efficiency up I see now reason statistically he can't be viewed as a mid to top tier QB.

Then how do you explain his red zone success prior to Harbaugh? The red zone is EXACTLY where QB's must do what you're talking about, and he was great at it until Harbaugh decided to run for three straight plays and kick field goals.

You mean a lot of the misdirection plays and play action? What does that have to do with the spread? I know he threw a handful of tight passes (normal for most QB's) in his career but most were wide open.

Now the bold is where his positive traits come into play. He has a top level ability to dissect a defense presnap and he is the reason why he finds the open receivers. Having said that, there has been many times where he will take the sack and that helps to not decrease his read zone passing stats. It's the age old question, is a player truly efficient or is it because his volume is much lower than other QB's?

There's a reason why Akers broke a record for most FG's made in a season.
Share 49ersWebzone